Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Where No One Has Gone Before

What rating would you give Where No One Has Gone Before?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give Where No One Has Gone Before?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 1

Episode #: 5

Production #: 106

Episode Name: Where No One Has Gone Before

Original Air Date: 10.26.87

A mishap during a propulsion system test hurtles the Enterprise over a billion light years away to the outer limits of the galaxy.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Denise Crosby as Natasha "Tasha" Yar

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Brent Spiner as Data

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Eric Menyuk as Traveler

Stanley Kamel as Kosinski

Director: Robert Bowman

Written By: Diane Duane & Michael Reaves

Related Items:

M33 Galaxy

Tau Alpha C

Triangulum Galaxy

Ajax, U.S.S.

Fearless, U.S.S.

Traveler

Another poor episode.

The Traveler (who I absolutely hate) was tiresome in this episode.

The fact he compares Wesley to Mozart (or implies it) and generally makes reference to the fact that Wesley is the next evolution in human development is hideous.

If you want to know why I don't subscribe to this "Gene Roddenberry Is God" idea, I can basically sum it up in two words.

"Wesley" and "Crusher".

I give this episode a rating of 0

I thought it was a great episode! It introduced the Travelor, who is a great character, and showed the weasly... ok, it showed nothing, but it was still a great episode, that showed some background on CJLP. [When he was talking to his mum]

This episode marked the first appearance of the Traveler, which was okay, but was another “Wes saves the day” episode, which was bad. The fact that only Wes could see that it was the Traveler causing the improvements in the propulsion system and that only Wes could help the Traveler get them back to their starting place was a bit much to take. The Traveler instructing Picard to encourage Wes and how special Wes was made me cringe.

The special effects for the area of space where the Enterprise was propelled were quite good. It was also interesting watching the hallucinations being caused as they were in this unknown area of space.

I didn't like this episode at all.

Usually Wesley Crusher's presence instantly lowers any episodes value for me by half (at least), but this episode was especially bad (for all the reasons HRH The King stated already).

Honestly, someone should have told Gene to chill out with his Wesley obsession.

I agree with much of what Takara said.

Gene's obsession with Wesley was that Wesley was oftentimes a manifestation of how Gene may have thought of himself, or how he may have liked to be. Transitive self-worship. Gag.

The visual effects definitely are the high point of the episode. Whizzing through space at unimaginable speed, thoughts manifesting like a Holodeck--THAT was cool.

I have to say though, worst line came from Troi, and I can't quote it directly, but something to this effect: I sense an overwhelming feeling of well-wishes from everybody.

What, like some miscreant idiot is gonna wish death upon the Traveler?

Korsinski, the pretentious (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) that he was, was well-written, at first. Once he realizes it has nothing to do with him, I don't think he was distraught enough, or in denial enough.

I gave it a 2.

The traveller is introduced here and Wesley is viewed as a better phase of human evolution. Well, I can deal with Wesley, however the only character that comes close to a misconcieved notion in trek is Q who is not here, but the Traveller does a great job of proving why he is my second least favorite character in trek. I give this one a 1. :)

Indeed...for me, this episode still holds up as one of my favorite TNG cool exploration episodes. When they first get thrown into that other galaxy, I loved that it was Data that suggested they take the opportunity to explore.

My favorite scene:

Maman: "You look tense, Jean-Luc. Come and have a cup of tea."

Picard: "Maman!"

Maman: "I'll make it good and strong, the way you like it. We will have a nice long talk."

Picard: "This can't be. You've been..."

Maman: "Dead? But I'm always with you, you know that."

Picard: "Yes, I've felt that. But why now, suddenly."

Maman: "You mean out here? At what you say us the end of the universe? Or do you see this as the beginning of it?"

Picard: "We believe it the outer rim. Maman, do you understand these things? Can you tell me where my ship is? What is this place?"

Riker: "Captain? You were reported headed for..."

(Picard turns to Riker)

Picard: "Just a moment, Number One!"

(Picard turns back, but his mother is gone)

FANTASTIC!!!

I also enjoyed the scene where Picard when through the door and almost stepped off the Enterprise into space!

And the idea of the Traveler, that he could manipulate time and space and how such things were like music for others. I really wished they had taken that farther with Wesley's character. Oh well.

I give it a FIVE! (I know not a lot of Photon torpedoes were fired.)

Sign in to follow this