Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Out of all the following which is your favorite?

Out of all the following which is your favorite?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Out of all the following which is your favorite?

• Physics
    • Math
    • Chemistry
    • Biology

For me it is physics.

Physics is the most fundamental science in understanding the universe around you.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I'd also have to vote physics - although it was very close, I like math and biology a lot.

I voted for math :grin:

In math there is a right and a wrong answer, and theoreticly, I think (I may be wrong here) mathmatics can be used to prove things in most sciences, especially in space B)

I voted math. A hard choice between that and physics, though. I like physics a lot, but in the end physics relies on mathematics.

"The language of physics is mathematics." I don't know who said that, but I seem to remember it from somewhere.

Does anyone think physics should be spelled with a 'z?' Phyzics? I think that looks so much better.

Physics(which I voted for)...was my major until last year.....but missed Chemistry and Biology too much that is why i changed Int. Studies that way I can get the best of all three!

Many people here are talking about how much physics is integrated into mathematics. This is 100% true. Math looks at patterns in #s and then applying those #s and those patterns to physics is pretty neat.

I remember a instructor I had in physics said: (please excuse the language)

“This is the real stuff! The real use of math! Not the fake crap they teach you in math class.”

Math can look at the patterns of numbers, but the fun part is once you apply that math to the real world – physics

Master Q

I remember a instructor I had  in physics said: (please excuse the language)

“This is the real stuff! The real use of math! Not the fake crap they teach you in math class.”

Math can look at the patterns of numbers, but the fun part is once you apply that math to the real world – physics

Master Q

OMG! Sounds like my College physics professor(that class is also called General Physics, which is basically physics without using calculus)...he said something like that!!! True, he would also joke about how boring it must be in the next building complex doing boring stuff like Literature, Humanities, and History....he was always one to get us to laugh(even though, for the record I love the three disciplines he was kidding about)!

I could not agree with you more, master_q!!!! To be truly honest, I dislike mathematics classes for that reason...you apply the concepts only to the selected problems in the book, in physics(and to some degrees chemistry, and lesser degree than both..biology) you truly apply math. not to a list of problems that go

2+2=

2+9=

1+790765373454=

you really take those applications and USE them to figure out why/how things work the way they do(things that are truly simple...like opening a door... Now take that, and then with physics you can discover that: at a specific velocity and the effect of that on the air flow in the room, or something of the likes)

Had to go with Chemistry. It is absolutely fascinating. Interesting though that in US the education system usually starts with biology then chemistry then and only rarely for most students Physics. I was reading an article that said it should really be the other way around. Physics should be taught first, then chemistry and then biology - which makes sense to me because Physics lays the foundation for everything else.

Had to go with Chemistry.  It is absolutely fascinating.  Interesting though that in US the education system usually starts with biology then chemistry then and only rarely for most students Physics.  I was reading an article that said it should really be the other way around.  Physics should be taught first, then chemistry and then biology - which makes sense to me because Physics lays the foundation for everything else.

That’s true and I agree.

It should be

Phy - Chem - Bio

Master Q

Am am equally good at them, but Biology is my favourite.

I'm doin all the sciences next year AS level, then A level. lol, my biology teacher used to leave me to teach the class on busy days! I was top of the school in sciences! :o

Had to go with Chemistry.  It is absolutely fascinating.  Interesting though that in US the education system usually starts with biology then chemistry then and only rarely for most students Physics.  I was reading an article that said it should really be the other way around.  Physics should be taught first, then chemistry and then biology - which makes sense to me because Physics lays the foundation for everything else.

That’s true and I agree.

It should be

Phy - Chem - Bio

Master Q

I completely agree!!! in school I went..

9th grade-Biology I Honors

10th grade- Earth/Space Science Honors(elective), Chemistry Honors

11th grade- General Biology I/Zoology(college credits/dual enrolled)

12th grade- Physics Honors

In college as a physics major, that was the science I took predominantly

But in grade school it should be taught the other way around

For those who don’t know what we are talking about . . . . .

Here’s why it should be Physics-Chemistry-Biology:

Well first off it is really not because “this is harder then that” and so on, but has to do with what you learn in each. If you take chemistry before physics, then you have to have a whole section on the physics of atoms. If you take biology before chemistry, then you have to have a whole section on atoms & bonding.

Physics -

You would have all the regular areas of study. At the end you should look at the atom.

Chemistry -

Because you already know about the atom you can have section you can skip (well you can review)

Biology -

You would not have to talk about bonding and the like . . . . .

With a system like this they would all tie into each other in high school

Master Q

Well first off it is really not because “this is harder then that” and so on, but has to do with what you learn in each. If you take chemistry before physics, then you have to have a whole section on the physics of atoms. If you take biology before chemistry, then you have to have a whole section on atoms & bonding.

Hmm. I don't have much of a problem with biology-chemistry-physics. In my mind, it just kept getting better! We never talked about bonding in biology. We never talked about the atom in physics. *shrugs* But I see your point, and it does make sense.

I remember a instructor I had  in physics said: (please excuse the language)

?This is the real stuff! The real use of math! Not the fake crap they teach you in math class.?

Math can look at the patterns of numbers, but the fun part is once you apply that math to the real world ? physics

Master Q

OMG! Sounds like my College physics professor(that class is also called General Physics, which is basically physics without using calculus)...he said something like that!!!

OMG!! That sounds like me! You guys weren't in any of my physics classes were you?

Hmm.  I don't have much of a problem with biology-chemistry-physics.  In my mind, it just kept getting better!  We never talked about bonding in biology.  We never talked about the atom in physics.  *shrugs*  But I see your point, and it does make sense.

Well if you did not talk about chem in biology then what did you do?

In any biology class a large part is on biochem

For example:

-Ration of hydrogen to oxygen atoms in carbohydrates . . .

-Insulin is a lipid . . .

-Water is a polar compound . . .

And so on

You need a good grasp of chem to really understand bio and to understand chem you need to understand the physics of atoms. Any class (unless you have really bad instructor) of bio needs chem.

Without chem you could really not know what something like the kreb cycle is and how it really works and so on - there are so many examples ...

Master Q

You need a good grasp of chem to really understand bio and to understand chem you need to understand the physics of atoms. Any class (unless you have really bad instructor) of bio needs chem.

Well... I must have had a bad instructor, then. 'Cause we really didn't do much of chemistry at all.

I see what you're saying, though. It does make a lot of sense, and maybe they should change it. But we also did get basic chemistry, biology, and physics in middle school. That provided a nice foundation to everything we needed to know. To me, highschool is something to elaborate on what was previously learned in middle school. Middle school provides the foundation you need. So then it really shouldn't matter what order you take your sciences in.

Well... I must have had a bad instructor, then. 'Cause we really didn't do much of chemistry at all.

mine didn't either, it was all throughout the book, and my 9th grade bio teacher kept generalizing the chemistry sections with....you will go into detail with this next year.... :rolleyes: Some of us(me for one) went ahead and studied those sections anyway!

mine didn't either, it was all throughout the book, and my 9th grade bio teacher kept generalizing the chemistry sections with....you will go into detail with this next year.... :lol: Some of us(me for one) went ahead and studied those sections anyway!

One of the things that I mentioned was something called the Krebs Cycle. I don’t really know how someone could really learn it without knowing some chem. With out understanding how the chem. works then you really miss the actual concepts of something like the Krebs Cycle. With out chem. all you are doing is memorizing pointless steps.

We really need our schools to be in the order of physics, chemistry, and then biology (and of course for a forth year a student could take an AP course). We also need course not be “traditional.” (as in the actual instruction)

Master Q

LOL, Does that imply Chemistry? Or Physics? (something like nuclear physics)

{It probably implies chemistry}

Master Q

One of the things that I mentioned was something called the Krebs Cycle. I don’t really know how someone could really learn it without knowing some chem. With out understanding how the chem. works then you really miss the actual concepts of something like the Krebs Cycle. With out chem. all you are doing is memorizing pointless steps.

We really need our schools to be in the order of physics, chemistry, and then biology (and of course for a forth year a student could take an AP course). We also need course not be “traditional.” (as in the actual instruction)

Master Q

Exactly, matter of fact in 9th grade we actually had to do a project of Kreb's cycle and the entire process for cellular respiration. I understood it because I read those sections(plus I had gotten a chemistry book from my uncle) that my teacher told us to skip. But the hardest part was for everyone to explain the process(which was a large portion of the grade!)....you can see why the scores, except mine and three others, were pretty low.

I agree on the order you suggest too.

History

Interesting, VBG... History is a wonderful subject, I voted for it however I voted for it in the social science poll(think it is in Off Topic)... Not trying to be a smarta**, but I was checking this thread and was confused when I saw your post...so I scrolled back to other posts to see I was in the right thread and not the social science poll.

CHEMISTRY Afterall, the thought of mixing things and having the potential to blow things up is incredible! Plus, I had an AWESOME teacher in High School named Dr. Scott.. But, he quit teaching to go back to Wisconsin and be a denstist. MUCH more money!

well i've been thinking about this, and i finally came up with chemistry. i do enjoy getting to play with the different mixtures of stuff. i also enjoy, but didnt get to learn near enough of it, egyptology, and mythology, also astronomy. i love anything to do with space, and the stars. :)