Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince

I hope people follow tinadoll's example of putting any spoilers INSIDE of spoilers! :wink2:

Well

Click For Spoiler
I hate people who ruin good things before people have a chance to see/ read it..Come on give people a chance to FINISH the book. Then we have conversations

I've seen a few people who claim to have finished the book already. I'm nowhere close. I guess I'm just lazy or tired.

I HAVE IT AM READING IT KNOW WHO DIES OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG (OMG

and i'm telling NOONE

339991[/snapback]

I read about who died yesterday at some site called the Harry Potter Society.I told my brother,"Admiral Peewee"....Lord,he got mad.I think I ruined it for him. :lol:

I even told him how it happens.

BTW,how do I create a spoiler?

Edited by Conundrum

A spoiler is made by highlighting whatever you don't want other people to see and clicking the [spoiler ] button at the end of the list of buttons. That or just [spoiler ][/spoiler ]

You guys are so lucky to live near major bookstores... there are no major bookstores near me, so i have to drive for an hour before i even get to a mall! I hope that by the time i get there, there will be some left... :lol: Also, i thank that person on the last page FOR RUINING IT FOR ME! I read your warning, but i didnt think you would actually tell the whole main point...

YES! I'M GETTING THE BOOK!!!!!!! I'm getting it from amazon.ca.. i dont have a credit card,but my friend does and im gonna put money in his account and then he will order it and i will have the book within 1-2 days! YES!!!!!! BUAHAHAHAH

I have it on good authority that the information Conundrum got from the Harry Potter Society site was a load of BS.....

It was just put there to fool people.

Edited by admiralpeewee

I finished the book last night.

My first impression, was thank the lord this book was so much easier to read than Order of the Phoenix. In that regard, I think it was as flowing as Prisoner of Azkaban.

Obviously the wizarding world is at war but it isn't as dark as people were predicting.

Thoughts about what things mean.

Click For Spoiler
Are you sure you want to do this?

Click For Spoiler

Horcruxes. As soon as I finished this chapter I felt that Harry's scar may be one. Especially since Dumbledore said not all 7 had been made at the time Harry's parents were married. I think this adds to the prophecy and she's made a way for him to survive in book 7. His "death" at battle with Voldemort will really be Voldy killing a part of himself and Harry will live.

Also, isn't it obvious that one of them is at Grimwald place? From Lexicon, an inventory of things they found there in book 6.

The Drawing Room

The curtains of the drawing room were infested with Doxies and the writing desk had a Boggart in it. A nest of dead Puffskeins was found in the sofa. A tapestry hangs on the wall showing the Black family tree. There are dirty, glass-fronted cabinets on either side of the mantlepiece which contain a variety of sinister and Dark Magic items which didn't seem to want to leave their shelves. These include:

rusty daggers

claws

coiled snakeskin

tarnished silver boxes engraved in unknown languages

a fancy crystal bottle with a opal stopper filled with blood

biting silver snuffbox, which holds Wartcap Powder

many-legged tweezer-like instrument which scuttles like a spider

music box that makes everyone fall asleep

locket that no one can open

ancient seals

dusty box containing an Order of Merlin First Class given to Sirius' grandfather for Services to the Ministry

large golden ring with a Black family crest

family photos in silver frames

Snape: Big deal, he's the half blood prince. It means nothing really. You knew that once that book was found, that it was Snapes and therefore it was him.

However, I don't believe that he's evil.

I'm positive Dumbledore knew exactly how he was protecting Draco, and all the conversations between them. I think the look of hate on his face was more the hate that he was put into such a situation.

Snape will return in year 7, he will die, and he will die vindicating himself and showing why Dumbledore trusted him.

Dumbledore: Oh I hate to say this, especially since those silly girls who posted those threads, "sirius isn't dead" all over Harry Potter websites of OotP.

That said, there's a small part of me that wonders if this potion that DD took while in the cave may be able to save him, kind of like in "The Mummy" movies. Oh how ridiculous I feel for saying that.

I don't think that's the end of DD though. His portrait is still hanging in Hogwarts, though Harry swears he isn't returning. Did he choose to be a ghost? Will Fawkes return to Harry, showing some sort of help from DD from beyond?

It seems Harry swearing NOT to go back to Hogwarts is a very good opening for his obtaining Grimwald Place and spending time there in year 7.

Over all, the best book since Azkaban.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

My first impression, was thank the lord this book was so much easier to read than Order of the Phoenix.  In that regard, I think it was as flowing as Prisoner of Azkaban.

Obviously the wizarding world is at war but it isn't as dark as people were predicting.

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler

Horcruxes.  As soon as I finished this chapter I felt that Harry's scar may be one.  Especially since Dumbledore said not all 7 had been made at the time Harry's parents were married.  I think this adds to the prophecy and she's made a way for him to survive in book 7.  His "death" at battle with Voldemort will really be Voldy killing a part of himself and Harry will live.

Also, isn't it obvious that one of them is at Grimwald place?  From Lexicon, an inventory of things they found there in book 6.

The Drawing Room

The curtains of the drawing room were infested with Doxies and the writing desk had a Boggart in it. A nest of dead Puffskeins was found in the sofa. A tapestry hangs on the wall showing the Black family tree. There are dirty, glass-fronted cabinets on either side of the mantlepiece which contain a variety of sinister and Dark Magic items which didn't seem to want to leave their shelves. These include:

rusty daggers

claws

coiled snakeskin

ancient seals

dusty box containing an Order of Merlin First Class given to Sirius' grandfather for Services to the Ministry

Snape: Big deal, he's the half blood prince.  It means nothing really.  You knew that once that book was found, that it was Snapes and therefore it was him.

I'm positive Dumbledore knew exactly how he was protecting Draco, and all the conversations between them.  I think the look of hate on his face was more the hate that he was put into such a situation. 

Snape will return in year 7, he will die, and he will die vindicating himself and showing why Dumbledore trusted him.

Dumbledore:  Oh I hate to say this, especially since those silly girls who posted those threads, "sirius isn't dead" all over Harry Potter websites of OotP.

That said, there's a small part of me that wonders if this potion that DD took while in the cave may be able to save him, kind of like in "The Mummy" movies.  Oh how ridiculous I feel for saying that.

I don't think that's the end of DD though.  His portrait is still hanging in Hogwarts, though Harry swears he isn't returning.  Did he choose to be a ghost?  Will Fawkes return to Harry, showing some sort of help from DD from beyond? 

It seems Harry swearing NOT to go back to Hogwarts is a very good opening for his obtaining Grimwald Place and spending time there in year 7.

340723[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
Excellent theory regarding Harry's scar! I hadn't thought of that, but what an excellent tie-in. Did you notice that there was only one mention of the scar in this entire book? I really like this theory.

As to DD dying ... not surprised. I more or less expected it in the last book, but then Sirius bit the dust. You know, in OotP I was so exhausted by the time Jo finally killed off Sirius, I just didn't care.

This time around I actually cried .... more for Snape being the one to kill him than for DD actually dying.

And I'm sorry, I think you are wrong about Snape. If he were truly on DD's side and killed him because DD asked him to do it and understood he was only protecting Draco, then why did Snape stupefy Professor Flitwick? Why did Snape not simply hide Draco somewhere in the castle after DD was killed and then join the other Order members in fighting off the Death Eaters? I don't think that a "good" Snape would have allowed a group of Death Eaters to penetrate Hogwarts in the company of a WEREWOLF who particularly likes to bite children.

And DD had a solution for saving all of the Malfoys ... If he and Snape were really on the same page, I would have thought that option would have been decided upon as a course of action when things came to a head. Not "kill me when Draco fails to do so and then run off with those nutters."

Rowling thinks she is writing a children's book (even though I'd bet most of her fans are over the age of 20). I think this particular plotline has resolved itself in a very straightforward manner. She has misdirected us for 6 books over Snape's allegiance ... unfortunately, I think that this was the big "reveal" for this book, Snape's swan song if you will. Oh, we'll see him again and Harry is going to kick his rear in Book 7, but there is no redemption nor explanation for Snape's behavior other than he has been evil the entire time.

This, of course, is just my opinion. I am still reeling from that fact that Snape was the trigger man ... sickened really. He has always been one of my favorite characters ... it's going to suck to see Alan Rickman offing Michael Gambon on screen.

I'm going to go back to wailing and gnashing my teeth now .... :(

My first impression, was thank the lord this book was so much easier to read than Order of the Phoenix.  In that regard, I think it was as flowing as Prisoner of Azkaban.

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler

Horcruxes.  As soon as I finished this chapter I felt that Harry's scar may be one.  Especially since Dumbledore said not all 7 had been made at the time Harry's parents were married.  I think this adds to the prophecy and she's made a way for him to survive in book 7.  His "death" at battle with Voldemort will really be Voldy killing a part of himself and Harry will live.

Also, isn't it obvious that one of them is at Grimwald place?  From Lexicon, an inventory of things they found there in book 6.

The Drawing Room

rusty daggers

claws

coiled snakeskin

ancient seals

Snape: Big deal, he's the half blood prince.  It means nothing really.  You knew that once that book was found, that it was Snapes and therefore it was him.

I'm positive Dumbledore knew exactly how he was protecting Draco, and all the conversations between them.  I think the look of hate on his face was more the hate that he was put into such a situation. 

Dumbledore:  Oh I hate to say this, especially since those silly girls who posted those threads, "sirius isn't dead" all over Harry Potter websites of OotP.

That said, there's a small part of me that wonders if this potion that DD took while in the cave may be able to save him, kind of like in "The Mummy" movies.   Oh how ridiculous I feel for saying that.

I don't think that's the end of DD though.  His portrait is still hanging in Hogwarts, though Harry swears he isn't returning.  Did he choose to be a ghost?  Will Fawkes return to Harry, showing some sort of help from DD from beyond? 

340723[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
Excellent theory regarding Harry's scar! I hadn't thought of that, but what an excellent tie-in. Did you notice that there was only one mention of the scar in this entire book? I really like this theory.

As to DD dying ... not surprised. I more or less expected it in the last book, but then Sirius bit the dust. You know, in OotP I was so exhausted by the time Jo finally killed off Sirius, I just didn't care.

This time around I actually cried .... more for Snape being the one to kill him than for DD actually dying.

And I'm sorry, I think you are wrong about Snape. If he were truly on DD's side and killed him because DD asked him to do it and understood he was only protecting Draco, then why did Snape stupefy Professor Flitwick? Why did Snape not simply hide Draco somewhere in the castle after DD was killed and then join the other Order members in fighting off the Death Eaters? I don't think that a "good" Snape would have allowed a group of Death Eaters to penetrate Hogwarts in the company of a WEREWOLF who particularly likes to bite children.

And DD had a solution for saving all of the Malfoys ... If he and Snape were really on the same page, I would have thought that option would have been decided upon as a course of action when things came to a head. Not "kill me when Draco fails to do so and then run off with those nutters."

Rowling thinks she is writing a children's book (even though I'd bet most of her fans are over the age of 20). I think this particular plotline has resolved itself in a very straightforward manner. She has misdirected us for 6 books over Snape's allegiance ... unfortunately, I think that this was the big "reveal" for this book, Snape's swan song if you will. Oh, we'll see him again and Harry is going to kick his rear in Book 7, but there is no redemption nor explanation for Snape's behavior other than he has been evil the entire time.

This, of course, is just my opinion. I am still reeling from that fact that Snape was the trigger man ... sickened really. He has always been one of my favorite characters ... it's going to suck to see Alan Rickman offing Michael Gambon on screen.

I'm going to go back to wailing and gnashing my teeth now .... :(

341180[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler

Well JK herself said not to like Snape so much when OotP was released, and thus she knew this was happening.

Can I ask, is it Snape you like or Alan Rickman? :huh:

DD pleads with Snape.

He has revulsion and hatred etched in his face.

Why?

Because DD knew all along about the unbreakable vow. He and Snape we in communication about everything.

He had to see the possibility of this and he told Snape to keep his cover so that OotP could still gain info on Voldy.

I'm sorry you're so revulsed.

I've always hated Snape. Hated L. Malfoy too until I saw Jason Isaacs in that blonde wig of his!!! :(

Click For Spoiler
because its ALAN RICKMAN.. he made Snape HOT..Sorry.. Snapr and malfoy are prats..i can't belive what happened..SHUCKS

Click For Spoiler
That's why I asked, there are numerous threads on HP sites with women drooling over Rickman, and completely forgetting what he really is.

So, think he's part vampire? :(

Click For Spoiler
Noooo..he's a half blood..Which makes no sense..God he is hot.

Click For Spoiler
Noooo..he's a half blood..Which makes no sense..God he is hot.

341212[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
I think old saggy face is an excellent actor and his voice is ok, certainly not as good as Sean Connery's or James Earl Jones, but I just don't get the sexy part.

Although he did look very good in the dress for the boggart scene!! :lol:

Snape isn't sexy, it's who plays him. :lol:

Click For Spoiler

Well JK herself said not to like Snape so much when OotP was released, and thus she knew this was happening.

Can I ask, is it Snape you like or Alan Rickman? :lol:

DD pleads with Snape.

He has revulsion and hatred etched in his face.

Why?

Because DD knew all along about the unbreakable vow.  He and Snape we in communication about everything.

He had to see the possibility of this and he told Snape to keep his cover so that OotP could still gain info on Voldy.

I'm sorry you're so revulsed.

I've always hated Snape.  Hated L. Malfoy too until I saw Jason Isaacs in that blonde wig of his!!! :lol:

341186[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
I've always loved the BOOK character Snape. I wish they'd never even made the movies ... they pretty much suck. I was just saying that about Alan Rickman because that is going to be one hell of a scene .... he is an awesome actor. I just hate to see that Snape really is just the one- or two-dimensional character that he's turned out to be. There's no real backstory (and none coming), no in-depth character development there. He's been bad from the beginning and all the info was right there in front of us. We as adults reading these books have begun to expect more, but in the end, these books are children's literature. Nothing is going to be very in-depth and nothing ever really has been ... it's just a good story.

Same with Petunia (big reveal in OotP DD has been communicating with her. There'll be no more info on that front in spite of all the really good and sometimes wild theories floating around out there on the HP boards).

Same with Kreacher, Dobby, Winky and the rest of the house elves ... we've got all the info we're going to get on them as well.

The Centaurs are done ... Firenze will be able to go back home to the forest now. I doubt we'll hear about it.

The Giants, too, will get a sentence or two in Book 7 "They've all decided that the Dark Lord is crazy, so they're sitting this one out."

We may get more story on the Maurauders and Lupin and Pettigrew may yet meet again ... I wouldn't count on it though.

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler
That's why I asked, there are numerous threads on HP sites with women drooling over Rickman, and completely forgetting what he really is.

So, think he's part vampire? :lol:

341194[/snapback]

No, I don't think Snape is part vampire ... :lol: She doesn't have time to get into much more about him and honestly, what would be the point of making Snape a vampire?

Again, hats off to you on that Horcrux theory. I do think/hope that Regulus Black is "R.A.B." (it's probably just wishful thinking that she won't keep introducing new one- or two-dimensional characters just for the sake of having a new name in the book.) It makes the most sense, brings Grimmauld Place back into it, cool if Reggie wasn't really dead just hiding somewhere and not such a bad guy after all. It won't happen that way, though.

I thought we were supposed to find out something big about Lily in this book? Did we? Other than she was a "dab hand" at potions and a member of the Slug Club? And was the significance of Harry's eyes just that Sluggy couldn't resist them when Harry was trying to ferret out the memory from him? If that was the "big thing" we were supposed to find out about the eye-color and Lily herself .... :dude:

Click For Spoiler

I'm sorry, I know that it sounds like I don't like these books. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think I just need to stop trying to read so much into them. It really is just a simple child's fable presented in a more or less original way.

Edited by gul_nodrog

Click For Spoiler
I was expecting something in regards of a "confession" when DD showed up to pick up Harry and Aunt Petunia would have, out of surprise, said something to show how much knowledge she did have of the wizarding world.

I think this may happen in year 7 when Harry sets off to Godrics Hollow.

I also think this will be the time of the "eye" discovery of why it's so important.

I've always held the theory,and have been posting it for several years, that Harry's eye color is from Lily, so therefore his line to Gryffindor goes through Lily, NOT James.

Godric Gryffindor knew what Slytherin was up to, so he did something to protect his family. He did some sort of "bind" on their magic so that Slytherin couldn't wipe his family out. Binding their magic allowed his family to forget their history over time, and brought them safety by being "non registered" and mixing into muggle world.

But every once in a while, those green eyes appear. They show a witch or a wizard who is truly of the line, and are powerfully magic.

In any regard, I think year 7 will show Harry his history, especially since he's going to GH.

Click For Spoiler
Further evidence that Harry's scar MAY be the horcrux?

from lexicon

THE SCAR

"Never wondered how you got that mark on yer forehead? That was no ordinary cut. That's what yeh get when a powerful, evil curse touches yeh -- took care of yer mum an' dad an' yer house, even -- but it didn't work on you, an' that's why yer famous, Harry." (PS4)

Dumbledore looked very intensely at Harry for a moment, and then said, "I have a theory, no more than that ... It is my belief that your scar hurts both when Lord Voldemort is near you, and when he is feeling a particularly strong surge of hatred."

"But ... why?"

"Because you and he are connected by the curse that failed," said Dumbledore. "That is no ordinary scar." (GF30)

I think this is a huge clue, this last quote from Goblet of Fire from Dumbledore.

I wouldn't be surprised if he himself hadn't considered the scar.

Of course I could be wrong. :lol:

Click For Spoiler
I'm very, very sure, that Snape is really evil. And I also think that R.A.B. ist Regulus (Alphard) Black (Alphard was the name of his uncle, and the second given name is often a name used by relatives). But if it is not Regulus, it's another ex-Death Eater, and I think this will be interesting. And I'm crying for my 2nd favourite character. *cry*

Click For Spoiler
Because I think, that Dumbledore wouldn't want someone to become a killer. To use an unforgivealbe curse. He wouldn't ask for that. That's not Dumbledore's style. And I don't think that Dumbledore would sacrifice himself for Snape and Draco. Dumbledore is good, but he isn't stupid.

And I really don't understand, why Snape being evil is such a bad thing. I liked him much better this book, especially in the 2nd chapter. We don't have a childish stupid man any more, we have real good Big Bad with style. I also liked him being the Half-Blood Prince, being more than a Slytherin oddball. Snape being an excellent wizard, having good friends (Narcissa), being rational and funny (2nd chapter) - having other feelings than hatred (loyalty towards the Malfoys), caring about people - even if these people are bad. That was great in this book.

I don't think that he becomes 2-dimensional through becoming evil. I find him even more fascinating now. I think that he was at least partly loyal to Dumbledore for a while, but at the end he made his decision - for Voldemort, for his friends. And to be honest: Why should he stay on Dumbledore's site? Everybody hated him in the Order, they hated him as a teacher, he had a good, but not outstanding job... But among the Death Eaters, he is the Prince. The "Dark Lord's favourite", the "most trusted advisor". I cannot blame him for chosing this site.

Of course these reasons are very subjective and selfish - and everyone could say, that Snape must be interested in being good. But I think we make a mistake there, growing up among people, who aren't good, spoil people forever. All these Death Eaters; Draco, Snape, Narcissa; they are evil - but they have been victims once. Victims of spoiled families, of old-fashioned views. I don't think, that they have a conscience like "normal" people.

And these circumstances - not having a real conscience, not being accepted on the good site, being the "Prince" on the bad site - make it very plausible that Snape made a decision for Voldemort.

I still hate Snape for doing it though. :lol: