Sign in to follow this  
ddillard

Valiant

What rating would you give "Valiant"?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Valiant"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

A good ep. A bunch of Starfleet elite cadets known as Red Squad are on their own after all their superior officers are killed early in their mission. Rather than do the right thing and return to base, they take out Dominion ships whenever they get the opportunity. Jake and Nog happen to be resued by these cadets and Nog eagerly joins their mission, while Jake has reservations. In the end, Jake is proven right as most of the cadets are killed in action due to an attack that went wrong. Nice story and a sad ending make this a must see.

I waited day after day to see this episode, and I was not in the least bit dissapointed. It was an amazing story. I liked how the Red squad was brought into play here.

I disagree. According to military protocols, which demand that the mission always be put first, they actually did it right in terms of what they were supposed to do. Their orders were to maintain radio silence so they did. Their orders were to take out that ship so they did. In the military you can't question orders or refuse missions even if the missions are difficult.

Where they messed up was in believing they were actually line officers and expanding their mission to take out Cardie ships other than the one assigned. Nog, as the actual senior officer, should have taken command (even as an Ensign) and not have accepted an illegitimate promotion.

I never really liked this episode, it's one of the few of DS9 that I skip when I'm watching. I also agre that Nog, as an Ensign should have taken command as he out ranked everyone on the ship. It's been a while since I've seen the episode, so I don't remember if that possibility was ever discussed by Nog. But by being the ranking officer, he could be held responsible for any wrong doing that happened while he was on the ship.