Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Heroes and Demons

What rating would you give "Heroes and Demons"?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Heroes and Demons"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 112

Season: 1 Episode: 11

DVD Disc: 3

Air Date: 04.24.1995

Stardate: 48693.2

When Voyager comes across a protostar, Janeway has samples of its photonic energy beamed aboard for study and possible use in power converters. After a small glitch, B'Elanna Torres corrects a breach in the transporter's containment field and safely finishes the samples' beam-in. But in calling Kim to assist her studies, she learns that ship sensors cannot detect him in the Holodeck or anywhere else aboard.

Tuvok and Chakotay enter the Holodeck to find no sign of Kim but discover his program still running: a version of the English epic poem "Beowulf." Confronted by characters from "Beowulf," they join in to fight the creature in the story and also disappear.

Rather than lose any more organic crewmembers, Janeway sends the holographic Doctor to unravel the mystery as his first away mission. Though he puts up a brave front, Kes gets him to admit he's unsure of himself and then offers encouragement, helping him select a name from an admired role model: Schweitzer. Once inside he begins to get the rhythm of the role but is uncomfortable with romantic advances from a female character, Freya, until she dies in his arms after taking a sword blow meant for him. Although both are holograms, he is clearly moved by her last word: his newly chosen name.

Inspired to try again, the Doctor realizes that an alien lifeform was snared in the energy samples taken earlier and, escaping through the field breach, retaliated by taking form in the Holodeck as the Beowulf monster and converting any Voyager crewmembers into energy. When the "sample" beings are returned to the alien, Kim, Tuvok and Chakotay all reappear — leading to a commendation from Janeway for the Doctor. He decides not to take the Schweitzer name because Freya died saying it.

Cast:

Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway

Robert Beltran as Chakotay

Roxann Dawson as B'Elanna Torres

Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris

Ethan Phillips as Neelix

Robert Picardo as The Doctor

Tim Russ as Tuvok

Garrett Wang as Harry Kim

Jennifer Lien as Kes

Guest Cast:

Marjorie Monaghan as Freya

Christopher Neame as Unferth

Michael Keenan as Hrothgar

Creative Staff:

Director: Les Landau

Written By: Naren Shankar

Related Items:

Parinisti Measles

Rakella Prime

Komar

photonic aliens

Vok'sha

I read the first part of Beowulf in 12th grade, but we never went on to the rest of the demons. It was pretty good and so was this episode about The Doctor, or should I saw Schweitzer :). He's always been a great character in the other episodes I've watched. This episode really brings his character into shape.

The Doctor isn't really my favorite character on Voyager, but Picardo does such a wonderful job of acting in this one, especially when first taking in the new surroundings. Nice fight bits, and his line about the oath he swore. Fun overall, good on-ship but off-ship type of story. 5.

Sign in to follow this