Sign in to follow this  
uss_bellerophon

In the Mirror Darkly

After having watched both episodes, I have to say that I found In the Mirror Darkly to be really entertaining but I did have some problems with this episode.

Click For Spoiler
Firstly I thought the actors did really well portraying their evil personas in the alternate universe, in fact I give the production crew thumbs up for a wonderful portrayal of the mirror universe.

Ok the problems now:

First Contact - It did seem kinda wierd and cool to see Cochrane failing to do the Vulcan salute and then suddenly pull out his weapon and shoot the Vulcan. But the thing that bothers me is that how could the humans go out and sucessfully conquer the Vulcans? I find it hard to believe that the humans would have been able to sucessfully pilot an advanced Vulcan ship all the way to Vulcan and use it to conquer an entire planet? Not to mention the fact that at the time of FC the Vulcans are far more technologically advanced than the humans, not to mention smarter too, so how could they have been conquered by a bunch of primitive terrans?

I remember a novel by William Shatner, in which he explains that the Mirror Universe was created because Cochrane informed the Vulcans about the attempted takeover by the Borg and because of that, the Humans and Vulcans formed an empire in preparation for the impending Borg threat. I thought that would have been a better way of explaining how and why the Terran Empire came into being.

The USS Defiant - If the Empire had posession of the Defiant, then it would be reasonable to assume that after years of reverse engineering and study by the 23rd century they would have been able to produce far more advanced starships, but in Mirror Mirror the ISS Enterprise is no more advanced than the Defiant. It would have been far more plausible if the Defiant was destroyed, then it would have made much more sense continuity wise.

Btw wouldnt it have been interesting if Tpol stumbled across Kirks mission report about his crossover into the parallel universe, in the Defiants database? It would have certainly given Tpol and Soval plenty to think about there!

I enjoyed this episode, but I also had the same thoughts about how come the I.S.S enterprise was no more advanced than the Defiant. I guess that's one of the problems of time travel. :blink:

Click For Spoiler
my guess is that the USS Defiant was destroyed eventually by the combined fleet that arrived at Earth. The ISS Avenger was the NX-09, so that means there are 7 more NX Class ships out there. The Constitution class is strong, but I doubt it can take on 7 NX Class ships.

After having watched both episodes, I have to say that I found In the Mirror Darkly to be really entertaining but I did have some problems with this episode.

Click For Spoiler

324525[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler

Ok the problems now:

First Contact - It did seem kinda wierd and cool to see Cochrane failing to do the Vulcan salute and then suddenly pull out his weapon and shoot the Vulcan. But the thing that bothers me is that how could the humans go out and sucessfully conquer the Vulcans? I find it hard to believe that the humans would have been able to sucessfully pilot an advanced Vulcan ship all the way to Vulcan and use it to conquer an entire planet? Not to mention the fact that at the time of FC the Vulcans are far more technologically advanced than the humans, not to mention smarter too, so how could they have been conquered by a bunch of primitive terrans?

324525[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
It is believable if you give them the time to build up a fleet using advanced technology from the Vulcan scout ship. Assuming the Vulcans decided to ignore Earth after their scout ship did not return, then the humans had time to build up to higher warp ships because they had this access to Vulcan tecnology. They would have progressed at least as fast as the humans in Archer's era. I think what was portaryed is a reasonable scenario.

324672[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
What you have said sounds reasonable and while I do not have any problems accepting that when the humans conquered the Vulcans they used their technology to catch up to make rapid progression, I still find it hard to accept that they were able to conquer the Vulcans in the first place. Since it would be 'logical' :blink: for the Vulcans to send a ship to the Sol system to investigate the dissapreance of their scout ship. This wouldnt give the humans time develop more advanced ships. And when those Vulcan ships investigating would arrive, I doubt the humans would have been able to hijack them all and use them against the Vulcan homeworld. The Vulcans themselves arent a reckless and foolhardly bunch to be overrun by a bunch of primitive terrans :waaaa:
Edited by uss_bellerophon

I actually haven't completely watched the second part yet but everything I saw of it I really liked. I'll watch all of part 2 tonight. (I love my TiVo :blink: )

Click For Spoiler

Ok the problems now:

324525[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
It is believable if you give them the time to build up a fleet using advanced technology from the Vulcan scout ship. Assuming the Vulcans decided to ignore Earth after their scout ship did not return, then the humans had time to build up to higher warp ships because they had this access to Vulcan tecnology. They would have progressed at least as fast as the humans in Archer's era. I think what was portaryed is a reasonable scenario.

324672[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler
What you have said sounds reasonable and while I do not have any problems accepting that when the humans conquered the Vulcans they used their technology to catch up to make rapid progression, I still find it hard to accept that they were able to conquer the Vulcans in the first place. Since it would be 'logical' :blink: for the Vulcans to send a ship to the Sol system to investigate the dissapreance of their scout ship. This wouldnt give the humans time develop more advanced ships. And when those Vulcan ships investigating would arrive, I doubt the humans would have been able to hijack them all and use them against the Vulcan homeworld. The Vulcans themselves arent a reckless and foolhardly bunch to be overrun by a bunch of primitive terrans :waaaa:

324790[/snapback]

as i remember.. the whole issue was that the scout ship detected a warp signature passing by the system and so their intended destination was not SOL but it was in fact a detour ie... VHC wasnt aware that the earthlings had warp technology and that as far as they knew, the scout ship merely disappeared somewhere betwen point A and B of which earth, a prewarp civilization, was in its path

I really liked these two eps, and see no point really to picking them apart, I gave credit just for the hard work of re-creating TOS bridge and hallways and quarters..i really loved the tie-in effort. But yes , it you really analyze it you find lots of problems. In Mirror, Mirror (TOS) the vulcans were just as evil as the humans...so when those vulcans made first contact with Cochrane..they would have scanned the humans and detected the mob with firearms and would have probaly stunned them all first. And the humans still wouldn't have stood a chance...( unless we consider that the ISS Picard and Company was there too and helped Cochrane overthrough the vulcans!)

I really liked these two eps, and see no point really to picking them apart, I gave credit just for the hard work of re-creating TOS bridge and hallways and quarters..i really loved the tie-in effort.  But yes , it you really analyze it you find lots of problems. In Mirror, Mirror (TOS) the vulcans were just as evil as the humans...so when those vulcans made first contact with Cochrane..they would have scanned the humans and detected the mob with firearms and would have probaly stunned them all first. And the humans still wouldn't have stood a chance...( unless we consider that the ISS Picard and Company was there too and helped Cochrane overthrough the vulcans!)

326201[/snapback]

I don't think there could have been a Mirror Enterprise-E. The Terran Empire had fallen thanks to Mirror Spock before the events of TNG.

I really liked these two eps, and see no point really to picking them apart, I gave credit just for the hard work of re-creating TOS bridge and hallways and quarters..i really loved the tie-in effort.  But yes , it you really analyze it you find lots of problems. In Mirror, Mirror (TOS) the vulcans were just as evil as the humans...so when those vulcans made first contact with Cochrane..they would have scanned the humans and detected the mob with firearms and would have probaly stunned them all first. And the humans still wouldn't have stood a chance...( unless we consider that the ISS Picard and Company was there too and helped Cochrane overthrough the vulcans!)

326201[/snapback]

I don't think there could have been a Mirror Enterprise-E. The Terran Empire had fallen thanks to Mirror Spock before the events of TNG.

326217[/snapback]

Very True...yes i forgot about that...but there would have to be a Mirror Borg! and maybe they are the Good guys..there would have to be some kind of order to the Mirror universe during the TNG era and First Contact.....so it all just unravals like a can of worms. And Did we actually see Mirror Spock chance things...or were we just left with the impression that he would try to change things? perhaps he failed?

Edited by headborg

Did we actually see Mirror Spock chance things...or were we just left with the impression that he would try to change things? perhaps he failed?

I forget the episode name, but the very first Mirror Universe episode on DS9 had Mirror Kira explaining to our Kira how Spock did just that causing the Empire to become weak and susceptible to conquest.

326201[/snapback]

326217[/snapback]

Very True...yes i forgot about that...but there would have to be a Mirror Borg! and maybe they are the Good guys..there would have to be some kind of order to the Mirror universe during the TNG era and First Contact.....so it all just unravals like a can of worms. And Did we actually see Mirror Spock chance things...or were we just left with the impression that he would try to change things? perhaps he failed?

326224[/snapback]

Mirror Kira told Bashier what happened after "Mirror, Mirror".

as for the Mirror Borg, , It's interestign to think that they might bee the good guys in the MU, but, without the evil version of Starfleet, would the Borg have encountered humans?

Lots of questions come to mind. :dude:

Another question..........could there possibly be a Mirror Q? Or does the Q we know have the ability to travel between the universes?

Another question..........could there possibly be a Mirror Q? Or does the Q we know have the ability to travel between the universes?

326356[/snapback]

Wow...that was just what i was Thinking/Asking myself.....I would guess Q would have to be the same...no mirror Q, and yes...a Q with the ability to banish people/starships to the mirror universe....think of the story possibilites there!

Did we actually see Mirror Spock chance things...or were we just left with the impression that he would try to change things? perhaps he failed?

I forget the episode name, but the very first Mirror Universe episode on DS9 had Mirror Kira explaining to our Kira how Spock did just that causing the Empire to become weak and susceptible to conquest.

326331[/snapback]

You found my biggest weakness.....i didn't like DS9 as much as Voy...stopped watching all-to-gether, hence a big hole in my trek knowledge. Thanks for the Info. :dude: