Sign in to follow this  
Angela

London Rocked by Bomb Blasts

London has been bombed in what experts say can only be a human co-ordinated event. So far there are at least six blasts confirmed as having gone off accross London during the rush hour this morning, there are currently no official reports as to how many fatalities there are, though many commuters have metioned seeing bodies under sheets.

At present London has been brought to a standstill, the main targets of the the bomb blasts were the mass transport system ie. the London Underground, and The Bus system.

More details can be found at the BBC

www.bbc.co.uk

DEATHS IN TERROR ATTACKS

A number of people have been killed and dozens injured in a large-scale terrorist attack on London.

At least six bomb blasts have been reported in locations across the city on buses and Tube stations.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said there was evidence of explosives at at least one of the six sites.

Scotland Yard has denied reports they were warned of an attack by Israel minutes before the blasts.

Two people have been confirmed dead and at least 90 people injured in the explosion at Aldgate Station.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke spoke of "terrible injuries".

Witness, Angie, saw the bus explode in Russell Square. She said: "There were a whole lot of people around the bus. Next thing I was on the floor and there were a lot of people on me.

"I thought I was going to be crushed. The bus was ripped out at the back. It must have been a bomb."

The entire Tube network has been shut down following the blasts at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square.

British Transport Police confirmed there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"It's chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," said a spokesman.

One witness said the packed underground train he was on was 200 metres from King's Cross when there was a huge flash.

The train stopped and people were using umbrellas to smash windows of the trains. Passengers were led out of the train by underground staff.

He added people were milling around King's Cross covered in soot.

c/o sky news

Emerging intellegence from Arab scources, according to the BBC have stated that this has a high likelyhood of being an Al Quaeda attack.

1312691.jpg

One of the injured c/o Sky news

1312674.jpg

One of the buses ripped apart by a bomb

1312656.jpg

Injured being treated by Emergency services

All pictures curtesy of Sky news.

Oh my! :blink: The happest day that London could have had had to end in that manner. I cry at the for the people of London. :laugh::laugh: This just shows that the War on Terror is far from over. :rolleyes:

Edited by Odie

personal Note: I spend most of my time travelling in london, these bastards let off bombs in the actual underground tunnels, ther is no escape there, you are trapped with no way out, those that died, were like lambs to the slaughter, they cannot get away with this!

they are now saying that the terrorists responsible did it in the name of Al Queda, which isn't a big surprise. Agreed, this War on Terror is far from over and sadly out of this tragedy, maybe more will realize the need and support the war effort mor than they have been. This must be stopped

Edited by Gamera

How Orwellian. :rolleyes:

I was in College when I heard the news. This is a horrific tragedy, and my heart really goes out to all those who have been affected by these (unconfirmed) terrorist attacks.

It's important that while the emergency services try to rescue those who are trapped, treat the injured and restore order, the issue of any long term counter-measures be put to one side. While it may be difficult, any new counter-terrorism policies shouldn't be decided upon until more facts are known, and we as a nation and our government are in a more rational frame of mind. After all, knee-jerk reactions are exactly what these types of attacks are trying to inspire, that's why it's called terrorism.

I strongly hope that our politicians refrain from trying to make political capital following these attacks, at least for a short while. (From the looks of things right now it looks like my hopes will be fulfilled)

My Heart felt sympathy to the great city of London

and its people.And to the British Empire.

My prayers are with you.

You my English friends are a very stout people.

You lived through the Blitz in WWII.

If the cowardly _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in your own choice)

Think this will detere you they are sadly mistaken.

On a personal note. Glad you are safe ANGEL.

What a horrible thing to wake up and hear has happened after such happiness yesterday over the Olympic news.

My sincerest condolences to the families of those victims.

I think this was per-planed. So, who ever won would get attacked.

U.S. now at Orange Alert

Capt. picard I was thinking the Same thing, I hope thy figure out who the ******* are who did this and kill them all.

I really really think about putting my own little jihad on the people that do this. WHY! WHY CAN'T WE JUST LIVE IN PEACE?!?! Terroists stay in your own countrys that are away from the "evil hebrew infadials" and leave us be.

I apoligize if I offend anybody I am useally not like this just that dear God all because we do not agree we blow up each other that is sad.

May the grace of God guide the victims and there familys to a happy joyous peaceful end. And thank god angel you are safe too!

King I know what you mean. One of the reasons I like Trek is because of what it shows humans will be after we get over our little petyness(not sure how to spell that). I just hope we live to see it through.

this has really ticked me off, I mean attacking unarmed Civilans is just cowardly I dont care what the cause is for its just disgusting

King I know what you mean. One of the reasons I like Trek is because of what it shows humans will be after we get over our little petyness(not sure how to spell that). I just hope we live to see it through.

337769[/snapback]

I don't want to insult anyone, but our problem is actually that we are all very depressed and sad and soooo devastated - now.

But in a few days, there are other headlines... We will forget and go on with our - mostly - selfish lives. I don't want to say that anyone of you are selfish, because I don't know you and so I cannot say that. I mean this in general. Everyone is sad now, but nobody tries to change it, tries to change the world.

I just hope we live to see it through.
sounds just very passive. Of course we hope, but shouldn't we actually do something?

We are all talking now, how horrible this is. How horrible the world is in general. But that's not the way, is it? Accepting how things are and just hoping that it will be better in the future?

If I read the statements of the politicians or if I hear my study buddies complaining how terrible this is, I would love to shout at them, that this is the world we are living in. And that we are accepting it, day after day. And if we don't try to change it, we will never be able

to see it through

I know that I'm new on this board and shouldn't criticize anyone this way. You can eliminate me now, if you want to.

I wanna add my sympathies to the people of London.

I'm from NY and have dealt with the harm and the sorrow of Terror first hand.

I want to hug all the freinds i have made from England and I hope they are safe.

Anglea, Hope your ok

I guess, according to CNN, that nothing warned them of these attacks. No radio chatter or anything... also, some guy was just on CNN (cant remember his name) and he said " London is the greatest city, because we all live together... We won't be broken up because of these cowardly attacks" And i think he's right. I think that these attacks will just strengthen the togetherness of londonians. Also, were you near the bombs angel??? or did you feel aftershocks or anything?

At Least 37 dead, 700 wounded. Below, a minute by minute timeline account of the events following the attacks:

Click For Spoiler
8:51 am An explosion occurs on an underground train traveling between Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations on the Circle Line.

8:56 An explosion hits an underground train traveling on the Picadilly Line between King's Cross and Russell Square stations.

9:17 A third explosion occurs on a train approaching Edgware Road station. The explosion blows a hole in a wall, hitting a second train and possibly a third.

9:47 A No. 30 bus on Upper Woburn Place near Tavistock Square is destroyed by a fourth explosion. Pictures show the roof of the double-decker bus ripped off and witnesses report seeing body parts in the road, Reuters reports.

10:02 Scotland Yard says it is dealing with a "major incident."

10:47 Home Secretary Charles Clarke says multiple London blasts have caused "terrible injuries."

11:15 European Union commissioner for justice and security affairs Franco Frattini tells reporters in Rome that the blasts in London are terrorist attacks.

11:35 London police chief tells Reuters news agency there are "indications of explosives" at one of the blast sites.

12:00 pm British Prime Minister Tony Blair says the "barbaric" London blasts are terrorist attacks and were designed to coincide with the G8 summit in Scotland. He will return to London.

12:15 A group calling itself the Group of al-Qaeda of Jihad Organization in Europe lays claim to the blasts, posting a statement on an Islamist web site. The claim cannot be independently verified.

12:27 Police and hospital officials tell Reuters that a total of 185 people are wounded across London, 10 of them seriously and seven critically.

12:51 Emergency services personnel tells CNN writer William Chamberlain that all survivors had been evacuated from Kings Cross station, leaving the dead below ground "in the double digits."

12:53 Britain's Home Secretary Charles Clarke tells the House of Commons there were four explosions in central London and the underground system will be closed all day. They would decide later in day whether to resume bus services. Earlier six attacks were reported.

2:38 U.S. law enforcement sources say the British government has said that at least 40 people have been killed. London hospitals report at least 300 wounded, the Associated Press reports.

3:26 London deputy police chief Brian Paddick says police had no warning of the attacks and have not received any claims of responsibility. He says police are keeping an open mind over who carried out the attacks and that it is unclear whether a claim of responsibility by Al Qaeda is genuine or whether suicide bombers were involved. No arrests have been made in connection with the attacks.

3:41 Assistant chief ambulance officer Russell Smith says the service has treated 45 patients with serious or critical injuries. A further 300 patients have been treated for minor injuries.

4:25 Police issue the following casualty hotline number for people concerned about friends and relatives: +44 (0)870 1566 344.

4:32 Transport authorities say Docklands Light Railway services in east London and mainline rail services have resumed, except out of King's Cross and Victoria stations. Buses in central London are also returning to service. All underground services remain suspended.

5:43 Prime Minister Tony Blair says that Britain will not be intimidated by terrorism and promises intense police and security services action to bring those behind the bombings to justice. "I would also pay tribute to the stoicism and resilience of the people of London who have responded in a way typical of them," says Blair.

5:49 The United Nations Security Council passes a resolution condemning the London attacks and expressing "outrage and indignation at today's appalling terrorist attacks against the people of the United Kingdom that cost human life and caused injuries and immense human suffering."

Copyright 2005 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report

I heard about this a few hours ago, and frankly, it made me very angry. These people MUST be stopped.

My prayers and thoughts with the people of London and the friends I have there.

:) I am watching the news now,we just got back from the beach about 30 mins ago and my heart has sank after seeing this,i dont live in the UK anymore but i am still PROUD to be british!!!...but i am shocked... i thought london was ready for this kind of attack,they have had years of expeirance with kind of thing after years of bomb threats by the IRA :blink:

My heart and prayers go out to the familys who lost love ones on this black day of the greatest country in the world.

This is an upsetting day to be sure, but lets hope that the sadness and anger that will well up over this will turn into resolution. We are in a world war against terrorism and we need to stand strong to fight this war.

My thoughts and prayers go out to our British members, their families and to Great Britain as a whole.

i thought london was ready for this kind of attack,they have had years of expeirance with kind of thing after years of bomb threats by the IRA

I think the emergency services were prepared, or at least as prepared as possible, for these kind of attacks, judging by their reaction speed. They were able to airlift medical staff onto the scene within minutes of a bomb going off, and cordon off large areas of city very quickly.

I'm watching Fox News right now, and the images from London are eirily similar to those we saw in NYC almost 4 years ago. I hope we find the ******** who did this, and send them to meet their maker. This is a horrific tragedy, but I know the people of London and the United Kingdom will not be detered by this. the people of the UK and especially Londoners are not easily shaken. My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this tragedy.

:blink: My prayers go to all that were effected by this horrid deed.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

My most heartfelt condolences go out to the people of the United Kingdom.

Cowardly attacks like these are exactly the reason I am so fervent in my support for the War against Terrorism.

My thoughts and prayers have been going out since I heard about this horrible news at work at about 6am EDT. :blink:

Edited by Yillara_Soong

As someone who has lived through it too -- all I can do is send my thoughts & good wishes to all those affected. I will be thinking of you...

I found out about this just before i went to work so havnet been able to keep on top of it. It truly is a sad day for England but in a sense it might be a good thing. It might finally wake up the Prime minister and get him to pull his finger out of his _ _ _ and do something about it. Since september 11th we have heard alot of talk about anti terrerism but not much action, Maby this is the wake up call england needs to finally do something about it.

For those in this thread that have expressed concern about me, I am safe and well around 10 miles from the centre of London (suburbs) I normally travel to london via the London Underground, and I had planned on going to London today, however I had to call a hospital first thing in the morning, by the time I was through with that I had heard of the attacks.

For me I feel the exact same way as (and possibly worse) when 9/11 happened, I feel scared, the london transport system is wide open to this kind of attack, at present they believe the blast that blew open the bus took out a terrorist with it, he and a possible companion were thought to be taking their lethal package to a near by train station. Did something spook them??

The Edgeware blast is thought to have occured there because of Paddington Police Station, which is the most secure station and is where all terrorists are held.

London is used to terrorisim via the IRA, Iranian bombings etc, however this made them look like nothing spectacularly special, I never felt this god awful with the IRA. Sure they killed in 20+ years more than 3000 but they never did multiple bombings and NEVER trapped people intentionally in tunnels when the blew up bombs, neither did they ever try to kill civilians in such a wholesale callous way. I don't condone the IRA, but whoever has done this (more than likely Al Quaeda) has definatly blown the IRA's attacks out of the water.