Sign in to follow this  
BKY1701

Self hosted sites

I was wondering how many people have self hosted sites. By that I mean they run on one or more of their own computers a server for outside viewing. I just started to run one and there are many benefits (such as being free, having file system access and total control over the site).

I have many, many websites. I have about a billion, with every free website hoster out there. ( I think thats what your talking about, right?) i dont OWN any websites, that is www.mywebsitenamehere.com

I am not talking about free hosts OR paid hosts; I am talking about running a server process on your PC (it is possible just look at my IP 148.244.150.57). It’s the only way to truly be in control of your site.

um, your IP didnt work.

333625[/snapback]

Odd, it worked before... try http://xana.no-ip.biz/

can you tell me how to do that? i would really be interested.

First you need to have a high-speed dedicated IP connection. This is only needed if you want people outside to view your site.

Then download Apache. Install Apache.

Put into your browser localhost (you MUST turn off any internet proxys first) and hit enter. If you see a web page talking about Apache then it is installed.

To edit the files go to C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs ; that is your site / (root); put your files there.

For outside viewing you must turn off any NAT firewalls OR configure them to allow incoming connections on port 80, then go to http://www.no-ip.com/ , join, go to Hosts / Redirects => add, then in the Hostname box put the name you want the site to have, then for the IP put your public internet IP, create the host then get a proxy (not always needed) and go to your [name].no-ip.[X] and you will be able to see your site.

when u say "high speed", do you mean wireless or faster internet? Because i have dial up, and it isnt that fast. Also, can you explain a little more? I don't really get that (could you pm me with step-to-step instructions)?

when u say "high speed", do you mean wireless or faster internet? Because i have dial up, and it isnt that fast.

333634[/snapback]

You can host it on dial-up; but I HIGHLY recommend against it. Why? Disconnects, inability to use the phone when online, slow speeds, changing IP and most of the time they block port 80 (the main server in/out port). The more stable and dedicated a connection the better.

You can host a site for yourself only without an internet connection also, that may be useful if you just want to play around with a server.

Also, can you explain a little more? I don't really get that (could you pm me with step-to-step instructions)?

To get the server running all you need to do is download and install apache. http://www.sinacatri.gob.mx/apache/httpd/b...-x86-no_ssl.msi

To see if it is running put "HTTP://localhost/" in your browser; this will show you any websites being hosted on your computer.

To edit the site’s files go to C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs (you can’t us FTP unless you install that also; I recommend just using the windows explorer to ‘upload’ files)

I do not have a server of my own. But I am maintaining one for a friend right now. He actually has several servers with several addresses. What I am beginning to learn is that you better have some damn good protection from hackers. He has been hacked twice. Fortunately, they have not been serious.

He is planning to start a service to provide domains for others to host sites. He is not quite there yet.

I am happy with the service I use for my site. It is about $20.00 a month. But it is well worth the price. They have provided a safe and efficient service. I think the service that VBG uses is great too.