Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

The Man Trap

What rating would you give "The Man Trap "?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "The Man Trap "?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Episode #: 6*

Episode Name: The Man Trap

Written by George Clayton Johnson

Original Air Date: 9-8-1966

Production: 006

Watch this episode now at CBS.COM and then cast your vote.

The Enterprise comes to check on planet M113 and the archeologist there, Professor Robert Carter and his wife, Nancy who used to be an old flame of Dr. McCoy’s. The Professor seems nervous and insists that all they need is salt. But why are they the only ones left alive of the team left here and why is it that every time McCoy sees Nancy Carter, she seems to have not aged a day from when he last saw her and what killed Crewman Darnell? There is something strange going on here and the Enterprise crew needs to find out what before they too fall pray to what killed Darnell.

The many faces of "Nancy Crater".

mt001.jpgmt002.jpg

mt003.jpgmt007.jpg

mt008.jpg

Cast:

William Shatner as James T. Kirk

Leonard Nimoy as Spock

DeForest Kelley as Leonard H. McCoy

Nichelle Nichols as Uhura

George Takei as Hikaru Sulu

Guest Cast:

Jeanne Bal as Nancy Crater

Alfred Ryder as Professor Robert Crater

Grace Lee Whitney as Yeoman Rand

Bruce Watson as Crewman Green

Michael Zaslow as Crewman Darnell

Francine Pyne as Blonde Nancy

Sharon Gimpel as M-113 Creature

Related Items:

M-113

M-113 Creature

This excellent opening episode contains all the elements that will eventually make Star Trek great: an interesting alien/monster, a problem that initially confounds the Enteprise crew, and characters we are going to get to know.

The Craters, who are doing archeological work, are alone on a dry desolate world containing nothing but desert and ruins. They desparately need salt. Or... at least one of them desparately needs salt.

Nancy Crater is not who she seems to be. Instead she is a mind-reading shape shifter who can become someone you know or someone you would like to know. She is the one who desparately needs the salt, and human bodies are full of salt. While a death occurs among the Enterprise initial landing party, it takes a while before the crew is able to determine that this has happened, since right away 'Nancy' becomes the murdered crewman, returns with the landing party to the ship, and disappears among the crew before it has even been recognised that there has been a death.

Once that death is discovered, and the realization that something other than an Enterprise crewman has beamed aboard the ship, it becomes a race to keep up with the shifting intruder before she kills again.

Through her shifting from one persona to another we also learn about the crew, since she reads their minds before changing into a new persona. We learn the Dr. McCoy still has deep feelings for his lost love, Nancy. We learn that Sulu has hobbies--in this episode, it's botany. And at least one of his plants does not react well to salt monsters! We learn that Uhura is lonely ( so it is not surprising that in her free time in other episodes we see her in the crew's lounge singing, or sharing tribbles.) We learn that Spock's blood does not have sodium like human blood.

In the final resolution of this problem, McCoy has to choose between his feelings for his old flame, and the lives of his friends and shipmates.

Rating: 5

Thanks to blockbusteronline, I am now availing myself of the opportunity to acquaint myself with the original series, and will progress from there till I've seen it all, or as much as blockbuster has.

A good episode overall. I enjoyed the dialogue for the most part, though a little bit of it has a cheese factor to it. It's definitely of its time, visually, but that's forgivable. No Scotty or Chekhov in this one, but you can't cram everyone in a single episode and expect magic, too often. Even Uhura's dialogue and role in this one was a little disappointing. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this. Good storyline.

I gave it a 4.

This episode is really good! It was really great to know a bit about the past of Dr. McCoy. Another interesting fact is the intelligence and survival instinct of the creature, as well as it's real appearance.

The creature was just doing what it had to do to survive. It would have been nice if they had found a way to save it and maybe relocate it. It was the last of its kind.

The creature was just doing what it had to do to survive. It would have been nice if they had found a way to save it and maybe relocate it. It was the last of its kind.

I thought about that to. It was an intellegent being yet at the end of the show it almost looked like it forced them to kill it. Maybe only so much you can do in a hour?

Sign in to follow this