Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Question About Uniform

A question I have always had about the movie uniforms from Star Trek II to VI is why does the uniform have a flap that can be pinned up or pulled down? Also, can you also tell me how you can tell a persons rank on the same uniform?

A question I have always had about the movie uniforms from Star Trek II to VI is why does the uniform have a flap that can be pinned up or pulled down? Also, can you also tell me how you can tell a persons rank on the same uniform?

336432[/snapback]

I can't answer the question about why they designed the uniform to have the flap but I hope this helps with your second question:

Arrow #1 points to the rank insignia in the image of Kirk. Arrow #2 points to the flap fastener and shirt in the image of Spock. The colour denotes what division the person is in. I've included pictures of Uhura, McCoy and Scotty so you can see the different colours.

tosmovie.jpg

Here's a link to an article at Memory Alpha regarding rank insignia for the various series.

I hope this helps.

I'll take a stab at the first question, the flap is simply the closure point of the vest, it's wraping across the chest and being pinned with the insignia is simply decorative design imo. I believe it is intended to be closed at all times but Kirk has it open (ST2) in imo, just because he can (by rank, anyone else would be out of uniform) or perhaps having it open presents a sense of calm to the crew in an otherwise tense situation in his opinion.

In ST 6 McCoy makes a big deal of pulling it open as he goes off duty.

Hey all

I have this uniform I got it from Ebay yes Ebay is my best friend LOL it's not what I call movie accurate so I'm working on the the flap has a twist clap to keep it from coming undone and also on the left sleave there is a white wide strip on it for what's called peeps and squeaks there for how many years you been in servire the rank is also above that too look for it in the movies. The last think I need to get done is when you open the jacket your suppost to see snap buttons and chains on it but mine had velco so I'm having the velco removed and sew the snaps and chains on myself so I will be busy for about a week lol anyway if there anything else you need to know ask away.

Brian

You know the more I think about it the more you right it would be a good way for someone to cool down makes good sence. I do love that uniform can't wait to finish it and make it more accurate.

Brian