Sign in to follow this  
ddillard

Paradise

What rating would you give "Paradise"?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Paradise"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

*spoilers!*

I have to give this episode five stars.

The first time through, it made me mad. Real mad. I can't say how mad this episode made me, without risking the wrath of the moderators. If you've seen it, you know why.

I just watched it the second time with my lady, and I got another aspect of it. This is a really good episode. Anything that makes you think about it well after it's over is good for that reason alone. Three parts of this episode really stood out to me. First, that Sisko was unwilling to take off his uniform, that he was willing to go in the metal box in the sun rather than change who he was. Second, that even after whatsername was exposed as a fraud and was to be brought up on charges, it was proven that she'd intentionally crash-landed the ship, set up the whole situation, let people die - and admitted that she would have even killed her son for her beliefs, everyone else was willing to stay. They liked the life they now had. I admired them for what they were doing, but not their leader for forcing it upon them. And third, the ending was pure class: the two kids (one boy, one girl) standing alone after everyone cleared the stage. Because you know those kids were born there, it's their home - the adults could leave at any time, but I got the impression those two (and the other kids) were going to stay there, make that planet their home.

It's episodes like this that make/made DS9 stand out, not only among Star Trek and science fiction, but among television in general. I'm afraid what DS9 brought to cable television will never again be seen. :dude: