Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Evolution

What rating would you give Evolution?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give Evolution?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 3

Episode #: 1

Production #: 150

Episode Name: Evolution

Original Air Date: 09.25.89

The first episode of the third season marked many changes - the return of Dr. Crusher, the introduction of Guinan, new uniforms for the cast and a new writing staff. Also a departure from the past two seasons was Wes actually screwing up.

Wes is conducting an experiment with nanites when they escape and get into the ship's computer. The nanites begin to gain control over the ship's systems threatening not only the crew but the experiment of a visiting scientist, Dr. Stubbs. When Stubbs tries to destroy the nanites, the nanites declare war. Eventually contact is made with the nanites, through Data, and the ship is restored just in time for Stubb's experiment.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Whoopi Goldberg as Guinan

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Ken Jenkins as Dr. Paul Stubbs

Scott Grimes as Eric

Ron Glass as Loken

Mary McCusker as Nurse

Randal Patrick as Crewman #1

Director: Winrich Kolbe

Teleplay By: Michael Piller

Story By: Michael Piller and Michael Wagner

Related Items:

nanites

binary star, Kavis Alpha

Kavis Alpha IV

linear memory crystal

So let me get this straight.

This uber-genius kid who can virtually run the Starship Enterprise by himself allows a potentially dangerous threat loose on the ship simply by falling asleep???

Give me a frickin break!!!

Yet despite this nonsensical plot element, the visiting scientist (who was very annoying) still refers to this moron as a "wonderchild"???

Good lord.

The only good thing about this episode is the introduction of nano-technology which would become more important later in Star Trek.

Rating = 0

In tribute to Mike Piller, I watched this episode this last week and gained a new found respect for it. While it isn't the best premiere episode, it has moments that make it memorable. I think my favorite moment though, which I ended up getting a bit emotional, was when Stubbs and Wes was in the launch bay comparing the situation they were in with Baseball. I also loved the scene when Stubbs was in the quarters going over a season in his mind. I knew that these both scenes were Mr. Piller's ideas and it was a great touch. It was also great to see a peaceful resolution and a creation of a new culture.

Any episode with Wesley Crusher in it, is going to be good. I love that little dorky kid...he was such a smart moron that screwed everything up, but was cute doing it! Sorry.....Wesley Crusher was like my first TV crush...I gotta remain faithful.

3. I liked the character of Dr. Stubbs, except for how he interacted with Wesley. A welcome return for Dr. Crusher, and very natural that she would be curious about every aspect of her son's life, so the writers really did justice to her character on that one, and Gates did quite well, especially at the end: "Tell me everything you know about her!!" But really, not that stellar of an episode. It was actually quite reminiscent of a TOS episode, but an episode I probably wouldn't have cared too much for then either.

Any episode with Wesley Crusher in it, is going to be good. I love that little dorky kid...he was such a smart moron that screwed everything up, but was cute doing it! Sorry.....Wesley Crusher was like my first TV crush...I gotta remain faithful.

Hey, if Vulcan_lover can fall for a dork like Wesley then I might have a chance with her after all.

Was this that "ugly bags of mostly water" episode?

This was an average episode, not bad but not great either. I tend to not like episodes that feature Wesley as much as other episodes though.

Sign in to follow this