Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Hope and Fear

What rating would you give "Hope and Fear"?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Hope and Fear"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 194

Season: 4 Episode: 24

DVD Disc: 7

Air Date: 05.20.1998

Stardate: 51978.2

Review Pending...

Cast:

Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway

Robert Beltran as Chakotay

Roxann Dawson as B'Elanna Torres

Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris

Ethan Phillips as Neelix

Robert Picardo as The Doctor

Tim Russ as Tuvok

Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine

Garrett Wang as Harry Kim

Guest Cast:

Ray Wise as Arturis

Jack Shearer as Admiral Hayes

Creative Staff:

Director: Winrich Kolbe

Teleplay By: Brannon Braga & Joe Menosky

Story By: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga & Joe Menosky

Related Items:

Dauntless, U.S.S.

I liked this episode when I saw it on TV and I liked it as I just watched it on the computer. :unsure: The villain was a little whiny, but his motive was good and his trick was pretty good. I must say, that ship was amazing.

Possible flaw (includes spoilers)

Click For Spoiler
When Seven of Nine is in the engine room trying to stop the quantum slipstream engine using the modification she and Torres installed, the controls are Starfleet. The (AFAIK) unnamed "tourist" (as Janeway called him) had flipped a switch which had converted the ship back from Starfleet to its own look. Unless this switch was exclusive to the Bridge, but one would think that his plan was to get the whole crew aboard, and then reveal the trap to everyone at once, not walk from room to room flipping switches.

I voted 5, and it deserves all five. It's not my favorite (Endgame is close, but I'll decide when I'm done) but it's a good one. Out of 10 I give it a 9.

What an awesome looking ship the Dauntless it! This is a great episode with a great story. An alien translates Voyager's message from the Alpha Quadrant. Or so they think. The Dauntless turns out to be the alien's (Arturis) ship for REVENGE! It turns out that his people were a fan of Species 8472, them wanting to destroy the Borg and all, and since Voyager got rid of Species 8472 then all of Arturis's people got assimilated. Bad bommin'. And now that my new comp has the DVD-ROM back, I can take pictures!

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Dauntless.jpg

3. This episode was way pretty predictable but not completely. Too much foreshadowing. It worked out though, and they at least decoded the message, and this season wasn't ended with a cliffhanger. Gotta respect that at least.

I gave it a 4. Good ep about a guy seeking vengeance on Voyager for what he blames as the cause for his planet being assimilated by the Borg. Great story that showed us how Voyagers presence in the Delta Quadrant and allying itself to the Borg did indeed have unpleasant repercussions for some.

I love ships in Trek and the Dauntless looked fantastic - like a concept car! Even the interiors were cool, for just being some muslin stretched over wooden frames and cheaply backlit.

One thing - when Janeway says "Paris is so laided down with supplies he won't even make half impulse"

Does it matter how heavy the craft is in space? Wouldn't he just use manoevering thrusters in the planet's atmosphere? I mean how does Voyager get to warp 9 at that rate of going? It weighs the same as a cruise ship whilst the Delta Flier is about the size and weight of a speed boat??

Another great episode! The revenge plot made the villain not so evil, which is what Trek is famous for (sympathy for the villain). The dialogue between Seven and Janeway was also really interesting. 5 stars

Sign in to follow this