Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

A timeline inconsistency

I was watching "Yesterday's Enterprise" last week on Spike and while I was watching something dawned on me.

"Yesterday's Enterprise" was set 22 years before the Enterprise D's time, in that episode we learn that the Enterprise C was destroyed by the Romulans while defending a Klingon outpost but in the 1st season's "Neutral Zone" we are told that we haven't heard from the Romulans in 50 years.

I'd think that destroying a starship would count as "hearing from" the Romulans lol

but I remember them saying that they dont remember the Enterprie-C being attacked by Romulans, or did they say that in he alternate Universe

but I remember them saying that they dont remember the Enterprie-C being attacked by Romulans, or did they say that in he alternate Universe

338932[/snapback]

That was said in the alternate timeline where the Enterprise C had escaped the attack. In the real timeline though the attack took place.

Something else that just dawned on me is that the Federation had heard from the Romulans when they attacked Khitomer and killed Worf's parents, I'm not sure of the date of that event but it must have been less then 20 years from the time of "The Neutral Zone".

Maybe Starfleet command didn't know the details of how the Enterprise-C was lost until after the launch of Enterprise-D? If that's the case, then both "The Netual Zone" and "Yesterday's Enterprise" can be correct, from a certain point of view.

Maybe Starfleet command didn't know the details of how the Enterprise-C was lost until after the launch of Enterprise-D? If that's the case, then both "The Netual Zone"  and "Yesterday's Enterprise" can be correct, from a certain point of view.

338959[/snapback]

But the Federation did know the details of the Khitomer Massacre, they did know that it was the Romulans that destroyed that outpost. I believe that they knew the fate of the Enterprise C also because in Yesterday's Enterprise a lot was made of the fact that the Klingons would have seen it as a very honorable act on the part of the Enterprise to fight to the death defending them.

Maybe Starfleet command didn't know the details of how the Enterprise-C was lost until after the launch of Enterprise-D? If that's the case, then both "The Netual Zone"  and "Yesterday's Enterprise" can be correct, from a certain point of view.

338959[/snapback]

But the Federation did know the details of the Khitomer Massacre, they did know that it was the Romulans that destroyed that outpost. I believe that they knew the fate of the Enterprise C also because in Yesterday's Enterprise a lot was made of the fact that the Klingons would have seen it as a very honorable act on the part of the Enterprise to fight to the death defending them.

338966[/snapback]

i forgot about that part.

The Federation had not had diplomatic or face-to-face contact in that long period of time. However, there was still ocassional "contact", such as the Khitomer Massacre and the attack on the Ent C. We know that the Federation knew of the Romulan attack on the Ent C because it helped pave the way for diplomatic relations with the Klingon Empire. Also, I was watching "Angel One" on Spike this afternoon and the Ent D was ordered to the Neutral Zone because there were Romulan ships detected on the other side.

No one but the Klingon's who survived Khitomer saw their attackers, and no one but the crew of the Ent C saw the Romulan ships attacking them. The extent of their communication was probably weapons fire, so "no contact" still works for me. :eekout:

That could be used to explain it away but think of it like this, the US hasn't had official relations with Iran since the hostages were taken in 1979 but you can't say that we haven't "heard from them in 26 years" just because there haven't been "official" talks. My understanding from "The Neutral Zone" was that the Romulans had "vanished" for 50+ years. In fact at the end the Romulan commander says something to the effect of "we've been gone for too long but now we're back". If they had been "around" for all that time then I wouldn't think that thet would have considered themselves as "gone for too long".

Something else that just dawned on me is that the Federation had heard from the Romulans when they attacked Khitomer and killed Worf's parents, I'm not sure of the date of that event but it must have been less then 20 years from the time of "The Neutral Zone".

338958[/snapback]

That was Romulan contact with Klingons not the Federation.

338958[/snapback]

339043[/snapback]

But there was a Federation record of the Massacre. That was what was used to prove that Worf's father was not the traitor. Plus the contact wouldn't have to be directly with the Federation to have "heard from" them. The implication in "The Neutral Zone" was that the Romulans had been "gone" for 50+ years. Not just "gone" from direct Federation contact.

338958[/snapback]

339043[/snapback]

But there was a Federation record of the Massacre. That was what was used to prove that Worf's father was not the traitor. Plus the contact wouldn't have to be directly with the Federation to have "heard from" them. The implication in "The Neutral Zone" was that the Romulans had been "gone" for 50+ years. Not just "gone" from direct Federation contact.

339049[/snapback]

The Federation rescued Worf. The Federation got records from the Klingon logs. But I am sure there was a slipup somewhere in that particular plot. It would of been too easy to destroy the truth permantly. I guess the Duras family was pretty stupid.

338958[/snapback]

339043[/snapback]

339049[/snapback]

The Federation rescued Worf. The Federation got records from the Klingon logs. But I am sure there was a slipup somewhere in that particular plot. It would of been too easy to destroy the truth permantly. I guess the Duras family was pretty stupid.

339055[/snapback]

No, the Federation logs were from a Federation ship that was monitoring the situation as it happened. They said there were gaps in the records because the ship was on the outer ranges of it's sensors when it recorded the information. This is what was used to show that the Klingons had altered their captured logs from a Romulan ship.

Laforge compared the Klingon logs to the Federation logs and they saw that the 2 didn't match.