Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

The Ascent

What rating would you give "The Ascent"?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "The Ascent"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Season: 5

Episode No: 507

Episode Name: The Ascent

Written by Written By: Ira Steven Behr & Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Original Air Date: 11-25-1996

PDVD_019.JPG

Nog and Jake are moving in together and Captain Sisko is unsure this is such a good idea. More a matter of fatherly home sickness rather then concern for his son's wellbeing though. When Nog arrives after his first year at Starfleet Academy he is very disciplined and eager to prove to Captain Sisko that he will do a good job.

Will this clash with Jake, who is on his own for the first time in his life?

Meanwhile Odo has been ordered to take Quark to appear before a Federation Grand Jury on Infernia Prime. The Trip will take 8 days to arrive so Quark and Odo will have plenty of time to get to know each other better. Quark even tries to get Odo to play a quick game of Fisbin.

On the way they run into some "problems" which cause them to crash land on a planet that can barely sustain life. So with little food, no water and near freezing conditions these 2 adversaries must rely on each other to survive.

PDVD_026.JPG

PDVD_078.JPG

PDVD_079.JPGPDVD_081.JPG

PDVD_086.JPGPDVD_095.JPG

While this isn't one of my very favorite DS9 episodes, it does have some good points. The fact that Odo is a solid now allows the writers to explore the character more and do a bit more with him than before when he was basically indestructable. So they take advantage of that when they expose Quark and Odo to a Class L planet where they must reach high ground to get a message out so they can be rescued. Conveniently, the two get into a little scuffle and Odo breaks his leg. Amid the mutual hating between the two characters, which is carried through to the very final scene, and in fact Quark claims that he is taking Odo along after the accident only as emergency rations, the writers are cleverly giving another insight into the complicated relationship between the two characters.

The Jake/Nog story is a little weak and only serves to illustrate that Nog is becoming a dedicated and hard-working Starfleet cadet and Jake is trying to grow up. Neither of which was really necessary.

The other point I liked about this episode was Quark's reference to Fizzbin in the very beginning.

So basically, Quark and Odo don't really hate each other, which we already knew. And Jake and Nog aren't little children anymore, which we also already knew.

I remember watching that one. As a Odo/Quark supporter, I find it to be a very, very intriguing episode. I love how these two argue all the time. ;)

I remember watching that one. As a Odo/Quark supporter, I find it to be a very, very intriguing episode. I love how these two argue all the time. ;)

I loved the Quark line when Odo was hurt and Quark was dragging him to the top of the Mountain and Odo told him to leave him. Quark responded by telling him that he wasn't trying to save him, he was taking him along as "Emergency Rations" and "If you die I'm going to eat you!" lol. A classic line for sure.

Is there an episode you don't say that about?

Well, in an episode review thread, it's generally meant for people to actually review or give a comment about the episode after they've seen it. So my suggestion of watching the episode would be said about any and all episodes that you would comment that you haven't seen. That way you could add to the discussion, be it that you didn't like it or that you did like it.

Why would I call an episode that I liked anything other than good? I've been pretty open about the fact that I believe DS9 is the best of all the series, so why would it come as a surprise to you that I liked most of DS9's episodes?

Let me ask it a different way. Is there any episode of Trek where you would say "Man, that one sucked!"?

That would be a very good topic to start, since this isn't one of those episodes I'll wait for you to start it and give you some examples. Ten Forward would be a good forum for that topic.

I watched this one again a couple weeks ago. I liked the Quark/Odo story but not the Jake/Nog one so much. I like both Jake and Nog as characters but episodes around them generally kinda bore me.