Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Data, Lore and the Crystalline Entity

This is one area that has always bothered me. We were never given a date as to when Lore or Data were created (just Data’s re-activation date). We know from Datalore that Lore lived amongst the colonists but we don’t know for how long before he was disassembled. We also don’t know how much time passed between Lore’s deactivation and Data’s creation but we do know from Brothers that Lore was deactivated before Data’s creation. In Inheritance, Juliana Tainer indicated that Data too had lived amongst the colonists but his memories were wiped out to make room for the colonists’ logs and journals. Why this was necessary was never explained considering the enormous memory storage capacity of Data.

From my calculations there was a great deal of time that Data lived on Omicron Theta. In Birthright when Data discovered his dream program Dr. Soong was described as being 40ish. It is safe to assume that Data was created when Dr. Soong was 40ish. In Brothers Dr. Soong is described as being around 100. So that would mean Data was approximately 60 in Brothers and in his 70’s in Nemesis. This puts his creation date around 2308 and would mean that Data lived with the colonists for approximately 30 years until the entity attacked in approximately 2336 (I believe in DataLore they said that it was 2 years after the distress call was made before Starfleet arrived).

So here’s my problem, if Lore contacted the Crystalline Entity and brought it to Omicron Theta, why did it take over 30 years for it to attack the planet? :)

You can say it now, I have way too much time on my hands. :)

I do not think there could be any way that Data could have lived with the Soong's for 30 years. If so, Juliana would have gotten over her fear that Data was going to malfuction by then.

the memory wipe never made sense as explained. It was a theory of a friend of mine that something happened that they wanted Data to forget. I find that this was the only thing that fills in the blanks for me...since Juliana was the one who asked Noon to leave Data, perhaps Data overheard this and was hurt by it. Maybe she wanted him wiped so he would not remember that. Wonder why they did not wipe Lore? Since he was being so bad, that would have made some sense, but the excuse they used for Data was not a good one.

If I change one of the assumptions, Dr. Soong's age in Brothers, it will still leave my main question a mystery.

Lore was disassembled before Data was created. Dr. Soong was 40ish when Data was created. He was 50ish when he created Juliana Tainer and this was supposed to have happened not long after they escaped from Omicron Theta. Data was deactivated for approximately 2 years on Omicron Theta after the attack so I will use the assumption that Juliana Tainer was created around the same time as Data's re-activation. The problem here means that Dr. Soong would have been around 75 in Brothers but his character looked much too old to be only 75. I know he indicated that he was ill however Lore made the comment that Dr. Soong looked fine so that would indicate that he did not look older than his age. By comparison, Jean-Luc Picard (not Patrick Stewart) is in his 70's in Nemesis.

So I'll offer an alternative:

I will assume it did not take long for Dr. Soong to create Data and that Data was created in 2334 and lived among the colonist for 2 years. I will also assume that Lore was disassembled in 2334. The Crystalline Entity attacked in 2336. Data was re-activated in 2338.

Which leaves my original question still unanswered, why did it take the Crystalline Entity 2 years to attack the colony after Lore was in contact with it? With the speed that it reached the Enterprise in DataLore it should have been able to destroy the colony before Lore was even disassembled.

Maybe the entity had some other business to tske care of...or maybe it was a REALLY long way away, or Lore had to perfect the way he contacted the entity...?

I think I may have brought a point up on the other boards, or I may not have. In the Star Trek Cronology Book, they place Data's original activation date as somewhere in 2336, and Lore was late in 2335. And Juliana's as either 2336 or 2337. But it was kinda made clear throughout the series that Data was 26 when the show started. And he mentions that he was 34 when Generations took place.

So it kinda looks like this:

2335-Lore is created

2336-Data is created

2336-2337-Juliana created/Crystaline Entity Attacks

2338-Data is reactivated

2341-Data Enters the Academy (when he is 3)

2364- He becomes 2nd Officer on the Enterprise (26)

2371-End of TNG

early 2372-Generations (34)

2373-First Contact (35)

2375-Insurrection (37)

2379-Nemesis (41)

I think this is basically how his cronology is worked out in the book (but, of course they didn't have Nemesis in it)

Now maybe I am the one with too much time on my hands! :unsure: :) :)

That chronology follows my second scenario. I'll have to try to find that book. Who wrote it? I still don't understand why it took the Crystalline Entity so long to attack. The fact that they had drawings of it hanging in the lab seems to indicate that it orbitted for a while too. Strange!

That chronology follows my second scenario. I'll have to try to find that book. Who wrote it? I still don't understand why it took the Crystalline Entity so long to attack. The fact that they had drawings of it hanging in the lab seems to indicate that it orbitted for a while too. Strange!

Michael and Denise Okuda. I loaned that book out but never got it back, so I cannot check for certain on the dates, but since I am such a fan of Data. . .I kinda studied his bio and the chronology and encyclopedia. :unsure:

Why does it have that Juliana was "created" before the "giant snow flake" attacted? Soong made her an android because she was hurt in the attack and went into a coma. He made the new android and transferred Juliana's mind...thoughts...what ever...into "it" and then it took him three days after the real Juilana died for him to activate the android. It was my understanding that this android was activated in the lab that is shown in "Brothers"

no idea about why it took so long for the attack to take place. Maybe you should write a story and explain it, sister. It would be good reading.

Hmmm! Once upon a time there was a woman who made it with an android named Lore. She had to leave him due to a moment of insanity (hers). Lore couldn't bear that she was gone and called the giant snowflake that he thought was friendly. When she came back Data was there and the big snowflake was still in the sky. She did not worry about the snowflake because she was from Canada and they have lots of snowflakes there so she did it with Data. Then the snowflake attacked and she had to leave Data again because of temporary insanity. By the time the doctors helped her it was too late.

How's that? :lol:

P.S. I will apologize in advance to anyone this offends.

Hehe. Come on, there's not THAT much snow in Canada! Today was beautiful. I nearly burst into song, but then I decided I didn't want to ruin it for anyone else.

Hehe. Come on, there's not THAT much snow in Canada! Today was beautiful. I nearly burst into song, but then I decided I didn't want to ruin it for anyone else.

It was beautiful here today too. I only have a small strip of snow in my backyard. It's always the last to melt because it only gets a few hours of sun in the morning because of the neighbour's house.

Good story though!!!

HEY! Guys, come on *BLUSHING BIG TIME*. . .don't steal ideas for stories. Ha-Ha, just kidding. See I saw it this way....

UMM on Second thought not quite ready to write that down yet. Had something here, came up with something better. .. ..and then forgot, oh well. Maybe Later!