Sign in to follow this  
Angela

London Celebrates

:blink:

Millions of pounds have been spent and hours of presentations made, but it all came down to the 117th sitting of the Internation Olympic Committee in Singapore. With thin the first round Moscow, a city that dreamed far ahead of their means was knocked out, then New York's dreams crashed, in the third round of voting Madrid was knocked out. A tense hour was spent with Paris and London battling it out for votes. The Olypic president came forward and was presented with a sealed envelope holding the results, by a 12 year old female sailor.

The scene thousands of miles away in France and London were tense, but as they rain in Paris begain the president, a French man himself, announced that London had won the nid to hold the olympics, the mood in france was one of disbelief and of disappointment. In London's Trafalgar Square, commemorating a battle that the British had won against the french and Napoleon, the scene was altogether different.

A party that had begun in the morning, which had come to pin drop silence, erupted in screams of delight an jubilance. Ambassadors unable to make the journey to Singapore and who had been entertaining the crowds jumped up and down and tears could be found on many faces as champagne bottles were passed around the crowd. The party is expected to last well into the early hours of the morning, come rain or shine.

The biuilding work for the Olympic village in the Lee Valley area of Stratford London is set to begin within 24 hours and was going to be built irrespective of the bid winning or not. But it does give a deadline for infrastructural improvements to all of Londons Transport system. :rolleyes::laugh::laugh: :partytime: :partytime:

:blink:

Congratulations indeed, and good show for the other four contenders. Maybe this time we'll be able to win some medals. :laugh:

I am concerned about the long term problems the 'Olympic legacy' may pose, like the ones that have befallen Sydney and Athens. An example is that after the Olympic Games have finished, the various new buildings and parks have run up colossal debts. I must admit that I don't know a great deal about the london bid; hopefully they've prepared for every eventuality.

In any case, Paris in 2016! :rolleyes:

Edited by NordicBearskin

see they needed to take an example out of the London games, The olympic Stadium was turned into a Basebal field and alot of the other venues are being used by colleges in the area, dont just build buildings for the sake of having them, make sure they have a purpose afterwards, which means look into the long-term future not short-term

The buildings were already being planned as on going redevelopment of the area, so that we ot the games on the back of it is great!

I'm happy as well, of course. :laugh:

London really deserves that... I saw the huge campaign advertisements at Trafalgar Square when I was in London in March and I told my mom "London's gonna make it, you'll see"... seems I was right :rolleyes:

CONGRATULATIONS! :laugh:

I was so incredible happy that London beat out Paris...I feel like celebrating with everyone in the UK :rolleyes:

i always thought the French Flag was just plain white, then they said no hey use that just to surrender

Alright, let's stop the anti-France and anti-French comments.

We don't want to have a thread that is supposed to be a celebration thread to end up in Qo'nos or closed.

May I also add my

:laugh::rolleyes::laugh:

to the city of London. And the english people.

Alright, let's stop the anti-France and anti-French comments.

We don't want to have a thread that is supposed to be a celebration thread to end up in Qo'nos or closed.

337580[/snapback]

Or both. :rolleyes:

Congratulations Brits! :laugh:

Well, I wore my London, England shirt yesterday. I guess it helped. :rolleyes:

Edited by Data

As a native New yorker i must first say

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *sniffle* WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And then:

HEY LONDON YOUR ROCK :laugh: See you in 2012..Better you then us.. we don't need a 500 milliion doller stadium :rolleyes::laugh:

I'm still in shock, I can't believe that we won them. The result was very close 54 votes to 50 votes. It's so exciting. :laugh: :laugh: :blink: :blink: :rolleyes:

I kind of would have preferred Paris, because it's just 3 hours from Aachen... I could have taken a train at Aachen Central to Paris Nord - I would have been there. Now I have to take a train to Brussels and from Brussels to London, that's 4 and half hours! But I'm happy for England and I love London!

Congratulations!

Congrats, London. You'll do a great job.

A

P.S. I know how much you wanted it and we sure heck didn't. :rolleyes: