Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Friday's Child

What rating would you give "Friday's Child"?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Friday's Child"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Return of the Klingons, it would seem. And stupid Blockbuster sending me Disc Three before Disc Two. *sigh* Onto the review though... Ok, so they didn't explain how the baby became "theirs"... did McCoy perform some betrothal ritual of which he was unaware? Unlikely. Either way, it was funny when she said the baby was his. Interesting fight scenes. Scotty doing a nice job in command again. I still think this interpretation of the Klingons leaves something to be desired. I give it a four.

The Klingon in this episode was certainly no Kor!.... :blink: He wasn't even good enough to get a name!

However, I DID like his line "We believe as you do. The weak and sick should die." That was very Klingon of him!

As for the baby being McCoy's.......When her husband was killed, she didn't want the baby anymore than the new ruler did. The only way she would cooperate with McCoy during the delivery was for McCoy to agree that the baby would be his as well. Without that promise, she was just prepared to die along with her baby. The agreement gave her the will to live.

A memorable and entertaining episode. Some quotes and trivia from Memory Alpha website: Beware SPOILER ALERT!

Memorable Quotes:

"I'm a doctor, not an escalator!"

- McCoy

"Say to yourself: 'The child is mine, the child is mine, it is mine'."

"Yes... it is yours.'"

- McCoy and Eleen

"How did you arrange to touch her, Bones? Give her a happy pill?"

"No, a right cross."

"Never seen that in a medical book."

"It's in mine from now on."

- Kirk and McCoy

"Perhaps to be a Teer is to see in new ways. I begin to like you, Earth man, and I saw fear in the Klingon's eye."

- Maab

"...Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

"I know the saying. It was invented in Russia."

- Scott and Chekov

"What Maab has said is true, our customs are different. What the Klingon has said is unimportant, and we do not hear his words. (I just called the Klingon a liar.)"

- McCoy

"One of us must get him [the Klingon]"

"Revenge, Captain?"

"Why not..."

- Kirk and Spock

"The child was named 'Leonard James Akaar'!?"

"Has a nice ring to it, don't you think, James?"

"Yes, I think it's a name destined to go down in galactic history, Leonard. What do you think, Spock?"

"I think you're both going to be insufferably pleased with yourselves for at least a month... sir."

- Spock, McCoy, and Kirk

"Fortunately, this bark has suitable tensile cohesion."

"You mean it makes a good bowstring."

"I believe I said that."

- Spock and Kirk

"I am unaware of any state of war between our peoples, Captain... or is it your policy to kill Klingons on sight?"

"He was young... and inexperienced!"

- Kras and Kirk, after Lt. Grant is killed

Background Information and TRIVIA

The set panel to the left of the science station was removed for this episode. Chekov can be seen with his hand draped over the left edge of the station; an edge that shouldn't exist. In the next episode, Who Mourns for Adonais?, wider shots show that the workstation countertop continues unbroken when the set piece is in place.

In the footage seen in the briefing room of Dr. McCoy's previous visit to Capella IV, he is seen wearing his present day Enterprise tunic, rather than a TOS: "Where No Man Has Gone Before" era tunic, which would have been appropriate for that time period.

Leonard James Akaar has appeared as a Starfleet admiral in several of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine novels that take place after the end of the events depicted on screen.

The footage seen on the briefing room screen in the teaser is identical to scenes of warriors hunting down Kirk and company later on in the episode.

A sequence in the blooper reel shows William Shatner entering the tent too quickly when Tige Andrews is looking for his weapon and exclaiming, "Oh, (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)!"

Lots of dialogue looping was done in this episode because of the outdoor setting. Some of the dubbing was crammed together nearly on top of other lines.

For his first four appearances in the series, including this episode, Walter Koenig wore a Beatle-style wig, which he absolutely detested. In one interview, he made joking and uncomplimentary references to that wig. By The Apple he seems to have discarded it.

This was Robert Bralver's first appearance of many in the series, often as a stunt performer or uncredited extra.

This episode marks the debut of Sulu's personal scanner at his helm position. In its first appearance, the device dramatically unfolds and emerges from inside the helm console. In his written adaptations of the episodes, James Blish refers to the device as a "gooseneck viewer."

Grant is the only Enterprise crewman killed in this episode.

This episode may possibly have been aired as a repeat one week before Assignment: Earth first aired, as Stephen Whitfield's The Making of Star Trek lists the episode as airing 3-22.

Stephen Whitfield's "The Making of Star Trek" also features some excellent behind-the-scenes photos from this episode, filmed late May 1967, including Shatner and Nimoy reading the "Mad" magazine 'Star Trek' spoof.

The name of this episode appears to derive from the old children's rhyme, 'Friday's Child' ("Friday's child is loving and giving").

"Capellans" was also the name given to the aliens in Jerry Sohl's 1953 novel The Transcendent Man, though the connection seems unintentional: The aliens in that book were closer in style to the Organians.

Remastered Information

The remastered version of this episode premiered in syndication the weekend of 6 January 2007. Among new shots of the Enterprise herself, several new, more realistic views of Capella IV from space were inserted into the episode. Also notably changed were the phaser effects, Chekov's sensor readout (now far more realistic), and a more recognizably Klingon ship on screen.

Sign in to follow this