Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Riker and Laforge

In the crew bios for Riker and Laforge it indicates that Geordi is actually OLDER than Riker by a few months. They graduated the same year from the Academy. I wonder why they didn't know each other when they were both assigned to the Enterprise?

Maybe it is like school here in the 21st century. Half of my class I went to school with, I could not tell you who they were. Maybe their circle of friends never crossed?

In the crew bios for Riker and Laforge it indicates that Geordi is actually OLDER than Riker by a few months.  They graduated the same year from the Academy.  I wonder why they didn't know each other when they were both assigned to the Enterprise?

Becase I think they were in difrent filds of learnig.

And that is why Riker and Laforge never met. what do you think? :unsure:

That's one good reason. Also, it's a school! (and probably a big one). You don't always meet all the people in your grade, especially not in other grades.

That's one good reason. Also, it's a school! (and probably a big one). You don't always meet all the people in your grade, especially not in other grades.

Exactly what I said, dsbs! I graduated with 407 other kids in 1998 and there were over 2100 more kids in that school. . .I personally can name around 100 (maybe even less, of course one I COULD name was my sister-she graduated 2 years after me!)

They probably would have had some classes in common. In First Contact Geordi told Zephran Cochran that basic warp theory was a required course at the Academy. In Encounter at Farpoint Riker told Data that he had looked up his file after Picard has suggested him for the away team. I would assume that Riker would have familiarized himself with other crew members and would have seen in Geordi's file that they were there at the same time. It's odd that it was never acknowledged that they were at the Academy at the same time.

Exactly what I said, dsbs! I graduated with 407 other kids in 1998 and there were over 2100 more kids in that school. . .I personally can name around 100 (maybe even less, of course one I COULD name was my sister-she graduated 2 years after me!)

I went to school in some very sparsely populated areas. From grades 5 - 8 we had 2 grades per class. When I was in grade 8, the grade 7 class in our room had 3 kids. My high school took kids from a large area but we still had maybe 200 kids in the whole high school. My final year of high school we had maybe 40 kids in grade 12 of which only 10 graduated.

I went to school in some very sparsely populated areas. From grades 5 - 8 we had 2 grades per class. When I was in grade 8, the grade 7 class in our room had 3 kids. My high school took kids from a large area but we still had maybe 200 kids in the whole high school. My final year of high school we had maybe 40 kids in grade 12 of which only 10 graduated.

I think the smallest class I ever was in was Precalculus in high school there were 6 of us, well, there was 4 of us in University Physics in my sophomore year of college . . .so that'd be my smallest class I was in. Largest was 42. . .in Honors Physics in my senior year of H.S.

I had no idea Laforge and Riker graduated the same year. It makes you wonder how well Geordi did at the academy. In Encounter at Farpoint Riker was a Comander and First Officer of the Federations flagship and Geordi was a lowly Lt. Jr. Grade! It's not un common in school settings for those who are at the top of their class to not pay that much attintion to those at the bottom.. But then again how do you forget a guy with a visor!

I had no idea Laforge and Riker graduated the same year. It makes you wonder how well Geordi did at the academy. In Encounter at Farpoint Riker was a Comander and First Officer of the Federations flagship and Geordi was a lowly Lt. Jr. Grade! It's not un common in school settings for those who are at the top of their class to not pay that much attintion to those at the bottom.. But then again how do you forget a guy with a visor!

That is a good question, when I got the Star Trek Chronology and noticed that Geordi and Riker were at the Academy at the same time, I had to wonder why Geordi was only a Lt.(j.g.), when Riker was a commander. I could figure why they may have never met, since the Academy IS a school. . .but you do have an excellent question and that could keep this thread going on longer!

I think its just cuz Geordi was like a brain and riker was well umm 'not a good boy' if u get my drift.. lol

PLUS Riker was a commander and Geordi was still a Lt..

also i am the same way.. i just looked at our grad sheets and i didn't know half the people were even in grade 12... itd all so weird..

~Laur

I'll never understand how "the brain" didn't get promoted ahead of Riker (Yeah he seems sorta the "bad boy" type!). I mean most of the time it works the other way.

From what I recall of Riker's record he really proved himself in a crisis which really helped his career. He was decorated for the rescue efforts that were later spoken about in Second Chances when Thomas Riker was found. I guess Geordi didn't have that type of opportunity until he came to the Enterprise.

Yes either that, soong_girl, or Geordi's commanding officers were quite tough towards promotions, think about it in the short time we've gotten to see him he was Lt(j.g.), then Lt., and now Lt. Commander. He moved up rank pretty fast on the Enterprise, which always seemed like a firendly environment. Hey, he moved up rank, kinda like us. . .we're in a friendly environment and look at us!