Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

The Defector

What rating would you give The Defector?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give The Defector?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 3

Episode #: 10

Production #: 158

Episode Name: The Defector

Original Air Date: 01.01.90

A Romulan defector is aboard the Enterprise with information he says could stop a war between the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire. It's up to Picard to decide whether the defector is telling the truth. The Enterprise ventures deep into the Neutral Zone to investigate whether a secret base has been constructed by the Romulans.

James Sloyan (Setal/Jarok) also appeared as K'Mtar/Alexander Rozhenko at 50 in Firstborn. His other Trek appearance were on Deep Space Nine as Dr. Mora Pol in the episodes The Alternate and The Begotten and Voyager as Ma'bor Jetrel in the episode Jetrel and as Quinn in the episode Death Wish.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Andreas Katsulas as Tomalak

James Sloyan as Setal/Jarok

S.A. Templeman as John Bates

Stack Pierce as Admiral Haden

Director: Robert Scheerer

Written By: Ronald D. Moore

Related Items:

Felodesine chip

Cheron

Romulans

Alidar Jarok

Commander Tomalak

Sublieutenant Setal

Romulus

Bortas, I.K.S.

Romulan scout ship

Monitor, U.S.S.

Romulan ale

B-Type warbird

Outstanding episode.

James Sloyan was magnificent here. His yearning for home and his knowledge that he would never return to Romulus to see his family was heartbreaking and gave the Romulans depth of character.

The brilliant plot of having the Romulans lay such an elaborate scheme out simply to test his loyalty was superb.

The "exchange of insults" scene was particularly memorable as was the "Mexican Standoff" at the end with the Enterprise, the Romulans and the Klingons.

Superb.

Rating = 4

I'll give it a 4 as well. What I loved about the Klingons' involvement, was how subtly it was done. In one brief instant, where Picard tells Worf to handle them, it's easy to forget about them... and I think it's because they wanted us to, then BAM! They're there. Crucial point. And of course, mad props to Jarok. Tomalak wasn't at his best in this episode, but still well done.

I gave this one a 5. Tomalak was excellent here as he took a more relaxed stance in dealing with the Federation. James Sloyan was great here as well. Those Romulans really are complicated and thats why i love them. :laugh:

Was a good one, but Tomalak scared the heck out of in this episode....he looked possessed or something!

I really felt for Jarok and it was terrible to see what he was having to go through. But he did what he thought was important; protecting his family.

Sign in to follow this