Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Gas prices

I commute an hour each way to work - pretty soon it will be possible that I could take a lower paying job here in town and actually "make" more. It's getting scary.

The latest theory I heard was they were blaming the prices on Hurricane Dennis (they've always got on excuse)

Does anybody have any information on why the prices keep going up?

Have not heard much in the way of theories for this particular price jump, however I did hear a few people say that the reasoning behind the prices was the four storms last year.

It is ridiculous when the prices jump 11 or 12 cents in less than 12 hours. I went to work at about 4:30am and the prices were 2.18, and then when I headed home near 2:15pm they were now 2.29.

Lowest I think they have been in the last month or so was 2.13....but I guess we will not see that again soon . *sigh*

The greed of the oil companies is the reason prices go up. They always have some lame excuse, a broken pipeline, the weather, alien landings,etc. but they are strangely silent when they are forced to report their profits every year. Despite all of the difficulties they always claim to have, just about every oil company still manages to earn 300-600 percent profit over the previous year. Keep that in mind when they give us their excuses for the ever increasing price of gas.

It is ridiculous when the prices jump 11 or 12 cents in less than 12 hours. I went to work at about 4:30am and the prices were 2.18, and then when I headed home near 2:15pm they were now 2.29.

338791[/snapback]

Around here the jump is 20 cents in less than 4 hours ... it rarely goes up or down incrementally. And the price difference between the Sunoco closest to us and the Thornton's about 5 miles from us is 20 cents ALL THE TIME. (Example -- Sunoco $2.41 vs. Thornton's $2.21).

Don't summer fuel requirements cause gas prices to be higher in the summer? That's just another lamo excuse, I know, but one that I have heard before.

I had a thought on this whole thing ... I don't mind the $2.00 plus price per gallon at the pump, but I wish there was some way they could cut fuel costs for truck drivers, trains, etc. etc. etc. Like anyone who is moving merchandise (particularly food and other necessities), providing public utilities, police cruisers, garbage trucks ... give them a real tax break, allow them fuel credits and charge them less per gallon (maybe eliminate or reduce state taxes on gasoline/diesel). And those companies MUST pass on those savings to the consumers by holding their prices down to reflect the lower cost of fuel for their business.

Gas prices will not kill us on our commute to work ... what will really begin to hurt the consumer is higher prices on food, utilities, and local taxes to help pay for the increase in operating costs for utility companies and retailers.

What gets me is how these gas prices are not being reported on, or investigated as HUGE news. You'd think that every politician even considering running for office would be yammering on about this, but they are suspiciously silent, don't you think?

I'm really shocked as to why there is no more of an outrage on the part of the people about this travesty. My business is hugely affected by this. My drivers use their own vehicles and pay for their own gas. The companys whose products we deliver have so far offered nothing by way of a fuel surcharge. I'm already starting to lose drivers over this.

I find it just wrong with all the things that are going on. In Washington the just placed a 9 and 1/2 gas tax. I am mad about this, but it might get more people to get electerics.

well what can you do about it, The goverment could help out the Economy by reducing the taxes on it, I see we have "Synthetic" Oils for the cars, why with that cant they make a gasoline

The greed of the oil companies is the reason prices go up. They always have some lame excuse, a broken pipeline, the weather, alien landings,etc. but they are strangely silent when they are forced to report their profits every year. Despite all of the difficulties they always claim to have, just about every oil company still manages to earn 300-600 percent profit over the previous year. Keep that in mind when they give us their excuses for the ever increasing price of gas.

338793[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more.

I find it just wrong with all the things that are going on. In Washington the just placed a 9 and 1/2 gas tax. I am mad about this, but it might get more people to get electerics.

338898[/snapback]

Except for the problem that most people don't seem to kinow where to get an electric car. I can't think of any dealers in my area that would even come close to selling them.

It's funny - whenever the Post Office raises the price of a letter by a couple of cents every few years people are outraged and as Kor pointed out - gas skyrockets and no one says anything. Can you imagine how much money the USPS is losing because of this?

The auto industry is also to blame. People come up with alternate types of fuel for cars all the time. You see it reported on the news then never hear of it again. When a reporter or someone investigates, they find that the auto industry buys the patent from the inventor and burys it.

I'm not a big fan of government intervention but I would really like to see an honest investigation of the oil and auto companys. Unfortunately, this is very unlikely to happen since most government officials are in the back pocket of the big oil companies.

This is what happens when you go to war with Oil countries

Deal with it :eekout:

It doesn't have anything to do with war because we're not at war with any "oil countries", it has to do with price gauging and high gas taxes. Eliminate the gas taxes and you cut the price of gas almost in half.

I think it has everything to do with to with these countries,because while we inavde them,Oil dimishes and we get the higher prices

howbout we invade Saudi arabia and get thier oil?

Maybe people stop buying thse bulky SUVs and walk more

Guest Ktrek

There is no one single cause for the rising price in oil. We have a lot of people making a lot of money right now. Especially in my dear state of Texas.

However, one of the primary reasons for the increase in oil prices is directly related to China buying up the world oil supply, making oil more scarce and so therefore more precious. If you want to blame anyone blame the consumers of this country who have been willing to buy Chinese goods so they could have lower prices. While we have benefited by lower prices on consumer goods the Chinese have been using that money to build their military and their economy which increased their need for oil. As they have bought up large quantities of oil from countries that have traditionally supplied us those same countries are now able to ask more for their oil. It's called supply and demand. One day soon the consumer lust of this country will be it's own demise. The very Chinese military we are supporting through our consumption of goods will one day invade our soil supported by the dollars we have have spent.

That's my opinion.

Kevin

Where I live, I'm on the cusp of two towns. The funny thing is that if I buy gas on my side of the border I can get it for about $2.07 pg at the cheapest, but if I go to the other side (which is where all of the action's at) I have to fork over at least $2.37 per gallon!

EDIT: Hey, cool! A fellow Texan...not far away from me either. I live in McKinney (right next to Frisco and just above Dallas.)

Edited by Eratosthenes

First off, we are not at war with any country. If you are talking about Iraq, we never got any oil from them in the first place.

However, one of the primary reasons for the increase in oil prices is directly related to China buying up the world oil supply

I don't buy that one. Thats one of the excuses that the oil industry is giving us. China didn't just suddenly buy up all the oil. That would be more of a gradual thing. I think the oil companies just needed a new excuse because nobody believes the other "reasons" they have been giving us every time they do this.

The very Chinese military we are supporting through our consumption of goods will one day invade our soil supported by the dollars we have have spent.

I agree with this 100 %. Everyone is so focused on those countries in the Middle East that they have forgotten that the real enemy is China. I firmly believe that China will be the cause of the downfall of the USA and will control the world in the near future.

Gas prices will not kill us on our commute to work ... what will really begin to hurt the consumer is higher prices on food, utilities, and local taxes to help pay for the increase in operating costs for utility companies and retailers.

Exactly, and that is what I have been explaining to customers when their once $2.11 sandwich now costs them $2.54. Several people just do not want to hear it... but that is the main reason for the price jump at least as far as I have been told (personally, I can see why they would need to do that... however I also partially think it is a "keep up with the Joneses" type deal as well. Gas prices jump which means it is a higher expense for the people who supply our product, and then (I do not have absolute proof this is all a guess on this statement) the product prices go up. Which means the end product(sandwiches, meals, etc) go up, some to the point of skyrocketing.

Several people told me that they vowed never to return to the store, and I told them that I was sorry to hear that (and a couple of them were very loyal regulars) and told them it was something they were more than likely going to see crop up all over town. I mean hey my $1.29 1 liter Mountan Dew now costs anywhere between $1.39 and $1.59 depending on where I go to get it. Another food once cost $1.79 now costs $2.19. And these are not gotten where I work.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Gas is one of the bases of our economy. If the prices for the gas goes up the prices of goods will go up as well. The price difference is passed on to the customers. Businesses can't and should not allow their profit margin to fall because of raising gas prices. If they do that they may go out of business.

Edited by Odie

Gas is one of the bases of our economy.  If the prices for the gas goes up the prices of goods will go up.  The price difference is pased on the customers.  Businesses can't and should not allow their profit margin to fall because of raising gas prices.  If they do that they may go out of business.

339132[/snapback]

Exactly, and if consumers remember from school... they'd remember that fact.

I took economics both in High school and college, it was a requirement at both schools. Well, in college it was either economics or American Government and I chose Macroeconomics because the Amer. Gov course was in the same time space as one of my other required courses for graduation. In HS you had to take both. And what both you and I posted, was something I remember from both times I took the course.

Deal with it :eekout:

339007[/snapback]

There's plenty of oil here in the States that we can use, so I'm not buying that as a reason.

There is no one single cause for the rising price in oil. We have a lot of people making a lot of money right now. Especially in my dear state of Texas.

However, one of the primary reasons for the increase in oil prices is directly related to China buying up the world oil supply, making oil more scarce and so therefore more precious.

339070[/snapback]

which is anothre good reason to use the oil we pump in Alaska and Texas. I read someplace that there is enough oil there to supply the US for centuries.

Gas is one of the bases of our economy.  If the prices for the gas goes up the prices of goods will go up as well.  The price difference is passed on to the customers.  Businesses can't and should not allow their profit margin to fall because of raising gas prices.  If they do that they may go out of business.

339132[/snapback]

but, if prices go up too high, people will stop buying, and then there is no profit.

I thought it obvious but I guess not...

if we stop buying gas then eventually we cannot go to work and pay our car payments leading to the car being repossessed & we begin to starve with no money to buy food then we get kicked out of our home or rental for non payment.

No, they got our coconuts in a vice, we'll pay or else.

which is anothre good reason to use the oil we pump in Alaska and Texas. I read someplace that there is enough oil there to supply the US for centuries.

The problem with that is that we are selling the oil we pump in Alaska to the Japanese instead of using it for ourselves. How ridiculous is that?

I have heard the theory about development in third world countries as well.

I have also read that the US doesn't need more ddrilling as much as it needs more refineries. It looks like some Senator would be itching to get a refinery in his/her state - think of the jobs it would create. I forget how long it has been but it's been a while since a refinery was built.

There are things Congress could do - (besides reducing/eliminating gas taxes)

-tax credits for small cars

-tax credits for carpoolers

-my personal favorite is for companies to have four ten hour day work weeks (staggered amon the staff) (or even let people work at home one or two days a week ) Give tax credits to companies that comply.

I also read somewhere once that about 40% of the gas consumed in the US goes to trucking food across country. Still my pet peeve to find California oranges in a Florida grocery store - but there they are. If people educated themselves a bit - and planted gardens we could reduce some demand.

Gas is one of the bases of our economy.  If the prices for the gas goes up the prices of goods will go up as well.  The price difference is passed on to the customers.  Businesses can't and should not allow their profit margin to fall because of raising gas prices.  If they do that they may go out of business.

339132[/snapback]

but, if prices go up too high, people will stop buying, and then there is no profit.

339225[/snapback]

I can see that happening if there were different forms of transportations like trains and buses that is found in most cities. There are areas in the country that don't have it, and the car becomes the only source of transportation. It doesn't matter how high the costs will go there will always be people to buy the gas, because they no other means of getting around. Try to get ground on the country road without a car.

United States needs to be less dependant on one form of transportation to get back and forth to work.

I'm not too worried about gas prices.

I own two horses.I can just ride into town. :P

The problem with that is that we are selling the oil we pump in Alaska to the Japanese instead of using it for ourselves. How ridiculous is that?

339244[/snapback]

who the heck came up with an idea like that? We should use our own oil first, THEN sell some.

I'd like to ask all of those left-wingers who said that Bush only invaded Iraq for their oil........."WHERE THE HELL IS IT THEN? WE NEED IT!"

Gas around here just jumped another 10 cents since yesterday!