Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Pretty good article

That was a great article, thanks (I'm not exactly new to trek anymore, but it's still good). I especially liked the description of Data - like Spock, but cuter :unsure: Of course, I think there's much more to Data than that, but still...

I think that this is a great way for people to become accustomed to Star Trek. Although I have known Trek for about 16 1/2 years total.

And the description of Data- I love that, even though there should be more written. He is not just cute, after all. . .there IS SOOOOOO much more to him!

Being a big DS9 fan I liked this Quote...

Deep Space Nine is the darkest of the shows. I personally think of it as the Miami Vice of Trekdom.

LOL

Captain Jean-Luc Picard French with an English accent, kinda grumpy and arrogant, but magnificent.

I don't agree with their description of Picard (the part in read and italics). And what is with their links. The one for Data goes to the site of someone who is a bit obsessed. She is the one who was in Trekkies with the photo album with millions of pictures that looked the same and took the "Brent Breaks" on her balcony.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard French with an English accent, kinda grumpy and arrogant, but magnificent.

I don't agree with their description of Picard (the part in read and italics). And what is with their links. The one for Data goes to the site of someone who is a bit obsessed. She is the one who was in Trekkies with the photo album with millions of pictures that looked the same and took the "Brent Breaks" on her balcony.

And people call us Soong Sisters crazy :) :unsure: ?

Also I completely agree, that is really not such a good description of Picard. As for the French with an English accent part. . .with Universal translators in the 24th Century, does it really matter that he doesn't have a French accent?

BRENT Breakes??? Ooook then.

I'm sorry, though, but I didn't like Picard much in the first few seasons - at that time, I agree with the description. But he gets so much better.

Also, if he has an english accent, then why doesn't Troi? (Actually, a french guy with an english accent is so easy to make fun of it's the subject of half the jokes on the 5MV site - which is hilarious I have to say again :unsure:)

In Trekkies she talks about how she had found out that he lived not far from her home. When she went on her balcony she could see houses that were close to his. I notice she has updated her site in quite some time - ever since he moved.

When Marina Sirtis was originally cast they wanted an exotic sounding accent for her since she was Betazed. However when they cast Majel Barrett Roddenberry as her mother they told Marina that her accent was from her father. Of course when they had her father in Lwaxana's memory in Dark Page he didn't have an accent either. Her accent seemed to tone down a lot over the years. It is almost her real accent in Nemesis when compared to Farpoint.

Ya, I noticed that too (hmm...plot hole? Oh well, I'm sure we can find a way to cover up for it)

They always manage to find a way, and usually a GOOD way too!

In Trekkies she talks about how she had found out that he lived not far from her home. When she went on her balcony she could see houses that were close to his. I notice she has updated her site in quite some time - ever since he moved.

OK, now I KNOW that we are definately NOT that crazy. If I were living near him I most certainly would not be a peeping Tom, even if he is gorgeous :unsure: ! That is incredibly RUDE! However, if I passed him in the street or at a store I would not resist a simple smile and hello :) ! But, Brent Breaks?????? :)

This article is a few years old but it's pretty good. I've only read about half of it so far but I wanted to share it with everyone.

Star Trek for Beginners

I gave this artical to my non-trekkie friends so they could understand what I was talking about and they said it really helped.

lol - then can we count on a few more trekkies or will they just stop making fun of trekkies now...It was a really good article (and I'm glad she included Data and McCoy in her list of must-knows. I also liked the description of Janeway, lol)

Actually only one of my friends bothered to read it. She's not a trekkie but at least she's not an anti-trekkie like some of my other friends. You have no idea how much grief I get from them!

That;s really so shallow "you watch a TV show I don't like so I wont be friends with you"...or maybe it's more like "Star Trek isn't cool, so you aren't "cool" so I don't like you". Jeez, I truly hope that other intelligent life out there is smarter than us because I don't think there's any way we're making it off this planet. Which reminds me:

I read an article about satelites a while ago - apparently, there are so many that are breaking that all the junk is flying into other satelites and eventually we'll have RINGS around our planet from space junk WE put there, essentially trapping us on Earth. gosh humans are stupid (I'm a little concerned right now, OK? this isn't meant to offend anyone).

I think I read somewhere, all space junk eventually loses orbit and falls back to Earth and burns-up. The trick for us is to not create new space junk faster than it deorbits.

Yeah I know, pretty shallow of them. I was glad they displayed their character flaws before I trusted them with any thing important.

Trek is always good for revealing to me if anyone is worth the effort for building a friendship with.

How sneaky of me huh?

A friend will let you have your fun with Trek. A really good friend will give it a try. A real keeper will then say they enjoyed what they saw and go see Nemesis with you. :lol:

I have a friend from work who would put up with my being a Trek fan even though she had never seen it. Because she said she would go see Nemesis with me on opening night, I gave her copies of First Contact and Insurrection so she could familiarize herself with the characters. She really enjoyed them and she really liked Nemesis too. She's a keeper.

A friend will let you have your fun with Trek.  A really good friend will give it a try.  A real keeper will then say they enjoyed what they saw and go see Nemesis with you.  :lol:

That is exactly the way I feel! I think some of the things they like are stupid but you don't see me giving them a hard time. That's why I'm glad that I have one friend who, even though she's not a trekkie, is makeing an effort to like it. And I always have my trekkie friends.

I hear you, can you imagine, a non-trekker could not beleive me when I said I did not watch the West Wing! {{{{{{{HORRORS}}}}}}}

LOve me, love my talking about TREK. I married a Trekkie and even if some of my friends don't like trek, they know that they have to put up with me talking about it OR ELSE!

They also know that i come complete with a full blown Data obsession and this has to be accepted too. (I agree the discrpition of Data was cute, but thre is soon much more to say about Mr. tall, gold and handsome)

I mean, they can not like the show but still be friends with you (and put up with it when you - well, basically I - go on and on. Just like when they go on about something I don't relly care about). But the worst thing is that most people don't even watch the show before hating it. I was once one of those people (sob). I thought that IT was a rip-off of Star WARS...and so I never watched it. Then my brother sat me down, informed me otherwise, and made me sit through an episode of Voyager and I was hooked.