Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

A Fistful of Datas

What rating would you give A Fistful of Datas?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give A Fistful of Datas?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 6

Episode #: 8

Production #: 234

Episode Name: A Fistful of Datas

Original Air Date: 11.09.92

Review not yet available.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Guest Cast:

John Pyper-Ferguson as Eli Hollander

Joy Garrett as Annie

Jorge Cervera as Bandito

Majel Barrett as Computer Voice

Brian Bonsall as Alexander

Director: Patrick Stewart

Teleplay By: Robert Hewitt Wolfe and Brannon Braga

Story By: Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Related Items:

progressive memory purge

Subroutine C-47

Biko, U.S.S.

A good fun episode, which reminded me a little of Back To The Future III which was also in a Old West setting.

Brent Spiner, Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn were all superb in this episode.

But the little Klingon kid annoyed me.

Overall, a very good episode, though they could have done without the bit where Data appears as a barmaid.

Yuk.

Although just for a laugh, if I wrote that holodeck program, I would have only allowed the program to end once Worf consumated his relationship with Data The Barmaid.

:blush: :( :blush:

Rating = 4

Edited by The King

I'll give it a 4. Really, almost a complete non-sequitur of an episode. I loved the part where Riker started dramatically reading Data's poetry.

The timing in the shootout scene was a little off, but good directing. Yeah, Sirtis does a great job as Troi pretending to be Durango, the mysterious stranger.

Terrifically entertaining humorous episode featuring Data, Worf, Alexander and Troi. A 5 for me. Some trivia from Memory Alpha:

Memorable Quotes

"I'm beginning to see the appeal of this program."

- Worf to Alexander, after violently knocking down two villains in the saloon on the holodeck, obviously enjoying the fight.

"What are his rights in this century? Is there a trial... or shall I execute him?"

- Worf, to Alexander asking what he is supposed to do with Eli Hollander now that he has been arrested

"Counsellor, I would appreciate some support in this matter!"

"Durango! I'm called Durango!"

"Yes, err... Counsellor Durango, [...]"

- Worf and Deanna Troi, playing the Mysterious Stranger on the holodeck

"You sure got a way with women, sheriff."

- Eli Hollander, to Sheriff Worf, after Worf got slapped by Annie.

"Vamoose, you little varmint!"

- Data, to Spot, who is disrupting Data's ability to work

"You're not just another electronic system."

"Thank you, Geordi. Nor are you just another biological organism."

- Geordi and Data

Background Information

Picard's Ressikan flute, first seen in "The Inner Light", reappears here and once more later in this season ("Lessons").

Although the holodeck portion of the episode takes place in Deadwood, South Dakota, there is a map of the Arizona Territory (now the states of Arizona and New Mexico) in Worf's office.

Production

The production staff had very little time to create this episode, and Patrick Stewart actually asked that all the sets be set up at night, so they could catch every portion of daylight for shooting.

The title is taken from the Clint Eastwood film A Fistful of Dollars, the first in a series of what came to be called "spaghetti westerns" because the director, Sergio Leone, was Italian. The original title was "The Good, the Bad and the Klingon", a paraphrase of the title of the third "spaghetti western", The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

There is an interview with Patrick Stewart about the making of this episode in the "Bold New Directions" bonus feature located on the TNG Season 6 DVD. In the interview Stewart mentions that for this episode he watched the movie Shane for inspiration regarding westerns.

A scene from Shane was taken by Patrick Stewart and copied as the one where Alexander looks out of the bottom of the Saloon Doors.

When she performed as Durango a.k.a. the Mysterious Stranger, Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) initially tried to blow rings of the smoke, but Michael Dorn (Worf) cut her off and said: "Stop it! Don't be funnier than me, this is my show."

Patrick Stewart, out of his excitement to direct this episode, got a sunburn after forgetting to put on sunblock while shooting the outdoor scenes.

Cast

In the "Special Crew Profile of Lt. Commander Data" on the same set of discs Brent Spiner mentions that, although he enjoyed playing all the villains in this episode, Data was "homely" as the female bartender he played.

The prostitute who greets Worf and Alexander when they first enter Deadwood was in fact played by Marina Sirtis, which probably contributed to Worf's displeasure with Barclay, as he had a bad habit of placing simulations of real people (particularly Deanna Troi) in his holodeck programs. ("Hollow Pursuits")

Awards

This episode won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Sound Mixing for a Drama Series.

Sign in to follow this