Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Distant Origin

What rating would you give "Distant Origin"?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Distant Origin"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 165

Season: 3 Episode: 23

DVD Disc: 6

Air Date: 04.30.1997

Stardate: Unknown

Review Pending...

Cast:

Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway

Robert Beltran as Chakotay

Roxann Dawson as B'Elanna Torres

Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris

Ethan Phillips as Neelix

Robert Picardo as The Doctor

Tim Russ as Tuvok

Garrett Wang as Harry Kim

Jennifer Lien as Kes

Guest Cast:

Henry Woronicz as Gegen

Christopher Liam Moore as Veer

Marshall Teague as Hulak

Concetta Tomei as Minister Odala

Creative Staff:

Director: David Livingston

Teleplay By: Brannon Braga and Joe Menosky

Related Items:

Voth city ship

Another episode of the conflict of the beliefs in religious aspects of other races. This one reflects somewhat on our society, I believe. I'm not comfortable with religious talk because everything I have to say about it is negative so I'll just get to the part of the episode I did like; the dinosaurs. I've always loved dinosaurs. How the Hadrosaurs evolved and left Earth before humans hasn't been answered and still leaves me in confusion. But I still love dinosaurs and this was a good episode.

I honestly don't like the constant anti-religion tirades that Star Trek often gets into, but this really was a great episode. The only thing I didn't like was how Chakotay was so acquiescent to accept Voth jurisdiction over him and the Voyager crew. He didn't even try to challenge it, even asking why he'd never actually been charged with anything. So, despite its disturbing nature of it, it was a good episode. 5.

Could you imagine if they dug up a dinosaur in some desert and it's claw was reaching for a fosilised microwave! With a pop-tart in the other hand. Oh, the shame.

Jurassic Park 4: The Mall

"Here we have late Jurassic era dinasaurs and their popular hideout - The Mall".

it's a good episode. OK, the theory that space-flying dinosaurs once inhabited Earth may be a bit over the top but I liked the whole plot with a scientist trying to prove his theory and people in charge who are afraid of the truth prevented him from doing that. The old lady in charge was really scary.

Good episode!

I gave it a four; it was a good ep. Now, I kinda agree with the fact that Star Trek does have a bad habit of bashing spirituality; at least, spirituality is rarely painted in a favorable light. The Bajorans were portrayed as an annoying idiot race who couldn't stand the hard evidence that their "gods" were just an alien race. And Seven of Nine's "spiritual experience" involves observing a freakin' omega molecule.

At the same time, it's almost understandable why the writers would sorta kinda look down on faith in the 24th century. There are always scientific explanations for everything. Most of our ravaging diseases have been cured. There are no racial problems, no gender problems, and if you're going prematurely bald, nobody cares. In a world of replicators, holodecks, and no need for money, there's hardly anything left to pray for. And if there's nothing left to pray for, why would you need someone/something to pray to?

that's an interesting point i haven't thought about, cool insight SeeingEyeBorg :whistling:

I went ahead and gave the episode a 5 star rating, just because the idea of evolved dinosaurs is pretty cool. I do have to agree that the idea of smart dinosaurs leaving Earth before the end of the dinosaurs is very far-fetched, but it didn't bother me too much. This is kind of like Trek's version of Planet of the Apes

One intriguing thing about this episode: Other than the Q and some of the more "supernatural" races presented within Star Trek canon, the Voth race is arguably the most technologically advanced race ever presented in Trek lore. :b-day:

One intriguing thing about this episode: Other than the Q and some of the more "supernatural" races presented within Star Trek canon, the Voth race is arguably the most technologically advanced race ever presented in Trek lore. :laugh:

That's because it is one of the more ancient races the Federation has encountered, and they had that technology for much longer.

Sign in to follow this