Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Out of all the following which is your favorite?

Out of all the following which is your favorite?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Out of all the following which is your favorite?

• Physics
    • Math
    • Chemistry
    • Biology

Physics is by far the best in my opinion because it helps me learn about the universe and the world around me. It is my way of exploring the galaxy without leaving my chair. The best trekkies are always physics fans! ...in my humble opinion of course. Since I don't share an enthusiasm for math, I tend to read about theoretical physics while ignoring anything with complicated math. I just want to know the basics. I think my love for physics started with the back to the future movies when I was a kid. Since then, I have always loved time travel, even though I feel that pratical application of time travel to the past is impossible I also love biology because it helps me understand living organisms rather than the inanimate.

Mathematics is the language of science--"the queen of science" according to Eric Temple Bell.

Math comes before physics, chemistry, or biology, and is necessary to all. The kind of repetitive drills that used to be done in grade school math developed the intuition needed to later be able to do the abstract. Problems of algebra, drills in algebra, developed skill with working with the abstract, with abstract reasoning and manipulation of abstract mathematical expressions.

(Introduction of the calculator to grades school and up have largely eliminated this development. I teach many college students for whom, how shall I say it... the light bulb is out. They have few basic math skills, but excellent finger to key pad coordination. Forgive the cynicism. I worry that America is on the decline, mathematically speaking.)

Lower level college mathematics, such as calculus, introductory linear algebra,and introductory differential equations develop reasoning further, and further use the interconnectedness of mathematics concepts, and how one concept is built on another,and one has to be mastered before moving on to another. And it is true that in many of these courses applications to physics, chemistry, and engineering seem contrived.

But all of this only gives a hint to what mathematics becomes when one studies it at advanced level. If all that math is was encompassed in the above courses, I could understand with folks not being much impressed. But moving on to "upper level mathematics," graduate and research level mathematics, the unalloyed beauty of mathematics becomes all too apparent, and compelling to those engaged in its study. It's about relationship, truth and beauty.

Some have tried to communicate this perspective. There are nice books for the general public that talks about the beauty of mathematics. One is "The Beauty of Mathematics; Three Public Dialogues " by Serge Lange. Another is "The Art of Mathematics," by Jerry P. King. Another talks about famous mathematics equation in math and phyisics. I cannot remember the title or author.

My folks always stressed the importance of math,so I concentrated more effort into doing well in that subject than many others.It helped that I seemed to have a knack for the subject,and enjoyed it...

:clap:

I did well in physics.And I had the greatest teacher in Archie Goshgarian (now deceased).He made learning fun,and always took the time to make sure his students understood the lessons he was teaching.He always had time for you,and never made you feel stupid for asking questions.