Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

What 5 episodes?

Answer this.

Lets say you know someone that knows nothing about Star Trek. They "think" they hate it but have never seen even one episode.

Your mission, should you accept it, is to convert them into a Trek fan.

You have to give them one episode from each 5 series to watch. Which 5 episodes do you give them? 2 Parters count as 1 episode.

Keep in mind, the person you are trying to convert isn't a huge Sci-Fi fan.

For me:

TOS

City On The Edge Of Forever (Great story)

TNG

Hollow Pursuits (Fun episode)

DS9

Emissary (It introduces the Characters and is a good story)

Voyager

Future's End (Good time travel episode, Fun one)

Enterprise

Carbon Creek (Great early season 2 story without a lot of Sci-Fi)

(This message will self destruct in 5 seconds...)(Ok that was for the mission Impossible fans... lol)

Click for Spoiler:

If this post resembles anyone it is strictly a coincidence. :lol:

TOS: City on the Edge of Forever (Great drama/Tear jerker)

TNG: Chain of Command (Great Drama)

DS9: The Visitor (Very Emotional)

VOY: Non Seqitar (Great Kim Episode)

ENT: Carbon Creek (Great episode with little sci-fi)

TOS - Balance of Terror

TNG - the one where Q becomes human

DS9 - Badda Bing, Badda Bang, or the ep where Sisko dreams he's a 1950's scifi writer

VOY - Tuvix

ENT - if it was a galpal, Acquisition, gotta love the blue underwear. :lol: for a guy - Dead stop... great explosion

Let's see...

TOS: The Trouble with Tribbles (everyone seems to like that one)

TNG: QPid (saw that with a friend once, one who was sick of hearing me talk about Star Trek, and she loved it!)

DS9: Little Green Men (never seen it, but it seems like a good one)

VOY: Scorpion parts 1 & 2 (Amazing storyline, plus they get to see the Borg) (Others that I might chose: Shattered and Timeless)

ENT: The Expanse

Well my Dad was a non-Trekkie/normal person but I converted him to the dark side (opps wrong show :lol: ).

The stories that got him hooked were:

TNG: All Good Things (Such a good ending that left him wanting to see the rest of the series)

TOS: Where No Man Has Gone Before (I think it was the novelity of seeing the fellow who played Gary, as my Dad could remember him from 2001).

DS9 and Voyager: Don't know as my Dad does not like these shows at all as the move away from individual stories to plot arcs left him rather cold.

Enterprise: Has to be Broken Bow - what a fantastic start.

2 Parters count as 1 episode.

In our Minds Perhaps...but Technechly they are listed as Two Different Episode Productions...'cept "The Menagerie"

anyways, I'm not quite sure how to answer this one at this time...But I have Suggested to my Star Wars Friends to try out DS9 B)

2 Parters count as 1 episode.

In our Minds Perhaps...but Technechly they are listed as Two Different Episode Productions...'cept "The Menagerie"

anyways, I'm not quite sure how to answer this one at this time...But I have Suggested to my Star Wars Friends to try out DS9 B)

I mean for the purpose of picking the episodes, if you were to pick Redemption for TNG than Part 1 & 2 could be considered as 1 episode out of the 5 needed to suggest to the non-believer.

Also, if you look at the DS9 DVDs, Disc 1 only has 3 episodes listed. Emissary. Also, the credits only roll at the open and end one time. It's a 2 hour movie as opposed to a 2 part episode. So some 2 parters do count as 1 episode in some instances.

Also, if you look at the DS9 DVDs, Disc 1 only has 3 episodes listed. Emissary. Also, the credits only roll at the open and end one time. It's a 2 hour movie as opposed to a 2 part episode. So some 2 parters do count as 1 episode in some instances.

True,But the Second Half actually is Counted as The Second DS9 production on the Official Website and the Encylopedia....but this thread isn't for Discussing that...so I'll stop, lol;)

TOS--Trouble with Tribbles

TNG--Trials and Tribbulations (sp?)

DS9--Emissary

VOY--Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy (for Picardo' singing if nothing else)

ENT--Broken Bow--not only a great beginning to a series, but also a great beginning to all the series.

That Was a DS9 Episode B)

oops! you're right.

For TNG:

I can't remember the title right now, but its the one with Q, and Picard discovers and solves the paradox, saving mankind.

That Was a DS9 Episode B)

oops! you're right.

For TNG:

I can't remember the title right now, but its the one with Q, and Picard discovers and solves the paradox, saving mankind.

"All Good Things", TNG series finale.

Amok Time - TOS

All good things -TNG

Trials and Tribulations - DS9

Endgame -Voyager

Broken Bow - Enterprise

I've changed my mind on 2 of these..!

Amok Time - TOS

All good things -TNG

In the Pale Moonlight - DS9

Endgame -Voyager

Twilight - Enterprise

I thought about switching to In The Pale Moonlight too but figured that since it's in the middle of the Dominion War I'd save that for a 6th or 7th episode after the initial 5.

TOS: City on the Edge of Forever (for the heart wrenching time paradox, and a tough decision made)

TNG: Darmok ( the struggle to communicate...the commitment and self-sacrifice that true explorers have)

DS9: The Visitor (the human element - relationships, familial love, remain a part of the Star Trek future)

VOY: The episode where Voyager was split into different time periods, and Chakotay (from the present) and Janeway (from the period when the trip first started) had to travel through the different zones to restore the ship. They eventually had to collaborate with crew members from different periods. It demonstrates the range of adventure of Star Trek in a single episode.

ENT: The Horizon (episode where Travis returns to his family) because it shows the old ways which were about to be abandoned ( the Horizon and its difficulty to recruit new crew) versus the Enterprise, Travis' superior technical knowledge and, and the fact that travel is so much faster and further --the future. It points to a reasonable explanation of how humans transitioned to the Star Trek universe from a more local, though extensive, space presence.

I would explain that 3/5 of the episodes are not time altering episodes, but that other aspects of these episodes were the reasons these were selected.

I'm not sure a specific episode is needed to convert someone to Trek. I think the key is EXPOSURE to it. I dated a girl once who was a Trek hater. About a month later I caught her watching it...hooked! :rolleyes:

Anyway, here are my 5

TOS -- The Trouble With Tribbles

TNG -- The Best of Both Worlds (obviously both parts) or Darmok

DS9 -- Either Trials and Tribbleations (to tie in with TOS) or Our Man, Bashir

VOY -- not sure, but The Doctor would be a big part of it.

ENT -- Broken Bow

Since City on the Edge of Forever has been done.

TOS A Piece of the Action (fun)

TNG Masks (mystery)

VOY Message in a Bottle (great lines) or Bride of Chaotica (fun)

DS9 Broken Link ((I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) the interest to find out more about Odo)

ENT Civilisation (interesting)

Alternative list

TOS Return of the Archons (sense of the ST Universe)

TNG Darmok (great episode)

VOY The Chute (feel for the characters)

DS9 Captive Pursuit (sense of ST Universe)

ENT Strange New World (interesting)

By the way there are too many good episodes to choose from! :biggrin:

Edited by starsinmyeyes

I'd watch Spock's Brain about ten times before I'd sit through TNG "Masks" again. Hell, I'd willingly watch "Encounter at Farpoint" (which I now find grating as all hell) as well.

Sorry, I thought that "Masks" was easily the worst episode of the last season, and in the running for worst of TNG.

Since they aren't Trek fans I would probably go heavy on the humor ones that aren't quite so SFish:

TOS: A Piece of the Action

TNG: Best of Both Worlds (since it is so pivotal to the entire Trek lore)

DS9: Actually, I would probably have them watch a Babylon 5 episode and pretend it was DS9. If I couldn't do that then it would probably be The Siege at AR-558 since that is the only one I can stand myself.

VOY: That one where 7 of 9 asks Kim to copulate with her.

ENT: Forget it, I would have them watch Quantum Leap anyway. It has Scott Bakula and temporal incursions so they would never know the difference.

TOS--"I, Mudd" because it's a hilarious episode, shows all the Enterprise crew in action, and includes the outsmarting of a computer, which came across a handful of times in TOS's three seasons.

TNG--"All Good Things..." because it's the best Trek episode EVER, imo, but if two-hour eps aren't allowed, then "Q Who" because it introduces us to the Borg, includes Q, and shows best how some can believe that Picard was the best Trek Captain.

DS9--"In The Pale Moonlight" because it shows Star Trek at its absolute darkest and is still an incredibly brilliant episode; plus, it includes the Dominion War, which occupied a huge chunk of DS9's time- and storyline.

VOY--"Shattered" because it includes temporal incursions, the tensions in assimilating the Maquis crew, the deal with the Borg, Seska's collaborations with the Kazons, the hilarity of Holodeck hijinks, and I believe does still include the idea of the long voyage home--in short, aside from the Hirogen, Seven becoming more human, and Kes, this episode depicts all of VOY in a one-episode nutshell.

ENT--"Vox Sola", even though I rated it a 4 instead of a 5, because not only does it depict the problems involved with meeting new species for the first time, but it also includes all 7 main characters actually having to do something relevant, a criterion which is satisfied in almost no other episode of ENT.

Edited by youbroughtheryouRiker

DS9--"In The Pale Moonlight" because it shows Star Trek at its absolute darkest and is still an incredibly brilliant episode; plus, it includes the Dominion War, which occupied a huge chunk of DS9's time- and storyline.

As I was re-reading this thread last night I was going to post that I'd show ITPML rather than Emissary for the DS9 episode. It really is an awesome episode and generally thought of as the best of DS9 and by many it's thought of as the best of all Trek (me included).

TOS- Where no man has gone before

TNG- The Last Goodbye

Don't know any other episode names I haven't really watched the others sorry.

TOS: The trouble with tribbles

TNG: Decent

DS9: Civil Defense

Voyager: Futures End

Enterprise: Strange New World

TOS: City on the Edge of Forever or The Trouble With Tribbles

TNG: All Good Things..., Chain of Command or Best of Both Worlds

DS9: Trials and Tribulations

VOY: Year of Hell or Blink of an Eye

ENT: Broken Bow or Cogenitor - there are other episodes I would choose but they are part of arcs and I can't decide which episode of the arc to go with or I would prefer to show them the entire arc

I think the episodes I would choose would also depend on the likes and dislikes of the person I'm trying to convert. Whether a person prefers comedy over drama or drama with a social message over action, for example, would have an effect on what episodes I picked for them to watch.

As I was re-reading this thread last night I was going to post that I'd show ITPML rather than Emissary for the DS9 episode. It really is an awesome episode and generally thought of as the best of DS9 and by many it's thought of as the best of all Trek (me included).

Well, I'm too hard-core for TNG to agree with that last statement. I'm not sure I'd even call it the best of DS9, but it sure puts up a helluva fight for that title, I'll grant it that.

I feel I should disclose, too, that I almost put City On The Edge Of Forever for my TOS ep, but then I realized that if I did, I'd have no fun/comedy episodes in my list, and Star Trek could be QUITE funny on occasion. I think "I, Mudd" is funnier than "The Trouble With Tribbles." And like I said, it has the classic TOS trait of the need to outsmart a computer. I gotta admit, all around, I'm pretty proud of my picks. I think I've offered a decent diaspora of what Star Trek means.

Also, if I were to add a TAS episode, it'd be "Yesteryear" because it wasn't an hour long story crammed into 30-minutes, was quite well written, and I think it was our first look at Andorians, too!

For a movie, it'd be "First Contact" due to it's great direction, special effects, camerawork, writing, acting, fantastic all around.

Well, I'm too hard-core for TNG to agree with that last statement. I'm not sure I'd even call it the best of DS9, but it sure puts up a helluva fight for that title, I'll grant it that.

I feel I should disclose, too, that I almost put City On The Edge Of Forever for my TOS ep, but then I realized that if I did, I'd have no fun/comedy episodes in my list, and Star Trek could be QUITE funny on occasion. I think "I, Mudd" is funnier than "The Trouble With Tribbles." And like I said, it has the classic TOS trait of the need to outsmart a computer. I gotta admit, all around, I'm pretty proud of my picks. I think I've offered a decent diaspora of what Star Trek means.

Also, if I were to add a TAS episode, it'd be "Yesteryear" because it wasn't an hour long story crammed into 30-minutes, was quite well written, and I think it was our first look at Andorians, too!

For a movie, it'd be "First Contact" due to it's great direction, special effects, camerawork, writing, acting, fantastic all around.

ITPML has actually been voted in numerous polls as the best of all trek, including a poll of all Trek episodes here a couple years ago. TNG has a few really good episodes, but off the top of my head I can't think of a single one that I'd put above ITPML.