Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VaBeachGuy

Springtime in Virginia

I have 4 cherry trees in my front yard that bloom every spring, they only stay this way for 4 or 5 days a year and then the green leaves come out and the blossoms fall off but for a few days each year my front yard is the focal point of the neighborhood for passing cars.

Here's a few pictures I took a couple days ago.

April_11_2005a.JPG

April_11_2005b.JPG

April_11_2005c.JPG

wow those trees are beauitiful, so beautiful i will come in the night and steal them :blink: j/k

All seriousness they are really gorgeous.

Those trees are amazing VBG..Something beautiful to look forward to each year I'm sure..

My significant other was just in Washington DC and saw the Cherry blossoms there in their full glory. Your trees look beautiful and you get too enjoy them, though briefly, every year. You are lucky.

Hmmm..... now I am going to have to figure out whether I have a dogwood or a cherry tree outside my window. I thought I had a dogwood. But the flowers, which have just about dropped off now, were clumped tightly along the branches like in VBG's pictures.

I love this part os the Springtime also, because flowering trees are in bloom all over the city where I live. One of the two main hospitals has a wooded area on one side that is planted with flowering trees, and it is just beautiful right now.

Hmmm..... now I am going to have to figure out whether I have a dogwood or a cherry tree outside my window. I thought I had a dogwood. But the flowers, which have just about dropped off now, were clumped tightly along the branches like in VBG's pictures.

I love this part os the Springtime also, because flowering trees are in bloom all over the city where I live. One of the two main hospitals has a wooded area on one side that is planted with flowering trees, and it is just beautiful right now.

318622[/snapback]

Here's a picture I found of a flowering Dogwood tree:

White%20Flowering%20Dogwood.jpg

318622[/snapback]

Here's a picture I found of a flowering Dogwood tree:

White%20Flowering%20Dogwood.jpg

319028[/snapback]

Okay...my tree just might not be the dogwood I thought it was. With that inset of the flowers to compare, I went ouside and made a few discoveries.

The flowers on my ( well really...OUR) tree (...it belongs to everyone in the building even though it is outside MY window...) have five petals, and they were more tapered than rounded, like the dogwood petals. And here is something ...there are both white and pink flowers on the same tree.

The pink dominates when you look at the tree from a distance, so I thought the flowers were all pink.

But the tree has smaller white flowers and larger pink flowers. The smaller are less than an inch in diameter, and the larger just a little more than an inch. ( I'm estimating.) The pink and white flowers smell differently. I can't remember my high school botany, but can this tree have both 'male' and 'female' flowers? They grow along the whole branch, covering the branch, like in VBG's pictures.

But now I do not think it is a cherry tree either. I will ask my neighbors, because at least one of them is very good with pruning ( which she does if the people who are supposed to do it are slow..). If anyone thinks they might know...chime in.

To get back on topic, the trees in your photos are lovely, VBG. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for causing me to know my own tree a little better. Now I have a little mystery.

Your pictures make me want more than one of my ( I mean OUR) flowering tree on our grounds.

VBG, Did that storm you guys got damage them? When it came through here, it was pretty nasty (Though up here in the far-north Burbs of Chi-Town we got off easy.) I knew the Cherry Blossoms were blooming now, I just hope mother nature didn't decide to wreck them, cus they really are quite beautiful.

Thanks for sharing views of your trees with us VBG! They are beautiful and I enjoyed the music too. What is that piece from? Hope those storms didn't mess with the cherry blossoms. I'm headed to DC, but not until May, so all the blooms will be gone :welcome: Thanks again!

Great pics!

In the spring we usually get a good crop of poppies on the side of the mountian. None are blooming yet, but I plan to get pics when they do. It really does looks quite spectacular.

VBG, Did that storm you guys got damage them? When it came through here, it was pretty nasty (Though up here in the far-north Burbs of Chi-Town we got off easy.) I knew the Cherry Blossoms were blooming now, I just hope mother nature didn't decide to wreck them, cus they really are quite beautiful.

Nope no damage, not to the trees anyway. It did knock me offline and knocked the DirecTV off for about 20 minutes which messed up my recording of the basketball game. No big deal though.

Thanks for sharing views of your trees with us VBG! They are beautiful and I enjoyed the music too. What is that piece from? Hope those storms didn't mess with the cherry blossoms. I'm headed to DC, but not until May, so all the blooms will be gone :welcome: Thanks again!

The music is from, of all places... the NFL. It's from a CD entitled Autumn Thunder - 40 Years of NFL Films Music. That track is called Coronation.

Here's the full song:

http://www.startrekfans.net/music/Coronation.mp3

Great pics!

In the spring we usually get a good crop of poppies on the side of the mountian. None are blooming yet, but I plan to get pics when they do. It really does looks quite spectacular.

Thanks, I always enjoy the trees when they bloom. I've intended on taking pics every day as they bloom for several years but this year was the first time I actually remembered to do it.

I have 4 cherry trees in my front yard that bloom every spring, they only stay this way for 4 or 5 days a year and then the green leaves come out and the blossoms fall off but for a few days each year my front yard is the focal point of the neighborhood for passing cars.

April_11_2005a.JPG

April_11_2005b.JPG

April_11_2005c.JPG

It's hard to believe another year has passed but the trees don't lie, they're blooming again.

It's always fun to see those trees blooming as a hint of what it will look like soon here in the Midwest. Thanks VBG for sharing the pictures, and giving us a taste of the great Spring season to come!

How old are those trees?

It's always fun to see those trees blooming as a hint of what it will look like soon here in the Midwest. Thanks VBG for sharing the pictures, and giving us a taste of the great Spring season to come!

How old are those trees?

I'm a little late in answering, but better late than never...

I'm not 100% sure on the ages but if memory serves I would say 15 years for the oldest down to about 12 or 13 years for the youngest.

I should go out in the next day or 2 and take some current pictures to show Fall in Virginia lol. Actually I should have done that a couple of weeks ago when the leaves were turning, now the trees are basically bare.

April_11_2005a.JPG

April_11_2005b.JPG

April_11_2005c.JPG

It's hard to believe another year has passed but the trees don't lie, they're blooming again.

Yet another Blooming season is here.

Four years difference in the trees, of course the 2005 pic is in full bloom while the 2009 pic is going to start blooming any time now:

April_11_2005b.JPG

They are budding though...

They are very pretty do they also produce fruit?

No, just the blossoms each spring. At least they haven't had any cherries on them since I've had them anyway.

I'm also working on a video of the trees blooming this year, should be cool when it's done next month.

i'd move to the south....but im one of those people that hates humidity and the frequent storms....and oh yeah...no matter where you are, there's always a combo of wasps, hornets, and killer bees...