Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

B4 - Is he really a prototype?

I had posted this at startrek.com previously but I thought I would get some opinions here too. I have tweeked it a little to take into consideration previous comments. However I think this is further proof that I have way too much time on my hands. :)

In Nemesis Geordi said he thought B4 was a prototype because his neural net was not as sophisticated as Data's but what if Geordi is wrong and B4 was created after Data. Here are my episode references:

1. In Eye of the Beholder Data talked about his struggles becoming sentient. He said that he had feared cascade failure as new, more sophisticated pathways were created replacing other less sophisticated ones.

2. In Brothers, if you look closely at one of the tables in Dr. Soong's home you will see android parts on it - a gold hand and a foot - so Dr. Soong must have still been working on building other androids.

3. In Inheritance Juliana Tainer said that there were three androids that suffered cascade failure before Lore was constructed but she said nothing of any other prototypes.

So here is my theory:

Dr. Soong constructs the three protoype androids that suffer cascade failure. The prototypes are from Series A. He has designations for these prototypes so they would be A1, A2 and A3 until he finishes constructing them and then he names them.

When the three fail he makes adjustments to his design and starts his B series - B1: Lore; B2: Data; B3: Juliana Tainer and B4. Now B4 was unfinished when Dr. Soong died - fully assembled but without all of the programming. They didn't tell us what happened to Dr. Soong's belongings and research after Brothers so it is possible that B4 was kept in Dr. Soong's lab area or another part of the home that we did not see. Maybe Dr. Soong had been working on B4 when Juliana Tainer left him but then put B4 in "storage" when he started working on the emotion chip for Data. His plan being to complete B4 after giving Data the chip.

Now what if the Remans find Dr. Soong's home on Terlina III and the assembled B4 and take him. In Nemesis Shinzon said they were lucky to find B4 so it is possible that they could have stumbled onto Dr. Soong's lab. We know that they were able to get into Federation space undetected when they planted B4's parts on Kolarus III so it is possible they were in Federation space before that also undetected.

This is just theory and supposition but this scenario does give hope that B4 will one day be a whole lot more than he is now.

I would have loved to see them stumble into Soongs lab in Nemesis..course that would have ruined the whole story..but its always nice seeing something familiar.

I seem to remember having read somewhere that the Remens got B4 from the Cardassians some how. I think like a lot of things the explination of where B4 came from found its home on the editing room floor. Nemesis was such a great story, it should have been 3 hours long!