Sign in to follow this  

Gorn and TOS

May I say Noone knew what a romulan looked like before Kirk saw one. So maybe they had heard of the Gorn but never encountered them or there ship

It's possible about the Gorn, but we now know that at least some Vulcans knew what the Romulans looked like.

Naaa, It was just same old HUGE Enterprise problem for 4 seasons, can't meet Gorn, Ferengi, Borg, Romulans... Just break the cannon/mythology of Star Trek... Over and over... and meet them anyway.

Peace,

May I say Noone knew what a romulan looked like before Kirk saw one. So maybe they had heard of the Gorn but never encountered them or there ship

It's possible about the Gorn, but we now know that at least some Vulcans knew what the Romulans looked like.

Naaa, It was just same old HUGE Enterprise problem for 4 seasons, can't meet Gorn, Ferengi, Borg, Romulans... Just break the cannon/mythology of Star Trek... Over and over... and meet them anyway.

Peace,

What's wrong with the Gorn in ENT? It was in the Mirror Universe, after all, so it would have no effect on the regular canon.

What's wrong with the Gorn in ENT? It was in the Mirror Universe, after all, so it would have no effect on the regular canon.

Hey, yeah. Maybe that is why the Gorn move faster in ENT then TOS. The opposite of slow-moving TOS Gorn would have to be fast-moving Gorn.

i didn't really mind the fast moving gorn oppose to the slow moving ones. i was kinda pissed that they didn't show archer vaporizing that gorn with the TOS phaser

They could've made a man into a gorn with makeup and prosthetics - i mean, look at the Voth on Voyager? That sort of thing...

Enterprise didn't break canon over any of those species or, at the very least, they didn't break canon that hadn't already been broken by another series or movie.

Gorn: First contact with the Gorn was made in TOS. That doesn't mean the species was not known about before then. Other than in the mirror universe episode, no Gorn were seen or encountered thus no breach in canon.

Ferengi: The Ferengi were on Earth in 1947. The American military thought they were Martians while Archer didn't know what they were when he encountered them. If you consider "Little Green Men" to be a canon breach then ENT only breached canon that was already broken. If you don't consider the DS9 episode a canon breach then neither was the ENT episode.

Borg: If you consider the episode Regeneration a canon breach then you have to blame ST:FC for breaking canon first. There's nothing to say that the Borg experience wasn't covered up by Starfleet or, more likely, Section 31 in the 22nd century so there was no record of the encounter known to people in the 24th century.

Romulans: Kirk was the first human to see a Romulan. No Romulans were seen by humans on ENT. Romulans were known to humans prior to TOS otherwise there couldn't have been the Earth-Romulan War that occurred around 2160. It makes sense that ENT had Romulans in episodes to start setting up why there was a war that takes place within 5 years of when season 4 was set.

There are canon breaches in all the series including TOS breaching its own canon. Many alleged ENT canon breaches are actually breaches of "false canon" (something that people believe to be canon that actually isn't) rather than actual canon.

Enterprise didn't break canon over any of those species or, at the very least, they didn't break canon that hadn't already been broken by another series or movie.

Gorn: First contact with the Gorn was made in TOS. That doesn't mean the species was not known about before then. Other than in the mirror universe episode, no Gorn were seen or encountered thus no breach in canon.

Ferengi: The Ferengi were on Earth in 1947. The American military thought they were Martians while Archer didn't know what they were when he encountered them. If you consider "Little Green Men" to be a canon breach then ENT only breached canon that was already broken. If you don't consider the DS9 episode a canon breach then neither was the ENT episode.

Borg: If you consider the episode Regeneration a canon breach then you have to blame ST:FC for breaking canon first. There's nothing to say that the Borg experience wasn't covered up by Starfleet or, more likely, Section 31 in the 22nd century so there was no record of the encounter known to people in the 24th century.

Romulans: Kirk was the first human to see a Romulan. No Romulans were seen by humans on ENT. Romulans were known to humans prior to TOS otherwise there couldn't have been the Earth-Romulan War that occurred around 2160. It makes sense that ENT had Romulans in episodes to start setting up why there was a war that takes place within 5 years of when season 4 was set.

There are canon breaches in all the series including TOS breaching its own canon. Many alleged ENT canon breaches are actually breaches of "false canon" (something that people believe to be canon that actually isn't) rather than actual canon.

It's Sci-fi, so you can really bend the rules as much as necessary and justify it. There are a lot of people that want put Shatner as Kirk back in Star Trek XI along with Nimoy as Spock, but Kirk was killed in Star Trek Generations they say, so bring him back anyway. I'm a pain, I say he died in Generations = No Kirk. Note: I love Kirk and I think Shat is the Cat. :hand:

And you can look all around the web for polls on who is the best Captain? Two results seem to be a constant Picard comes in first & Archer comes in last place every time. Archer scores so poorly because Enterprise was the weakest Trek franchise (now, this is just my opinion mind you) because of these constant canon barriers Enterprise had to work around of going backward instead of forward = the show always had big problems and really never prospered like the other series did.

Peace,

Edited by DaboGirl

I prefer the man in the suit. Some Arena / Gorn trivia from Memory Alpha:

Props and Costumes

Wah Chang designed and built the Gorn suit; its clothing was designed by William Ware Theiss. Although Bobby Clark wore the suit for most of the filming, William Blackburn wore it for close-ups.

William Shatner wears flat-soled, laced boots rather than the regular leather versions worn by the cast. Possibly the change was made for safety reasons given the many scenes in which Shatner scrambles over rocky ground.

Shatner also wears previously unseen white undergarments during the location segments on the asteroid. The long-sleeved shirt can be viewed just under the cuff of Kirk's tunic when he's using the recorder-translator. The "long johns" can be seen above the boots when Kirk is crouched on a rock. Given that this segment was filmed in November, the undergarments could be thermal, or perhaps padding for the fight scenes.

Effects:

Phasers prove ineffective against the Gorn ship, so Kirk gives the order to arm the photon torpedoes, marking the first naming of that weapon in the series. Sulu says they get off a full discharging of photon torpedo "banks" in this episode, which constitutes only two shots, and they are red globular discharges that fire from the glowing dome under the saucer.

Cast

Both William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy currently suffer from tinnitus due to a special effects explosion on the set of this episode. DeForest Kelley reportedly suffered from tinnitus as well during the remainder of his life.

Bobby Clark, one of the performers who played the part of the Gorn Captain, visited a Star Trek soundstage 38 years later for the filming of Captain Archer's fight with the Gorn Slar in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II". That episode was the first appearance of the Gorn in live-action Trek since "Arena."

so wait does this mean they sometimes get lockjaw the rest of thier lives? if so thats beyond sucks and i have a whole new respect for them

Love the Gorn. Loved the Classic ep...okay, all you folks, out there, thinking, ugh-withe the rubber suit!? I'll give you your due on that. Still liked the thing, anyway. Not bad-hey, this wasn't Mike Westmore, with his post-Classic big budget. Was interested to see STE's revamp of the sauraian-type aliens. Still kinda stuck on the version I grew up with. But, glad too see the new and improved Gorn can move fast..heck, I think Jimmy T. should have just been able to outrun the original! Picture him, going, (Gasp, gasp) 'I will be merciful, and quick"...pun not nescessarily intended. Would bee cool, to have a Gorn as an officer-exchange candidate with Starfleet...

For anyone so interested, you can see an image of the Gorn Cruiser that till now did not exist, if you go to Wikipedia, type in '' Arena'' and click the TOS refernce, then scroll down the article; you should find a link within that will take you to a CGI of said vessel. Enjoy.Oh, and be careful..you know how uppity a Gorn gets when he's riled! :P