Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Doctor Bashir, I Presume

This is one of my favorite episodes, we got the inside story of how Bashir became inhanced. Very interesting, if it was ever mentioned before this episode, I must have missed it (I haven't seen every episode of DS9). Even without that, this episode is great. Zimmerman wanting to replace his medical doctor with one who resembles Bashir. Can't go wrong with a Picardo episode. :laugh:

It was a great episode. Learning that Bashir was a mutant really made me think highly of him ever since :laugh:

They had never mentioned it before that episode, and it did make a lot of things about him make sense. Another episode that goes along with this storyline is Statistical Probabilities from season 6, a really fun and funny episode. A follow-up of that episode is in season 7, Chrysalis. That was another good one.

Bashir was so much less annoying after this episode. I felt so sorry for his parents ... they just wanted the best for their son.

I really started liking Bashir a lot from Season 4 on, but this ep sealed the deal. And, of course, having Picardo on hand was highly entertaining. He was the best thing about Voyager and then there he stood on DS9 ... very cool.

It was a great episode. Learning that Bashir was a mutant really made me think highly of him ever since :dude:

325872[/snapback]

I'm in total agrement. I used to think that Bashir was a spoiled child prodigy who accomplished things too easily as a kid, and didn't appreciate what he had. What a revelation that episode was.

This was definitely a great episode. Finding out that he had been genetically enhanced explained alot of things. It had always appeared to me that he was holding himself back for some reason. I had always attributed it to a lack of confidence but this episode proved that it had been because he did not want to stand out to much for fear of his secret being exposed.

This episode made sense...

the thing i wonder about is did the writers plan this from day one? if not they tied up all the loose ends rather well me thinks

Alexander didn't know of it. When they were doing the episode they just told him.

As a lifelong Trek Fan who has read just about every Trek novel as well, (I saw TOS in it's original airing), I think it's uncanny just how much this episode reminds me of the TOS "Journey to Babel" . Spock's hidden life and the estrangement from his parents, the angst of feeling like a 'freak' who doesn't fit in and who has to hide his real feelings --all this is so like Julian Bashir. I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this and to read their comments about this. I think it would be so awesome if someone were to write a novel, (or even a fan-fic, as long as they tell me where to find it), about a relationship being formed by Ambassador Spock and Dr. Bashir, (Not slash,PLEASE, a serious study!), where perhaps they must combine their talents to solve a problem and end up learning from each other's experiences.

Siddigfan

This is one of my favourite character driven DS9 episodes. It really did a lot for the character, I think Bashir instantly doubled his popularity after this episode, it explained his personality very well. Other than that though it was just a very enjoyable episode - especially with the addition of Picardo.

As a lifelong Trek Fan who has read just about every Trek novel as well, (I saw TOS in it's original airing), I think it's uncanny just how much this episode reminds me of the TOS "Journey to Babel" .  Spock's hidden life and the estrangement from his parents, the angst of feeling like a 'freak' who doesn't fit in and who has to hide his real feelings --all this is so like Julian Bashir.  I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this and to read their comments about this.  I think it would be so awesome if someone were to write a novel, (or even a fan-fic, as long as they tell me where to find it), about a relationship being formed by Ambassador Spock and Dr. Bashir, (Not slash,PLEASE, a serious study!), where perhaps they must combine their talents to solve a problem and end up learning from each other's experiences.

Siddigfan

352988[/snapback]

That's an interesting comparison, I hadn't equated those two episodes myself but I can see where they could be compared.

The FanFic idea is a good one, I myself am no writer but I'd be interested to see someone do that.

It's an interesting idea for a story. I'd be interested to see how two such arrogant, yet charming, men could work together. They'd make an interesting team.