• 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 1

Episode #: 2

Production #: 103

Episode Name: The Naked Now

Original Air Date: 10.05.87

When the Enterprise investigates strange occurrences and subsequent crew deaths on the U.S.S. Tsiolkovsky a mysterious virus infects the crew causing everyone to lose their inhibitions and judgement. Now Dr. Crusher must find an antidote before a collapsing star can destroy the Enterprise.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Denise Crosby as Natasha "Tasha" Yar

Michael Dorn as Worf

Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Brent Spiner as Data

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Brooke Bundy as Sarah MacDougal

Benjamin W.S. Lum as Jim Shimoda

Michael Rider as Transporter Chief

Director: Paul Lynch

Teleplay By: J. Michael Bingham

Story By: John D. F. Black and J. Michael Bingham

Related Items:

Tsiolkovsky infection

Red supergiant

White dwarf

isolinear optical chip

Tsiolkovsky, U.S.S.

dessert

I didn't like this episode.

The idea of this virus being passed simply by touching someone on the shoulder with a sound effect telling you it's being transmitted made me laugh, and I was only eight years old back then.

Only the Tasha/Data thing was funny. The rest of it was dumb.

Wesley Crusher completely ruined this episode for me, although Dr. Crusher was strangely....erm....interesting to me when she uh...you know? I wonder how Picard controlled himself. He lost all his inhibitions but didn't really react when Dr. Crusher was all over him. He could have just done it and blamed it on the virus.

:look: :lol: :look:

Seriously though, this episode showed precisely why a strong Chief Engineer character was needed right from the start.

I give this episode a rating of 1

Edited by The King

I gave this one a two. It was definately not one of the better Treks in Season one, and definately not when compared to the other 177 episodes. There were definately some funny moments..

The first of the “Wes saves the day” episodes that became too prevalent in the first two seasons of the series, this episode was introduced to early in the series. It would have been much more effective after the personalities of the crew had been more established. However, it does have its comedic moments throughout as we watch the crew lose their inhibitions.

The major negatives with the episode revolve around the aforementioned “Wes saves the day” syndrome. The fact that an “inebriated” Wes was able to “take command” of the ship and erect a force field around Engineering keeping two experienced and uninfected officers at bay was bad however when Wes saves the ship and her crew from the asteroid by turning the tractor beam into a repulser beam in seconds after the Chief Engineer says it would takes weeks to lay out new circuits was too much. No wonder Wes has become such a target to Trek fans. To paraphrase Jessica Rabbit, Wes was not bad. He was just written that way.

That being said, I do enjoy this episode, despite Wes’ antics.

I agve it a 3 because it is the first TNG that I ever saw. missed the first had a football game that night, but I taped every eisode after that, until I dropped off the team to be able to watch it first run.

I didn't like this episode simply for the fact that 2 episodes in and they already had to go to TOS to get their ideas.

Since I only have TNG Season 1 videos in my small collection, I watch this often. This is one of the first episodes I've seen of TNG, and I would say it's OK.

(I choose the first option, but I've changed my mind.)

While this episode has a number of humorous scenes, I agree with those who point to this plot as the first of too many "Wes saves the ship" episodes. I have mixed feelings about the TOS connection. It can be seen as borrowing too soon from a TOS plot, but it could also be seen as a tip of the hat recognition of TOS as the source and predecessor of TNG. I rate it as a 3, recognizing its weaknesses but appreciating the humor (are you fully functional?!) :naughty:

Edited by trekz

I have mixed feelings about the TOS connection. It can be seen as borrowing too soon from a TOS plot, but it could also be seen as a tip of the hat recognition of TOS as the source and predecessor of TNG.

I think that having Dr. McCoy in the pilot episode was a much better tip of the hat.

I thought "The Naked Now" was a good story, even though it is taken from TOS. The humor is really well done and the story is fun. I never do mind the "Wes saves the day" episodes.

**** out of *****

Don't know if I actually hate any episode of Star Trek. The thing about this one, is that it's also Wes causing a great deal of the trouble as well as ending it.

I think this episode is one of the best of the early ones in terms of character development. Here we see Wes in his desire to be accepted by the crew, Picard and Beverly and their relationship in a woulda-coulda been scenario, Yar showing effort to feel like a sexual creature, and even some jealousy and inadequacy around Troi and Beverly--something we almost never otherwise see from her. A little bit of psychological profiling of the characters here.

And you gotta admit, it's fun to watch Data go to work with those chips. Just the fun of watching an android at work, imo.

Not sucked, but blown out... or something like that that Data said. Every time I watch that part with some one the can't stop laughing. I also saw a blooper thing to on that line... what is it about that line?

I gave The Naked Now a 3. Not as good as the 5 star TOS The Naked Time.

The Next Gen crew certainly were a lot more ummm... horny than TOS crew was :P

Sign in to follow this