Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Sins of the Father

What rating would you give Sins of the Father?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give Sins of the Father?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 3

Episode #: 17

Production #: 165

Episode Name: Sins of the Father

Original Air Date: 03.19.90

This episode was a sequel to season 2's A Matter of Honor in which Riker participated in an officer exchange with a Klingon ship. This time it is Klingon officer, Kurn, who has come aboard the Enterprise. After inciting Worf to see if he truly is Klingon, Kurn reveals that he is Worf's younger brother. He was a baby when he had been left on Qo'noS while Worf and his parents were on Khitomer. Kurn tells Worf of the High Council's plan to name their father, Mogh, as the person who betrayed the Outpost to the Romulans. He urges Worf to challenge the accusations being made by Duras and the High Council and defend the family honour.

This episode marked the first appearance of Tony Todd as Kurn. He reprised the role in three more episodes - Redemption, Parts I and II and Deep Space Nine's The Sons of Mogh. He also played the adult Jake Sisko in the Deep Space Nine episode The Visitor as well as an Alpha Hirogen in Voyager's The Prey.

This was the first of two appearances by Charles Cooper as K'mpec, the other episode being Reunion. He also portrayed General Korrd in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Patrick Massett reprised the role of Duras in the episode Reunion. This episode marked the introduction of the House of Duras.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Tony Todd as Kurn

Charles Cooper as K'mpec

Thelma Lee as Kahlest

Patrick Massett as Duras

Director: Les Landau

Teleplay By: Ronald D. Moore and W. Reed Moran

Story By: Drew Deighan

Related Items:

Khitomer

Klingon Homeworld

Romulans

replicator

Kut'luch

caviar

turkey

Terrific episode.

Ronald Moore was generally responsible for the development of the Klingons, which he continued in DS9. Tony Todd as Kurn is superb in his role and this episode had the dark complicated tone which I love.

This episode would start an arc that would continue later in the Klingon Civil War.

Excellent, Gold Standard.

Rating = 5

Outstanding 5 star episode. Tony Todd as Kurn, Charles Cooper as K'mpec, Thelma Lee as Kahlest, and Patrick Massett as Duras are all excellent.

Memorable Quotes

"How long has this bird been dead? It appears to have been lying in the sun for quite some time."

"Well it's not dead, it's been replicated and you do understand that we cook most of our foods..."

"Ah yes, I was told to prepare for that. I shall try some of your burned replicated bird meat."

-Kurn and Lt. Cmdr. La Forge

"I should've known. Worf was right. It is a good day to die."

"The time has not yet come. It does not have to come for many turns. I know who you are, Kurn, son of Mogh."

"What?!"

"It was a wise choice to hide your family name. Do not err now by embracing it again, for you only embrace death."

"We shall see."

"Worf has made a choice and he will die for it. But you can still be safe. Let him stand alone."

"He is my brother! I will not betray him!!"

"Then you will die for him!!" - Kurn and Duras

"I never kill anyone at the supper table, Mr. La Forge." - Kurn

"I am Klingon! If you doubt it, a demonstration can be arranged."

"That is a response of a Klingon. The response I would expect from my older brother." -Worf and Kurn

"You are still fat, K'mpec." - Kahlest

"The cha'Dich will be silent!" - Worf, to Captain Picard

"You are the son of a traitor." - Worf, to Duras

Background Information

This episode sets up several future themes, such as the House of Duras and the underpinnings to the Klingon Civil War.

Tony Todd makes his first appearance as Kurn in this episode. He reprises the role in "Redemption", "Redemption II" and the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Sons of Mogh".

Duras (Patrick Massett) and his father, Ja'rod, are descendants of the 22nd century Klingon warrior Duras (Daniel Riordan) who appeared in ENT: "Judgment" and "The Expanse".

The over-the-shoulder cloak with the medals that K'mpec wore as High Council leader was the same cloak General Korrd wore in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. Both roles were played by Charles Cooper.

The captain's dining room is seen for the first time.

The Great Hall in this episode was built off the quite large Tanugan science station set that was built for TNG: "A Matter of Perspective", earlier in the third season.

This is the only episode where Duras' father, Ja'rod, is actually named.

This is the first episode where we learn of Dr. Crusher's middle initial.

Clips from this episode are used in an episode of The Colbert Report. Stephen Colbert "mistakes" Kurn for U.S. presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani, and the scene of Picard rhetorically asking, "what does this say about an empire that holds honor so dear," is used.

Awards

This episode won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Art Direction for a Series.

Edited by trekz

Sign in to follow this