Sign in to follow this  
Madame Butterfly

"Beautiful" Mummy Found

'Beautiful' 2,300-Year-Old Mummy Unveiled in Egypt

By PAUL GARWOOD, AP

20050503063609990011.jpg

SAQQARA, Egypt (May 3) - A superbly maintained 2,300-year-old mummy bearing a golden mask and covered in brightly colored images of gods and goddesses was unveiled Tuesday at Egypt's Saqqara Pyramids complex south of Cairo.

20050503063609990007.jpg

The unidentified mummy, from the 30th pharaonic dynasty, had been closed in a wooden sarcophagus and buried in sand at the bottom of a 20-foot shaft before being discovered recently by an Egyptian-led archaeological team.

''We have revealed what may be the most beautiful mummy ever found in Egypt,'' Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, said as he helped excavators remove the sarcophagus' lid to show off the find.

Hawass said experts will use CT scanning technology within the next week to reveal more details about the ancient Egyptian's identity and how he had lived and died.

Afterward, the mummy will be displayed at Saqqara's museum of Imhotep, the famed architect who designed the Stepped Pyramid - Egypt's oldest.

20050503063509990001.jpg

The mummy, found two months ago, was covered from head to toe in brightly colored cartonage burial material depicting a range of graphic scenes, including the Goddess Maat of balance and truth who was shown with outstretched arms that took the shape of feathered wings.

Also shown were the four children of the falcon-headed god, Horus, and the rituals and processes to mummify the person, who Hawass believed must have been wealthy considering his burial location and fine gold used for the mummy's mask.

''The artists who made this mummy more than 2,000 years ago demonstrated the brilliance of the ancient Egyptians by using stunning colors and depicting his face so graphically,'' Hawass said.

The mummy had been buried within the necropolis of King Teti, a funerary area containing scores of burial chambers, false doors that ancient Egyptians said the souls of the dead would use to leave their tombs, and temples.

The necropolis is built alongside the collapsed pyramid of Teti, who ruled during ancient Egypt's 6th dynasty, more than 4,300 years ago. Hawass said a ''lost'' pyramid had been located in the Saqqara area and would be uncovered after two months.

Saqqara, located about 12 miles south of Cairo, is one of Egypt's most popular tourist sites and hosts a collection of temples, tombs and funerary complexes.

Thats really neat.

those pictures are sharp.

This story was finally in the Chicago Sun Times today, but your photos are truly superior, Madam Butterfly. Thank you for posting them! Do you know how often undisturbed mummies are found? I would assume not very often. Obviously one of this age and quality are rare indeed.

Well I did study archeaology at Uni, though didn't major in it.

So yes I know it's very rare.

I think it's simply gorgeous myself, the photo's most likely don't do it justice.

History Is my passion

Without history we have no future.

Thats too awsome,maybe it not like other mummy they found not long ago..that had cuse people got killed..wow what find whats next!!!