Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Countdown begins

COUNTDOWN CLOCK

TO NEXT SHUTTLE

FLIGHT STARTED

115839main_114brief12.jpg

The countdown clock for the shuttle Discovery mission on Wednesday was started at 6 p.m. EDT, July 10. Countdown Events Timeline

At the latest Countdown Status Briefing, NASA Test Director Pete Nickolenko and STS-114 payload manager Scott Higginbotham said;

...everyone is ready to return the Space Shuttle to flight, to return to the International Space Station, and to return the crew back safely. They reported everything is on schedule and there are no technical issues with hardware or systems. Shuttle weather officer Kathy Winters reported that weather conditions are still indicating only a 30% chance that weather could delay the launch.

Along with taking supplies and equipment* to the ISS, Mission STS-114 is important for it debuts and tests the new external fuel tank design and processes which is hoped to dramatically improve the Shuttles chances against being damaged by falling ice/foam by preventing it from falling off in the first place.

Click For Spoiler

Official information about what exactly has been changed about the design is hard to come by but I did dig up the following from National Geographic News;

The foam-insulating ramp that failed on Columbia has been replaced with a heated plate that prevents ice buildup. Bolts on the external tank have also been reversed and sealed to reduce gas leaks that had weakened insulating foam.

Also, improvements in the camera system which records shuttle launches have been made to improve chances of spotting an ice/foam collision incident. A new camera and laser-powered measuring device attached to a 100-foot-long (30-M) robotic arm that can reach around the spacecraft has been stowed aboard.

Finally, in case a problem is discovered with tiles on a critical area of the shuttle on orbit the astronauts have with them a variety of patches and adhesives special designed since the Columbia Disaster to repair the damage with on a spacewalk.

Critics say it is all not enough, that NASA is pressing for return to flight as soon as possible without ensuring they have done all they can to ensure the safety of flight crews. NASA spokesperson Melissa Mathews addressed the allegations saying she admits that "The risks of shuttle missions can never be entirely eliminated." but, "We have gone far beyond the recommendations made by the investigation board."

Once a very stanch supporter of the Shuttle program I have grown a bit skeptical. I know risks exist but it just does not seem NASA did enough to prevent both its major Shuttle accidents. All the fixes in the world does not bring back the dead, equipment may be expendable but lives are too valuable to be listed as expendable. With all the millions of dollars spent on these missions what could it hurt to spend a little more to ensure accidents don't happen in the first place? The old saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure should have been their credo from the start.

I'm not sure whether you can predict everything - there is so much that can go wrong. I don't think that they can imagine every possibility, every combinations of circumstances. I guess there are just things that are - unpredictable. Today we can say after the Columbia, that they should have done this and that better. But back then nobody even imagined that such a small defect can be the reason for the horrible end of the mission.

Yeah I agree there will always be unforseens but they knew both of the issues that have lead to disaster could lead to disaster. Sure there probably are other things that could go wrong but these two things were at the top of the list.

I remember since before the Shuttles were even built, top issues of potential danger were: a booster burning though a joint &/or ice breaking off leading to a catastrophic re-entry. Foam began to be applied to reduce the chance of ice doing it; on missions after the switch to foam, foam was seen falling off yet they pressed on.

Sometime during the last few years would have been a good time to look at whatever is 3rd on the list and make sure they've done what they can to beef up that area, ask themselves if there is something new in the world that could reduce risk in that area (whatever it is) and apply it before it's too late - again, but I fear they did not.

I know and you know, that you are right. I guess it belonged to these "It's not gonna go wrong"-things. I study medicine, work in a hospital, and there are always these "It's not gonna go wrong"-things. And most of the time, it doesn't go wrong, it turns out alright! Everyone knows how things should be, how things should be done - but if you do it shorter or less concentrated - most of the times it still works. Everyone knows that you should use gloves for nearly everything - but nobody does, not the nurses, not the physicians. Until you have an incident! I guess it's the same with such a big and complex mission. It's just sad that after the first accident that there could happen a second one. But there were a few years between the accidents and they were just less alert.

I'm not sure I like the idea of NASA launching Discovery right now.I don't think everything that can be done to make the shuttle safer,has been done.But what do I know?I'm just a hillbilly :)

God speed and clear skies,Discovery!

Edited by admiralpeewee

Who ever wants to I'll be in the chat room waiting for take-off... T-2:07:00 and counting.

Not so fast Capt Picard...

Launch scrubbed for the day. A faulty "low level cut off switch" is blamed for the delay, another attempt will be made within the next day or so unless fixing the problem requires a roll-back to the VAB.

I know scrubs are disappointing but it's for the best, a shuttle on the pad is a safe shuttle. I never want to see NASA succumb to pressure to launch, a hundred scrubs is better than a destroyed crew.

Yes I know. But, we do need to get back into space... maybe they'll let some of the people here at the site help them... I wouldn't mind helping.

Edited by Capt_Picard

I don't know about them letting us help, probably not (you could apply for job there someday) but I do know the need to fly should NEVER be placed above safety; that is what killed Challenger.

NASA say the earliest the shuttle MAY be ready for flight again is Monday the 18th at 2:00 pm EST. The current mission launch window closes on the 31st of July.