Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

All Our Yesterdays

What rating would you give "All Our Yesterdays"?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "All Our Yesterdays"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 078

Season: 3 Episode: 23

DVD Disc: 6

Air Date: 03.14.1969

Stardate: 5943.7

Official review not yet available.

Cast:

William Shatner as James T. Kirk

Leonard Nimoy as Spock

DeForest Kelley as Leonard H. McCoy

James Doohan as Montgomery Scott

Guest Cast:

Mariette Hartley as Zarabeth

Ian Wolfe as Mr. Atoz

Creative Staff:

Director: Marvin Chomsky

Written By: Jean Lissette Aroeste

Related Items:

Beta Niobe

Sarpeidon

atavachron

I enjoyed this episode a lot as well. My question is why would Spock "devolve" at all from simply going back in time? They've gone back in time before and this issue never came up. Nimoy probably put it in so he could get some good face time with Mariette Hartley........... :dude:

Wikipedia trivia for All Our Yesterdays (TOS)

The title for this episode is from Shakespeare's Macbeth, Act V, Scene 5, line 22. Other episodes whose titles are from Shakespeare are Dagger of the Mind, The Conscience of the King, and By Any Other Name (from the original series; Thine Own Self from The Next Generation; and The Undiscovered Country, film VI).

Author A.C. Crispin wrote two novel sequels to this episode, titled "Yesterday's Son"(#11), and "Time for Yesterday"(#39) (Simon & Schuster).

Mr. Atoz's name apparently derives from the phrase "A to Z", a reference to his occupation as a librarian. Veteran actor Ian Wolfe who plays Mr. Atoz appeared previously in the second season episode Bread and Circuses.

The atavachron, whose name derives from the Latin for "distant ancestor" and the Greek for "time", bears an uncanny likeness to Gary Seven's Beta-V computer. It is, of course, the same prop.

Likewise, Mr. Atoz's desktop disc viewer is made from Sargon's sphere holder, turned upside-down (from Return to Tomorrow).

Mr. Spock tells Zarabeth that Vulcan is a planet "millions of light years" away. That's quite a long distance, considering that the Milky Way galaxy is only about 100,000 light years across.

When Mr. Spock changes in the distant past, a role reversal is seen, with Spock supplying the passion and Dr. McCoy supplying the logic.

This is the one episode of the original series in which none of the action takes place aboard the Enterprise.

This episode was the inspiration for Allan Holdsworth's 1986 album "Atavachron", which features instrumental tracks named Atavachron and All Our Yesterdays, and cover art showing him dressed in a Star Trek uniform standing before the time portal, with a selected disc showing him in childhood. Also, his 1992 album, Wardenclyffe Tower, includes an instrumental track named Zarabeth.

The sound effect for the Atavachron was probably derived from the audio time code broadcast by the National Bureau of Standards shortwave radio station, WWV, from 1961 through 1971. A description of this "NASA 36-bit Time Code" appears in "1970 guide to NBS Time and Services," section 1.8, available at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) website.

When remastered, they added major effects to the destruction of the planet

I have always enjoyed this episode (including Mr Atoz!). It's one of my favorites and it was fun to see Mariette Hartley at the Las Vegas con this year!

Sign in to follow this