Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Living Witness

What rating would you give "Living Witness"?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Living Witness"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 191

Season: 4 Episode: 21

DVD Disc: 6

Air Date: 04.29.1998

Stardate: Unknown

Review Pending...

Cast:

Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway

Robert Beltran as Chakotay

Roxann Dawson as B'Elanna Torres

Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris

Ethan Phillips as Neelix

Robert Picardo as The Doctor

Tim Russ as Tuvok

Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine

Garrett Wang as Harry Kim

Guest Cast:

Henry Woronicz as Quarren

Rod Arrants as Daleth

Craig Richard Nelson as Vaskan Arbiter

Marie Chambers as Kyrian Arbiter

Brian Fitzpatrick as Tedran

Morgan H. Margolis as Vaskan Visitor

Creative Staff:

Director: Tim Russ

Teleplay By: Bryan Fuller

Story By: Brannon Braga

Related Items:

None

Confusing episode... So the Doctor was found along with remnants of Voyager 700 years in the future, but that all turned out to be a history movie about history movies...... So does that mean the Doctor won't make it back to earth??? Always in motion the future is, but I'm still confused. Nega-Voyager was awesome though. Ravenous Janeway is always angry when she's beautiful.

I thought it was a great story "history is written by the victor" - and I think it was a good examination of probably most longstanding ethnic, cultural or racial tensions - or really any longstanding fued for that matter. Each side has its perspective and that gets embellished and passed on over the years. This was really one of my favortie VOY epps.

A good episode that would be great if it didn't mess up the continuity. I give it a 4

In what way did it mess up the continuity?

Unless the Doctor's program was copied somehow it means he is on the planet *and* made it back to Earth.

A good episode that would be great if it didn't mess up the continuity. I give it a 4

In what way did it mess up the continuity?

Unless the Doctor's program was copied somehow it means he is on the planet *and* made it back to Earth.

In the episode it's said that the EMH back-up module was stolen, so it's not so much that he was "copied" though the back up module would be a 'copy'. So he is on the planet but also made it back to Earth at the end of the series. It's not until 700 years later that the back up module is activated.

The only possible issue I see with the episode is that earlier in this season (season 4) in the episode "Message in a bottle" when the Doctor is transmitted across the alien array to the Beta Quadrant Voyager is left without the EMH meaning that there was no back up module as of that episode (or maybe it wasn't working). In that episode, Kim and Paris are attempting to create a back up EMH so Paris doesn't have to be the full time medic but it fails.

The presence of the back up module in "Living Witness" must mean that Kim and/or Paris was/were successful in making a back up though. I don't see that as a continuity issue though because they were shown attempting to make a back up and it stands to reason that they'd somehow figure out how to actually back up the program at some point.

As for the back up Doctor that is re-activated, we don't know if he ever made it back to Earth or not.

Rewatched this a couple of weeks ago - still one of my favorite eps.

But I did wonder about the back up of the doctor - in fact I think I have a thread somewhere about a back up program for the doctor. Most of the time they did seem to indicate he wasn't "backed up" but what starship doesn't back up it's sophisticated software.

But I did wonder about the back up of the doctor - in fact I think I have a thread somewhere about a back up program for the doctor. Most of the time they did seem to indicate he wasn't "backed up" but what starship doesn't back up it's sophisticated software.

Actually, the EMH (as originally designed) is simply an extention of the ship's computer. All the medical knowledge he has the computer also has, and vice~verse. The hologram itself is simply an input / output device.

As for being "backed up"... well, he is a doctor. I'm sure he could carry out the necessary subroutine for that.

Sign in to follow this