Sign in to follow this  

I liked her character. However, like many of you, I thought that she needed more time to develop. He character developed as much in one season as the other characters (minus Worf) did in 7. It was too late to add a new character, especially in an already busy season.

Maybe if she popped in once in a while, it would've been better. After all, people would be wondering what happened to the Dax symbiont. If she popped in to say, "Hi, Benjamin, nice to meet you again!" and then disappeared, that would be fine. Of course, the Ezri character could continue to show up once in a while. For instance, the episode that she went home to try to find O'Brien would be almost unchanged. Stuff like that.

Wishfire, do you mean if Ezri had "popped in" before she got the Dax host?

277817[/snapback]

You mean the Dax symbiont? No, I was talking about after Jadzia died.

What I was trying to saw is that they should've used Ezri as a recurring character, but not a regular.

Edited by wishfire

Have to disagree there, I thought that Ezri was a great character. I think the reason most peole dislike her is because they saw her as a replacment for Jadzia whom everybody loved.

Have to disagree there, I thought that Ezri was a great character. I think the reason most peole dislike her is because they saw her as a replacment for Jadzia whom everybody loved.

277872[/snapback]

I disagree with your disagreement. Her replacement of Jadzia was only part of the reason I didn't like her. I felt that because she only had one season, her character was hurried into some sort of finished product. While the other character had 7 seasons, she only had one. And yet she was at the same place as everyone else.

I thought Ezri was a decent character, and it has nothing to do with Jadzia (also a good character). We are forgetting that she was a NEW character brought in for many reasons 1) We love Sisko calling a young woman, "Old Man." 2) Jadzia was a Trill. It would've made a lot less sense for her "essence", if you will, to just up and disappear. 3) The writers wanted to show us the humor in what happens when an unprepared Trill becomes joined. 4) We need our spiritual characters (ahem, Worf, ahem, Kira) to be exposed to "instant reincarnation"...so to speak. It tends to open their minds a bit.

And lastly, Jadzia had to die. Hear tell, Terry Ferrell made a couple of enemies in the Trek 'verse and like with Denise Crosby, the penalty is to go out via death. Personally, it doesn't matter to me if I'm getting paid the least on a Trek show. Or getting the least screen time. These younger, greedier generations of actors need to be put in their places. The honor, reverence, and immortality that come with being part of the Star Trek family should be rewarding enough.

you'd do any star trek character if you had the chance van roy lol. but she had her moments where she wasnt whining or actually taking action for once.

I'd do her.

I kinda dig Van Roy's philosophy. If you're willing to do them, it tends to make them a more deal-withable character. Like Shinzon. Or Bashir. Or for the women-lovers, T'Pol.

I have mixed emotions about Ezri.

First of all, she's a great character which should have been a favorite if she had been in the crew from the start or joined after one season or so.

But I thought it was unnecessary to replace Jadzia. Why throw in one character for one season?

I also find the whole Trill thing a bit weird. Ezri shouldn't have had that relation to Jadzia.

I honestly liked Ezri better than Jadzia. Ezri came across as genuine and imperfect. Jadzia on the other hand was almost too perfect and at times pretentious. I may upset Jadzia fans when i say this, but when my boy Dukat greased her, I thought it was a good move for the series and for the Dominion to move one step closer to victory. :look:

For me, Ezri was annoying. All she seemed to do is just ramble about how different she felt now that she had the symbiont and being unaccustomed to it.

I liked Ezri in the later episodes of Season 7..She had gotten past her whinning stage about not being ready to be joined with a symbiont..That stage was rather annoying but I felt it was necessary for her character to progress..

But I thought it was unnecessary to replace Jadzia. Why throw in one character for one season?

Put like that makes more sense.

It would have been nice if, say, her symbiont passed to Trill officer assigned elsewhere or who wasn't in Starfleet, period.

Or, to REALLY shake things up, they could've just cast a really hot guy Dax's successor.

It would have been nice if, say, her symbiont passed to Trill officer assigned elsewhere or who wasn't in Starfleet, period.

Or, to REALLY shake things up, they could've just cast a really hot guy Dax's successor.

Ooh, I agree!

Ooh, I agree!

Now that would've really f*@%ed with Worf's head.

As a character she was unremarkable.

The real problem with her is that she has no place in the series. Bad idea to introduce a new main character as late as the seventh seasons. Many bad choices were made in the last season. Don't why so much talent seemed to be missing towards the end.

we only saw one season of her and they crammed all they could about her into a few episodes

And that was the problem. They would only have needed her for one or two epsiodes to wrap up the fate of the Dax symbiont. After that she would only be in the way.

They didn't need a new character at that late stage in the show.

Correct!

They should have used the screentime for the other characters who were far more interesting.

Correct!

As a character she was unremarkable.

The real problem with her is that she has no place in the series. Bad idea to introduce a new main character as late as the seventh seasons. Many bad choices were made in the last season. Don't why so much talent seemed to be missing towards the end.

we only saw one season of her and they crammed all they could about her into a few episodes

And that was the problem. They would only have needed her for one or two epsiodes to wrap up the fate of the Dax symbiont. After that she would only be in the way.

They didn't need a new character at that late stage in the show.

Correct!

They should have used the screentime for the other characters who were far more interesting.

Correct!

I disagree that her character had no place in the series. It geve Worf more character development and stories and gave Bashir more development and story developpment for his character too.

Did they "have" to add her in? No, but her presence on the station didn't destroy the season or series. Like her or dislike her it's all a matter of opinion but DS9 was a great series either way.

I didn't mind her, really. I'm a little disappointed that Terry Farrell felt she had to ditch the show when everyone pretty much knew there was only one season left. I mean, if they could have kept her alive and in a coma, only to re-awaken at the end or something... well that would have been cheap too, but to cut and run like that... disappointing. Avery Brooks admitted he didn't want to stick it out either, but he did for the sake of his son, to show him character.

Now onto Ezri... first off the actress's last name... DeBoer. You can't go wrong with a good Dutch surname! :elephant: The only way that could have been more awesome is if she were from Western Michigan. I'd be in love, then.

As for acting, there were a couple episodes where DeBoer really shone through... the episode where she had to call forth Joran to solve the murders... Jadzia couldn't have done that episode because it required getting into the mind of a killer, which is what a counselor would do as part of their profession. Only disappointments were 1) that they figured out who the killer was right away just because of a freak meeting, and Joran recognized "that look" and 2) that the killer had to be a Vulcan who was disturbed by displays of happy emotion. But Ezri was flawlessly executed in that episode.

I do think it gave other characters a chance to grow, too. Worf, sure, definitely... Sisko didn't quite have the confidant is Ezri that he did in Jadzia, so he actually had to start confiding in his second-in-command, whom he should have been communicating with all along (but that was part Kira's fault, too, what with him being a religious icon). And how about Julian? I admit, in the first season or two, I hated Bashir. I was like, "They couldn't find an ACTOR to play him?" It wasn't until "Our Man Bashir" that I started to gain a respect for Siddig, and by the 7th season, was actually rooting for him to get himself a girl. And the childish game they played... something so sweet and charmingly innocent about it that made it all the funnier when everyone else was looking onward and shaking their heads that it took them that long to get together.

Yeah, it sucks that they had to take on a replacement for the seventh season because of Farrell, and maybe they could have let the symbiont die too... DS9 was dark enough to pull something like that. But after watching the final season with her in it, I'm now more upset that there wasn't any profile or anything on her on the 7th discs, Special Features! I mean, there were only 9 Hidden Files when all the other seasons had had TEN! They did one for Rom, Martok, Nog, even Vic, but they couldn't do one for Ezri... someone who got an opening credit??!! Inexcusable!

Edited by youbroughtheryouRiker

But after watching the final season with her in it, I'm now more upset that there wasn't any profile or anything on her on the 7th discs, Special Features! I mean, there were only 9 Hidden Files when all the other seasons had had TEN! They did one for Rom, Martok, Nog, even Vic, but they couldn't do one for Ezri... someone who got an opening credit??!! Inexcusable!

I pretty much agree with everything you said, so I'll just quote the part I'm going to address.

They actually did do a hidden file for Ezri but it, like the one for Morn were on a special bonus disc that you could only get with season 7 sets bought at Best Buy or Wal Mart or something like that. They do exist, I've seen them on eBay for auction at times.

What, they were on an 8th disc or something? I saw one for Morn... actually I think I saw a couple for Morn while renting them from Blockbuster and Netflix.

No, I don't think it was an 8th disc though it could have been. I'm not positive on that, but I know that either the Best Buy ir Wal Mart sets had a special disc that had Ezri on it and some other stuff. It was meant to entice people to buy season 7 from them.

I've checked YouTube but it doesn't look like the Ezri file is on there, I'll also check eBay on and off to see it it shows up there. I don't know how many of the seasons had those special Store specific discs but I know season 7 had it. I was pissed too because I wanted to see her hidden file when I got season 7.