Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Ensign Ro

This character first appeared in an episode that was entitled, funnily enough, Ensign Ro. I watched it again for the first time in years last night and was reminded of the strength and high interest level of this character. She intoduced the plight of the Bajorans and the ruthlessness of the Cardassians, setting up Deep Space Nine. The character was billed to be the second officer of DS9, a role that Michelle Forbes (Ro) turned down. Major Kira was to be her replacement. Ro went on to star as a sort of replacement for helmsman Wesley Crusher, though had the same status as Chief O'Brien, Guinan and Reg Barclay (guest stars). Ensign Ro had the typical 'they tortured my dad' type Bajoran upbringing. It always seems to me that the Bajorans on TNG always had pokers put in their eyes and legs cut off and stuff by the Cardassians. They never seem to have gotten by ok in a tent somewhere.

Anyway, we see the Bajorans. Ro comes on board, fresh out ofd prison to help the Federation find a rogue Bajoran terrorist who has been blamed for attacking a Federation out post. The reason behind this is believed to be due to the Federation being passive in the matter of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor. Picard is assured that the terrorists will get asylum in Federation space but it turns out that an Admiral Kennelly has actually bargained with the Cardassians to flush the terrorists out and hand them over. Ro knows this and then tells Picard who manages to fool the Cardassians into blowing up an empty Bajoan ship and exposing the Admiral for his foolish behaviour. Of course the Bajorans didnt do it! They aren't slimey enough! :laugh:)

Ro went on to become friendly with Guinan and earn the respect of Picard. There is a parallel with the character of Tom Paris in this respect. She grew into a respected crew member only to bow out as a traitor to the Federation, with the Maquis - setting up another series!

I liked Ro. She added a new dynamic to the show. I would have liked to have seen her turn up as one of Chakotay's crew in Voyager. Maybe instead of Bellanna Torres.

One extra point of interest in the Ro episode was the whole "he's the finest imn the fleet" syndrome that Trek suffers from. In this case it's the Enterprise's barber (!) the Bolian Mr Mot. ''The finest barber in Star Fleet''. Groan :o)

I liked Ro a lot.

She was adding something in TNG that no other character had before.

And she was a great introduction for the Bajorans in the Trek world.

There is a parallel with the character of Tom Paris in this respect.

I agree. Ro earn the respect of her fellow officers. And she discovered something she really believe in. But, contrairy to Paris, this wasn't Star Fleet and her ship crew.

I loved Ensign Ro, and TNG episodes that surrounded her. It's too bad that TNG couldn't have run with the Bajoran story, but I loved that it when DS9 took off with it.

Ro was my favorite long-term guest star (if you don't count O'Brien), and did an excellent job portraying the same sort of feelings, past, etc that Nana Visitor did in DS9. I would have liked to see more of character.

I also really liked Ro and thought her sarcastic nature played off really well with characters like Picard and Riker. It would have been really nice if she was on DS9 or Voyager.... or even as a guest star on DS9. Imagine a couple episodes with Ro matching wits with Kira or Sisko. It would have been very entertaining in my opinion.

I like Ro except for the last show she was in they did not have to do the show they way they did it was only an ad for ds9 but if you read the books after ds9 Ro takes over odo's job after he leaves. neat a

This character first appeared in an episode that was entitled, funnily enough, Ensign Ro. I watched it again for the first time in years last night and was reminded of the strength and high interest level of this character. She intoduced the plight of the Bajorans and the ruthlessness of the Cardassians, setting up Deep Space Nine. The character was billed to be the second officer of DS9, a role that Michelle Forbes (Ro) turned down. Major Kira was to be her replacement. Ro went on to star as a sort of replacement for helmsman Wesley Crusher, though had the same status as Chief  O'Brien, Guinan and Reg Barclay (guest stars). Ensign Ro had the typical 'they tortured my dad' type Bajoran upbringing. It always seems to me that the Bajorans on TNG always had pokers put in their eyes and legs cut off and stuff by the Cardassians. They never seem to have gotten by ok in a tent somewhere.

Anyway, we see the Bajorans. Ro comes on board, fresh out ofd prison to help the Federation find a rogue Bajoran terrorist who has been blamed for attacking a Federation out post. The reason behind this is believed to be due to the Federation being passive in the matter of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor. Picard is assured that the terrorists will get asylum in Federation space but it turns out that an Admiral Kennelly has actually bargained with the Cardassians to flush the terrorists out and hand them over. Ro knows this and then tells Picard who manages to fool the Cardassians into blowing up an empty Bajoan ship and exposing the Admiral for his foolish behaviour. Of course the Bajorans didnt do it! They aren't slimey enough! :rolleyes:)

Ro went on to become friendly with Guinan and earn the respect of Picard. There is a parallel with the character of Tom Paris in this respect. She grew into a respected crew member only to bow out as a traitor to the Federation, with the Maquis - setting up another series!

I liked Ro. She added a new dynamic to the show. I would have liked to have seen her turn up as one of Chakotay's crew in Voyager. Maybe instead of Bellanna Torres.

One extra point of interest in the Ro episode was the whole "he's the finest imn the fleet" syndrome that Trek suffers from. In this case it's the Enterprise's barber (!) the Bolian Mr Mot. ''The finest barber in Star Fleet''. Groan :ph34r:)

wow, there's really not much more to say after that :huh: She's always been one of my favourite characters, and my favourite female character on TNG. i certainly like her better than Kira, though, although I don't watch much DS9, so maybe I might change my mind on that one...

I loved when Ro was brought aboard The Enterprise as it provided yet another great character to play with..butthen of course she turned into a plot device...oh look there's Ro, wonder what special misson shes gonna be on now?

I didn't care for Ro really. I liked "The Next Phase" but other then that I think they could have done better. "Conundrum" was good too when she and Riker got together.

I liked Ro primarily for the change she brought to TNG. She wasn't as upright and noble as the rest of the crew but once we grew to know her she turned out to be a really good, honorable person. I would have liked her to guest star in DS9 or Voy, incidently she expressed an interest to guest star in an episode of DS9 at the end of TNG. It's a shame it never got done.

However, I still think that Major Kira was far more suited to the role of First Officer tham Ensign Ro, not least because Kira wasn't StarFleet.

I liked Ro primarily for the change she brought to TNG. She wasn't as upright and noble as the rest of the crew but once we grew to know her she turned out to be a really good, honorable person. I would have liked her to guest star in DS9 or Voy, incidently she expressed an interest to guest star in an episode of DS9 at the end of TNG. It's a shame it never got done.

However, I still think that Major Kira was far more suited to the role of First Officer tham Ensign Ro, not least because Kira wasn't StarFleet.

I have read that DS9 originally wanted Ro to come over to that series but Michelle Forbes had moved on or was about to move on so they made Kira. I forget where I read that and I don't know how accurate it is.

Ensign Ro was a pretty good character. Something about her used to bug me but now I think she brought a little edge to the bridge. Too bad she's probably dead since the Cardassians & Dominion wiped out the Maquis.

Yep thats right. That was one of the main reasons why she was on TNG in the first place. Didn't M Forbes want to pursue a film career instead of doing another TV series?

Anyways, Michael Piller, one of the executive producers of DS9, said that in hindsight it was far better to have Kira than Ro as Ro would eventualy always have to obey Sisko as they wore the same uniform.

She's always been one of  my favourite characters, and my favourite female character on TNG. i certainly like her better than Kira, though, although I don't watch much DS9, so maybe I might change my mind on that one...

You need to watch DS9 ... early Kira is a bit hard to take, but boy she evolves into one of my favorite ST characters of all time. Nana Visitor was just wonderful in that part once she got her bearings ... tough as nails but a very sympathetic character as well.

I would love to have seen Ro show up on DS9 .... maybe in an episode where she's helping Sisko track down Eddington. You know, working as a double agent or something.

Ro Laren is still one of my favorite characters. She had been tortured as a child along with other Bajorians but she didn't let it run her life like Kira Neyrs did at times. Later on, both characters came along nicely.

yea....but i liked her last performance on TNG. i mean the way she looked at riker.....almost like she really did love him after that "encounter" where they lost thier memories. but when she finnally joined the Mauqis, it just seemed like she knew what she was doing.

Yeah. She Was A Cool Character. Never Did Seem To Fit In With Starfleet Though. And Know It's Not Canon, But She's In Two TNG Books About The Dominion War. Pretty Cool

Yeah, Ro was a really great character, her character had depth to it and that contributed a lot to the episodes she was in.