Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

If aliens landed tomorrow...

I just had this thought while posting on another thread.

Just what do you think people would do if aliens landed tomorrow? In First Contact Picard suggested it would "bring everyone together"

If they weren't taken prisoner by the military of the country they landed in (a definite possibility) then

All the world leaders would start objecting and bickering about equal access - particularly if they only landed in one country - more like Stargate than Star Trek.

Leno and Letterman would be in heaven

There would be religious zealots preaching it was the end of the world.

There would be businessmen trying to figure out what opportunity for profit could be found.

The rich and famous would invite the aliens to all the hottest parties.

Some people wouldn't believe it - it was a political ploy - besides who'd really seen one and of course - no ordinary human would because only the military, the government or the rich and famous would have those opportunities.

If they were exiles then there would be serious debate about letting them immigrate because no one would trust them and no one wants to pay more taxes to support them.

If they weren't exiles then some people would head to the Montana woods with a years supply of food and three years supply of weapons to fend off the impending alien attack.

A great number of people would stand around the tv for a couple of days and then sigh and get on with the mundane routine of whatever life they had.

Well that's a very pesimistic view of human nature. I think that aliens landing could have a unifying effect on the world. Of course there would be initial scepticism by some people but I think most would come around to seeing that there's more to the universe than what they thought. It could make the problems between nations seem small and trivial.

Also if aliens did land, and they were indeed friendly, then I doubt they would accept dealing with a single nation. If they were to have contact with Earth then I presume it would have to be with the whole Earth in order to avoid causing problems in the new world they're visiting. They wouldn't accept being the "possession" of one nation.

(Excuse me if what I typed is a little incoherent, I'm still recovering from an illness)

i think that if aliens landed on earth tommorrow, then i would immediatley drive down to wherever they landed, and just hang out with them. If they were hostile, everyone would immediatley look to us, the "nerds" to protect them because we know how to kill aliens!

Well that's a very pesimistic view of human nature.

How is it different than people act today?

I guess I'm missing something because I honestly can't understand why people think the presence of aliens would somehow change people.

And why assume the "aliens" would be any different than the first Europeans on the American continent? (Yep, I'd be in one of Montana groups :congrats: )

I would be highly suspicious.

It's entirely possible they would be hostile and would be more interested in the resources of this planet rather than making peace with us, who presumably they could exterminate very easily.

Well I think that it's realistic to assume that any race of beings intelligent enough and capable of interstellar travel would be peaceful. Aliens that advanced would most likely have to have solved problems in their own world before being able to fare through the stars. I think that making first contact with a new world would have to be on behalf of your whole planet so they would probably have to have solved any differences they faced on their own planet and eventually have evolved into a peaceful race.

It it on the other hand also entirely possible that aliens landing on our planet would not be friendly. Landing on Earth as a scout ship for invasion. Perhaps they have problems on their own world and had to leave their own planet in search of a new planet for their people.

I just think, and would hope, that the former is more likely.

Matt, I hope you're feeling better soon.

I'm not sure I'd equate technology with peacefulness - hmmm, here on Earth are the technological nations the most peaceful? Indeed, sad to say war has often inspired technological advancement.

:unsure:Customer: waiter there is a human in me soup! Waiter: let me take that back and get you a fly. Customer: thats better at least I know what kind of people flies are. Nasty old humans anyway :congrats:

War may have been the cause for the development of some of our technological advancements but not all. I do agree that the "technological nations" are not the most peaceful but I would hope that once we are sufficiently advanced we can eliminate starvation, money etc. Once these are taken out of the causes of war we can concentrate on eliminating the human equations - thirst for power, racism and more. I think that once a true peace could be reached on a planet then people can concentrate on simply bettering themselves and the lives of those around them.

Aliens landing could only serve to help an unify Earth. Whether they land in peaceful exploration and bring the world together that way or if they land in a hostile pursuit of conquering our planet and unify the Earth in a combined front agianst them.

(And thanks, just finished my antibiotics and feel better but I'm still devoid of most of my energy).

Aliens landing could only serve to help an unify Earth. Whether they land in peaceful exploration and bring the world together that way or if they land in a hostile pursuit of conquering our planet and unify the Earth in a combined front agianst them.

(And thanks, just finished my antibiotics and feel better but I'm still devoid of most of my energy).

330725[/snapback]

but what would happen after the hostile aliens are defeated? I think it would only be a matter of time before all of the petty differences we have now would come back into play. I know is sounds pessimistic, but, that's human nature.

BTW, glad to hear you are feeling better :congrats:

Edited by Spike The Trill

Matt, that was my point - there's no real evidence that people have ever changed. There have always been "good" people and "bad" people if you use those terms. Another way to look at it is those that put "self" first versus those that think of the good of the whole. In almost any situation you're more likely to find more of the former than the latter.

Think about it - even on a small scale - it's easier to throw everything in the trash rather than recycle - ie the self over the greater good, speeding - same thing we endanger the lives of others for our own convenience; I've watched people walk their dog across the street so it could poop on the neighbors lawn :congrats: . Go a little larger - we'd rather send our (someone else's) sons and daughters to war for oil access rather than conserve gas; we would rather leave our grandchildren a polluted and dying planet rather than modify our lifestyles. The list could go on and on. And it is the little things that determine who we are - most of us dont' face "the real big events" in our lives but we all have little choices and most people will choose the me over the us. I have never read anything that suggested that basic human nature has ever been anything else - there have been some experiments in social orders- like communism - we see how well that works. Can people change - on an individual level yes but the change should come from the inside out - external events will not change human nature.

I think aliens landing would generally raise the anxiety level of everyone on Earth.

If the aliens were hostile, it would naturally have a unifying effect on the people on Earth as we would all be fighting for our lives.

If the aliens were friendly, it would have a divisive effect on Earth as each nation would be jockeying for position to curry favor with the aliens. Everyone would be screwing each other over trying to get access to the aliens.

Hopefully, if the visitors were peaceful, then they should contact the U.S. Department Of Defence or NATO Command first, after recognising the United States as being the world's foremost power. The discussions between the visitors and the U.S. Government should concern the intentions of the visitors.

The U.S. Government should then alert and inform the British Government and then the governments of China, France, Canada, Spain, Italy, Israel, Germany, Australia, India, Japan, and Russia. Then all national governments in the world would be informed. All of this would be carried out in absolute secrecy.

Then, the next step would be civil prepartions to make certain that all national governments for every nation of Earth see to it that their transport links, communication systems and so forth would be prepared when the public announcement is made. Police, Emergency Services, and Armed Forces would be deployed in case of panic.

The public announcement would then be made.

The worst scenario (besides an attack) would be for the visitors to simply land a spaceship in the middle of a major city completely unannouced.

The most dangerous thing that can happen is panic. A breakdown of social structure.

Edited by The King

But do you think humans will always be that way?

330731[/snapback]

I like to think that someday, humanity will evolve into something like the humans in Trek, but, unfortunatly, I don't see that happening for a very long time.

i think that if aliens landed on earth tommorrow, then i would immediatley drive down to wherever they landed, and just hang out with them. If they were hostile, everyone would immediatley look to us, the "nerds" to protect them because we know how to kill aliens!

330702[/snapback]

:congrats::newyear: :lol:

I think they've already made contact.  The government just doesn't believe we can handle it. :congrats:

330884[/snapback]

They are probably right..........

I think they've already made contact.  The government just doesn't believe we can handle it. :congrats:

330884[/snapback]

I think the same thing. I think it all happened on July 2, 1947.

Doubt it.

Roswell, Area 51, Groom Lake and all that other stuff is probably associated with testing of experimental aircraft and the "UFO" thing is most likely a cover story designed to divert attention.

It's easier for the authorities to let the paranoid nerds speculate about aliens and their ships rather than asking questions about classifed military technology and activities.

If aliens had the technology to cross vast distances of the galaxy avoiding asteroids, comets and black holes, I find it hard to believe they would have technical trouble over some hick town in New Mexico.

I think there were. Just look at all the advances we've made in tech since the 40's

Yeah, but just look at the technological advances humanity made in the 60 years before Roswell. That was pretty impressive too, relatively speaking. Was that the influence of aliens too?

Edited by The King

Obviously, you dont know the story of Roswell...

The Aliens CRASHED! AND DIED!

I know the urban myth of Roswell.

Nothing has ever been confirmed and I don't believe it ever will.

I do believe in life other than that on Earth, but I don't think they crashed in New Mexico in 1947. If they did, then you would have NEVER have known about it.

If aliens have made contact with humanity, then it's been at the highest levels of government and authority. Again, you would never know if its happened or not.

Edited by The King

BWAHAHAHHA! KINGS FIRST MISTAKE!!!! AND I NOTICED IT!!!!!!

What mistake?

Look at my post. "Urban" is spelled correctly.

You altered my quote to make it look bad.

You treacherous person. :congrats: