Sign in to follow this  

Gorn and TOS

In the Orion Slave episode I think they mention the Gorn. But in TOS is seems that it is the first time they ran into them.

They could have known about the Gorn, but were surprised at how aggressive they attacked and in a place they didn't think the Gorn belonged in Arena.

There was no indication at all that Kirk had any idea what a Gorn was in "Arena". They didn't recognize the ship and Kirk seemed quite surprised at the Gorn's appearance.

Kirk doesn't know everything. The Federation and/or Starfleet may have known about the Gorn or, then again, the Orion in Bound may have assumed Archer knew about the Gorn.

Seeing the Gorn was in the Defiant, guess the Defiant Crew ran into them obviously.

Unless the Gorn infiltrated the Defiant as the Tholians have.

This must be a bit after Kirk met them since the 'Tholian Web' is a latter episode.

..Once the Defiant traveled 'thru' the interspatial rip into Mirror universe, this 'alternative' Archer meets his 1st and last Gorn.

....guess it makes sense.

altho I rooted for the Tholians, and the Gorn seeing how dispicable the Mirror Universe humans are.

I don't think they should have used a CGI Gorn in Part II. A real person would have made a more believeable one.

I would have liked to see a prostetic Gorn, just to see if it was any better. I don't know. I think the Gorn in 'IAMD pt. 2' was pretty decent on its own.

I don't think they should have used a CGI Gorn in Part II.  A real person would have made a more believeable one.

322379[/snapback]

Spoken like a true Godzilla fan....lol

I don't think they should have used a CGI Gorn in Part II.  A real person would have made a more believeable one.

322379[/snapback]

Agreed. I missed the old "man in a suit" Gorn.

I like the idea of the Gorn as undersized Godzillas. I still prefer the man in suit Gorn.

I prefer the man in the suit. Some Arena / Gorn trivia from Memory Alpha:

Props and Costumes

Wah Chang designed and built the Gorn suit; its clothing was designed by William Ware Theiss. Although Bobby Clark wore the suit for most of the filming, William Blackburn wore it for close-ups.

William Shatner wears flat-soled, laced boots rather than the regular leather versions worn by the cast. Possibly the change was made for safety reasons given the many scenes in which Shatner scrambles over rocky ground.

Shatner also wears previously unseen white undergarments during the location segments on the asteroid. The long-sleeved shirt can be viewed just under the cuff of Kirk's tunic when he's using the recorder-translator. The "long johns" can be seen above the boots when Kirk is crouched on a rock. Given that this segment was filmed in November, the undergarments could be thermal, or perhaps padding for the fight scenes.

Effects:

Phasers prove ineffective against the Gorn ship, so Kirk gives the order to arm the photon torpedoes, marking the first naming of that weapon in the series. Sulu says they get off a full discharging of photon torpedo "banks" in this episode, which constitutes only two shots, and they are red globular discharges that fire from the glowing dome under the saucer.

Cast

Both William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy currently suffer from tinnitus due to a special effects explosion on the set of this episode. DeForest Kelley reportedly suffered from tinnitus as well during the remainder of his life.

Bobby Clark, one of the performers who played the part of the Gorn Captain, visited a Star Trek soundstage 38 years later for the filming of Captain Archer's fight with the Gorn Slar in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II". That episode was the first appearance of the Gorn in live-action Trek since "Arena."

Why is my last reply missing?

<_<

I remember thinking the same thing when I first saw that post. I chalked it up to some server anomaly, which we get a allot of.

Well, I guess I'll have to fire up the old time machine so I can figure out what it was I originally posted...

I think I made the mistake of seeing "In A Mirror, Darkly" first before "Arena". The reason I say that is because I tend to like the CGI Gorn more. When I watched "Arena" for the first time a couple of years ago after I watched the ENT episode, it almost seemed comical to watch Kirk fight the Gorn. He was literally waiting for the Gorn to hit him.

However! I watched it again, and I liked it a lot more and it didn't seem so bad. I guess I got over the first viewing. Like I said, I probably would have thought differently if I had seen the TOS episode first

Edited by Gamera

In the Orion Slave episode I think they mention the Gorn. But in TOS is seems that it is the first time they ran into them.

Its just another mistake, one of many in Enterprise. It simply shows that the writers knew nothing of the other ST series and that they did not want to follow any type of canon protocol! <_<

thats because after voyager, they kinda wanted to throw everything down the toilet

Yeah, trying to get it to overflow all over the place! <_<

Gorns Rock! I always enjoyed watching TAS Time Trap just to see a Gorn with all the other TOS aliens again.

Gorn and I click to see TOS Gorn

Edited by DaboGirl

There is one thing Trek never explained about the Gorn.

When we saw them in Enterprise they were very animated and fast-moving. Yet when we saw them in TOS about 100 years later they were slow and lethargic.

What could have happened in 100 years to slow them down that much?

May I say Noone knew what a romulan looked like before Kirk saw one. So maybe they had heard of the Gorn but never encountered them or there ship

There is one thing Trek never explained about the Gorn.

When we saw them in Enterprise they were very animated and fast-moving. Yet when we saw them in TOS about 100 years later they were slow and lethargic.

What could have happened in 100 years to slow them down that much?

They took up smoking :cheers:

May I say Noone knew what a romulan looked like before Kirk saw one. So maybe they had heard of the Gorn but never encountered them or there ship

It's possible about the Gorn, but we now know that at least some Vulcans knew what the Romulans looked like.