Should Data have died?

Was killing Data a bad idea  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Was killing Data a bad idea

• 1 Yes
    • 2 No
    • 3 Don't Care
    • 4 It made me cry

Just say Data was caught in the explosion and thrown clear by the shockwave and was found floating in space pretty much intact but damaged, OR he could have been found in pieces floating in space after the explosion and was reassembled using parts from B4.

Then you can have Data back in the next TNG movie.

328545[/snapback]

I prefer the Q brings Data back storyline myself. That one brief moment of emotion Q gave Data in Deja Q just doesn't seem like enough of a payment for saving Q's life. This way we could have Data, Lore AND Q in a movie.

328547[/snapback]

That sounds like a decent idea to me :assimilated:

I know my little sister would sure get a kick out of seeing one of her favorites make a return to Trek(Lore).

I also will never really like the idea of B4 becoming Data.. just does not seem right to me. And I agree with another post of yours, saying it is impossible for it to happen like that.

What if Data was beamed out by a Romulan ship a split second before it blew up?

That one sounds plausible too. As does the possibility of him floating in space, after all he had thrown his brother across the cargo bay then transported him into space, only to have Lore reappear a few years later (after the Pakleds had found him and brought him aboard their ship).

Think back to the episode "The Defector", remember when Jarok is talking to Data in Ten Forward? He says "There are many Romulan Cyberneticists that would love to be this close to you" or something to that effect. It would be very believable to have the Romulans beam him out of the ship and keep it a secret allowing the Federation believe that Data was dead.

You see?

This is the beauty of Star Trek.

That it's so flexible, you can do ANYTHING with it.

Dead characters can come back, plot problems can be dealt with, and continuity and canon obstacles can easily be resolved.

I love it. :assimilated:

In my opinion, there have been a mere two good main character death scenes in all of Star Trek. (NOTE: I have yet to see Jadzia's death. *sigh*) Those are Spock's (which makes me cry every dang time) and Tasha's, and even Tasha's wasn't really about her death it was about her holorecording at the end of the episode.

Data's death, for me, was the second worst death scene I've seen in Trek. (1) It was so sudden. We didn't really have time to grieve, which is a necessity to a good death. (2) It's so fake! 'Oh, dear, Data's dead. But look, little B4 looks just like him and has his memories!!!' LAME. Not nearly as lame as Trip's death, but still lame. AND quite unnecessary. They could have easily found a way to save everybody. (Unlike Spock and Tasha's deaths, both of which were unavoidable.)