Sign in to follow this  
Lessa_Soong

Was Lore evil?

This was talked about on the other board the other day and go me to thinking. What do you all think. Was Lore evil, maladjusted, just mean or selfish?

I thought he was an ego on feet, but not really evil.

I think he did some evil things but I think Dr. Soong was right when he said that Lore was not given the same chances as Data. Data had been in Starfleet for approximately 20 years before he was assigned to the Enterprise but he said that Geordi was his first friend. Let's assume that Lore's treatment on Omicron Theta was similar - no friends, etc. and add into that mix the emotions that Lore possessed and that is a recipe for resentment, bitterness and anger. If Lore had been given the chances I think he would have been just fine.

I think he did some evil things but I think Dr. Soong was right when he said that Lore was not given the same chances as Data. Data had been in Starfleet for approximately 20 years before he was assigned to the Enterprise but he said that Geordi was his first friend. Let's assume that Lore's treatment on Omicron Theta was similar - no friends, etc. and add into that mix the emotions that Lore possessed and that is a recipe for resentment, bitterness and anger. If Lore had been given the chances I think he would have been just fine.

Hmmmm, maybe you are right. The thing is that I do not think Lore could ever be trusted. Look at the evil stuff he did to his brother. :blink:

=Lessa_Soong,Mar 24 2003, 07:34 AM] This was talked about on the other board the other day and go me to thinking. What do you all think. Was Lore evil, maladjusted, just mean or selfish?

I thought he was an ego on feet, but not really evil.

Was Lore evil, maladjusted, just mean or selfish? That is a good question but I thinnk he just never had the friends that Data had and so he was allwasys doing the wrong things :blink: :devil:

I don't think he's particularly evil, however his actions were evil and I hated the way he treated his brother. But like Lessa stated, I definately agree that he is an ego on feet! I think he was pretty mean and maybe a little maladjusted, but, after the way he was treated by the colonists (at least from what Soong and Lore had said) no wonder he turned out the way he did! There was probably no way for him to avoid being angry and bitter, wouldn't you be if you were treated that way?

I think he DID need a chance though.

I think for the sake of the character he had to be evil..looking beyond that only makes it seem contrived..but..I agree...there are many definitons of evil and Lore was more bitter and upset then anything.

Looking beyond may seemed contrived but, I still don't think he was purely evil. He knew what he was doing was wrong, he even admitted that he had problems. . . .but, then he didn't really push to get help either . That is the true conundrum that is Lore!

Looking beyond may seemed contrived but, I still don't think he was purely evil. He knew what he was doing was wrong, he even admitted that he had problems. . . .but, then he didn't really push to get help either . That is the true conundrum that is Lore!

Good point. Your an android..seems kindof silly to make this argument..if that..How do you seek help? Get your brother who you've tried to kill numerous times to lend aid?

Good point. Your an android..seems kindof silly to make this argument..if that..How do you seek help? Get your brother who you've tried to kill numerous times to lend aid?

Or go to Starfleet who would send you to Maddox or Halftel who would probably dismantle you rather than fix you.

Or go to Starfleet who would send you to Maddox or Halftel who would probably dismantle you rather than fix you.

OK, OK you two I see your points! Hey, I'm just trying to give him a chance (And,yes, I know I said that many times before). Actually, in Brothers he did ask Soong why he didn't fix him. And, Soong said there wasn't time. OK, maybe it is just me, but instead of doing another bad thing(murdering his father and incapacitating his brother) why did he not try asking again. . .in that short time (which may have been longer, if he didn't kill Soong!) something may have been done. Even if it was a small adjustment.

Yes VaBeachGuy, I think he did have the capactiy to be good! Doesn't everyone?

I know you love him, sister. That is what I figured when I posted something once and you defended him like my sister does!(Remember, she was the one in love with Lore to the point of marrying a guy who acts sorta like him)

Hee hee, "Dad always liked him better" :) That is so true for Lore!

I still hope that one day, Data would get to fix Lore. I would not want Lore to be a copy of Data, since Lore was interesting in himself, but i would want him fixed.

Lore, IMO, was not evil, just way too full of himself. He was told that he was better then humans and he took that to mean that he should be treated as an almost God by us. When the colony folk were scared of him instead of envious, he got hurt, confused and angry. But how does an android with the IQ of a million and the strength of ten men learn to control his anger? I think that Dr. Soong must have ignored Lore when Lore needed him most and that Juliana was to afraid to get too close to him for fear of Lore breaking down like the others. So, poor Lore was left to his own and did not choose well on how to deal with his anger.

But can you imagine what he would be like if he were well adjusted, inside and...well, inside? He would be funny. :)

Ok PEOPLE!! HE KILLED HIS FATHER.. he ALMOST killed Geordi, Picard and DEANNA, and the Crystaline entity.. yeah well that was him TOO.. Hello he is alll over the Evil Board..

Yeah and the fact that he like tourterd Data with the Emotions.. YEAH BUDDy hes EVIL!!!!!!

~Lauren :)

Was Lore evil?

Only after a few curries and a bottle of larger! :)

Personally, I always liked the idea that Lore was malfunctioning. This (at least in 'DataLore') gave him an eerie quality with assumption that a defective device could do anything in an unpredictable manner.

I still hope that one day, Data would get to fix Lore. I would not want Lore to be a copy of Data, since Lore was interesting in himself, but i would want him fixed.

Lore, IMO, was not evil, just way too full of himself. He was told that he was better then humans and he took that to mean that he should be treated as an almost God by us. When the colony folk were scared of him instead of envious, he got hurt, confused and angry. But how does an android with the IQ of a million and the strength of ten men learn to control his anger? I think that Dr. Soong must have ignored Lore when Lore needed him most and that Juliana was to afraid to get too close to him for fear of Lore breaking down like the others. So, poor Lore was left to his own and did not choose well on how to deal with his anger.

But can you imagine what he would be like if he were well adjusted, inside and...well, inside? He would be funny. :)

That is so good, sister! Your post makes complete sense. And we all know that us Soongs are gonna try to talk everyone into believing he wasn't evil, and everyone will be trying to change OUR minds! And yes I think that he was completely alone in the weeks after his "birth". He seems to be the child that no one wanted! That is sad, because he could have been much more!

Lords, no I'd never want Lore to be a copy of Data, as much as I don't want B4 to be a copy either. Each son of Soong was different, each an individual. . .and they should forever stay that way. I did want to see Lore get help. . . whoever and wherever that could occur!

He did not kill Soong, Soong was dying and Lore hurt him, but he was ready to die. Lore just was having a temper tantrum and with the strength of ten men, he can have a bigger one them most.

I still think he jsut needs help. His ethical sub routine needs rebooting and he needs his head screwed on right.

I wonder if he could live with what he had done if he were fixed or if he would have to be wiped like Data was? :)