Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Didn't Make the team? Sue the School!

Should students and their parents be allowed to sue a school if they (or their child) doesn't make the final cut for a sports' team?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should students and their parents be allowed to sue a school if they (or their child) doesn't make the final cut for a sports' team?

• Yes! By all means!
    • No! Put your lawyer away!
    • Undecided
    • Don't care

Okay, I was listening to the radio earlier this week, and appearently, someone is sueing the school because their daughter didn't make the athletic team she tried out for. (I am assuming either Girls' Soccer or Softball, since that's what's in season right now). Appearently, some girls cut from Varsity were allowed to stay on as Junior Varsity, but not this girl. so her parents are sueing the school. Is this right?

In my own opinion, as a parent, and as a High School athletics coach (Football), I think the idea is stupid and shameful. Athletics aren't for everyone. if you are trying out for a sport where there is a limited number of spaces available, SOMEONE is going to get cut. and if you aren't as good as someone else, well, it's you. and yes, you could try out for JV, but if the same thing happens, well, sorry. that's the way things work in HS Athletics, and quite frankly, that's how things work in the real world, with college admissions, job applications, and believe it or not, EVEN DATING!

Well, Jim, it all depends and I need more facts to know the situation of this case.

What I mean - was the reason for the cut - ability or was there some sort of favoritism going on?

When my niece was in high school she was the valedictorian and lettered in several sports but they gave an award intended for the student with outstanding academics and sports ability to the daughter of one of the coaches - although good in sports she only had about a 'C' average. That's how things work in high school. No one "sued" but I believe it was wrong.

So back to your question, yes, if my kid was dropped and other students, who were no better, were kept because they belonged to the "right" group - whether nepotism, church group or income level I might consider legal action.

Btw, you can "sue" for acts like injunctions etc - to say you're suing isn't always about money.

Of course, this girl could be the worst athlete in the world and her parents are rich - so it's hard to know unless you're there.

I've been scouring the net for the article they read on the radio, but I do believe the coaches had a valid reason, either athletic ability or academic ineligability (Which is a very legitimate reason for removing a student from your roster. There is a reason why they are Student Athletes, not Athlete students)

Edited by Jim Phaserman

NO! If they did not make the team, they just practice really hard and make a go for the team the following semester or year. :laugh:

Unless it is truly because of discrimination, then no lawyers should be needed. And it cannot just be because the director/coach picked the team from the "popular" people.

I have been in the situation where I was not picked for a play/musical because it was a popularity contest versus actual talent being picked. I saw many very talented singers/actors get turned away because they wanted their "favorites" in it instead. I was not that talented, IMHO about my singing... so I figured "I am not that strong of a singer, and I am definately not one of the "in crowd". But I tried my damnedest and had fun in the attempt, that was what counts." I did not go running home screaming "LAWSUIT!!!"

I was in gymnastics 20 years, competitively from the age of 6 1/2 to the age of 18. I remained in one level for 5 years, and though I did and still do question why... I never went into the thought of "I wonder if I should sue my coach, because he won't move me into a new level".

This whole Sue the school if your child does not make the team is just absolutely ridiculous. B)

Unless it is truly because of discrimination, then no lawyers should be needed. And it cannot just be because the director/coach picked the team from the "popular" people.

323845[/snapback]

Yillara, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. But I remain steadfast in my opinion. Taxpayers, who support public schools, have a right to expect that taxpayer supported organizations operate under principles of fairness and equality. It is wrong for elite groups to use taxpayer monies to promote personal interests.

It still amazes me how readily everyone expresses an opinon without any facts - and the fact there is no further information on this story is in itself telling. We have no idea what the true facts of this case are.

As I said before, you can bring a lawsuit just to get schools to enforce policies they have already established - like selecting team members based on performance rather than other reasons.

323845[/snapback]

Yillara, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. But I remain steadfast in my opinion. Taxpayers, who support public schools, have a right to expect that taxpayer supported organizations operate under principles of fairness and equality. It is wrong for elite groups to use taxpayer monies to promote personal interests.

Basically what I meant was that if the case was that the athlete was not allowed on the team for reasons of race, creed, etc. Then that would be a definate reason to call on the lawyers.

If it was because it was more a popularity contest versus actual performance skills... then before the lawyers are called out, go through the school system to see if this can be rectified through speaking to the administration.

THis was all I meant when I did my original post...

But above all, athletes should be selected onto teams for their skills and what they can do to add to the successfulness of the team.

I don't blame the parents for feeling this way because alot of high school don't always pick the most qualified. So this is a wake-up call to the high school to change their ways.

That's what I like about Football and Wrestling among other sports on the High School level: You show up, you are on the team. Then again, those sports (and certain others) require large teams. You'd think Wrestling would not require a large team, but there are ALOT of weight Classes, and you need multiple people for each.

Here are the IHSA Wieght Classes to the best of my memory

95 lb

112 lb

125 lb

130 lb

135 lb

140lb

150lb

160 lb

170 lb

195 lb

215 lb

275 lb (Heavywieght)

That's 12 Wiegth Classes. and in wrestling meets with teams, the team with the most accumulated points wins (Teams get points for wins, pins, and if their opponent forfiets, meaning no wrestler in a weight class). if someone gets injured, you need someone to take that spot, and you don't want your 275 lb wrestler practicing with the 95 lb wrestler, since the strategies are different in those two classes. and in Football, you have 48 potential starting possitions to fill, so most teams keep a team of around 50 players. Now, not everyone starts, but you do need backups, since football seasons without a player being injured in some way are rare.