Should Data have died?

Was killing Data a bad idea  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Was killing Data a bad idea

• 1 Yes
    • 2 No
    • 3 Don't Care
    • 4 It made me cry

I never understood the point when Data died at the end of the movie. I thought it was a big mistake.

I think Data should of lived and so should Picard... No one from the main crew should had died at all.

I appreciate the fact that Data sacrificed himself for his captain and his ship. But I wish to high heaven they hadn't done it. His journey was/is so integral to TNG. He was always looking to be more human, never realizing that he pretty much already was. Sad really. But, it is science fiction. As Spock was fond of saying, "there are always possibilities."

They could easily bring Data back. There wasn't a body so they can come up with something.

I was just curous to what people thought of it.

317172[/snapback]

Well, you know what I have said about it in the past, Data.

But, to go ahead and join in on this thread...

I thought it was a bad idea, maybe I feel that way because he was my favorite character. But overall, I did not like the idea of him dying. Actually, in all honesty I did not think that a death was really needed(meaning of the main crew) in the film at all.

Your poll was kinda difficult to answer in a way, because not only did I think it was a bad idea... I cried my eyes out over it. Still to this day, I have to distract myself from watching that section of the film because no matter how good a mood I am in.. that scene will have me in tears. :flowers:

Edited by Yillara_Soong

They could easily bring Data back. There wasn't a body so they can come up with something.

317242[/snapback]

I think it wsa a mistake to kill off Data. I agree that they could bring him back. They did it with Spock. They should and could certainly do it with Data.

did you think if there were forums like thiswhen wrath of kahn came out, people would express their feeling the same way about Spock, I do, and at the end of the movie you learn Data isnt really dead b4 is turning into Data, which is why Picard was smiling after he left him

I voted No..i think it was a difficult but important decision to make...it preserves the integrity of the Data charactor, and the illusion that he was an android..Data told the boy in Insurrection that he would always be the same specifications..but Spiner is only human...all the make-up in the world can't keep up that illusion. It was a great that he got a hero's end...We Love Data...he got to go out in a blaze of glory. And now Spiner is free to pursue other acting roles..being a 'one hit wonder' is every actor's worst nightmare. He's a very talented actor. I loved him in Independance Day.. and look forward to viewing him in future endeavors.

Edited by headborg

I think I'm the only one to vote "don't care". Data died.

Data is an android, a machine. He's not suppose to age because he's a machine but Mr. Brent Spinner will age. How in the world is he suppose to play Data in Star Trek XX. I think they'll have to kill him sooner or later. At least he died as a hero.

Whether or not he died made no difference in my opinion of Nem. It was a fine action movie and even if he didn't die, it didn't reall matter but I would not mind if he eventually gets to be Admiral someday.

I think I was more upset at Kirk's death than Data's.

I agree. If Spiner had continued to play Data, at some point they would have to explain why Data has gained at least 30 pounds since TNG ended through Nemesis.

I agree. If Spiner had continued to play Data, at some point they would have to explain why Data has gained at least 30 pounds since TNG ended through Nemesis.

321076[/snapback]

Well, we do know that they have at least partially (and in canon, no less) explained why Data appears to be a bit older. And that is an ageing program he had activated some time ago(or it may have always been active, no one would know for sure). And that could also encompass the weight gain too, since that often comes with ageing. As much as I like his appearance (meaning the gold skin and yellow eyes), they could have gone along the lines of what the Borg was doing to him and have him appear in later films with flesh colored skin... he could have kept the yellow eyes if he wanted. But that would allow for him to age with the rest of the crew members.... Just like his own mother, who is now an elderly woman and also an android. She was 40+ years YOUNGER when she originally died and her memories transferred to the android body she occupies. That body was designed to age "with a program similar to the one Data has" (I am paraphrasing what was said in "Inheritance", though the wording may be a little off.)

It made me cry...so touching. I love the scene when Picard talks to B-4 and B-4 begins to sing. Awesome.

I think that is was better for Data to die because it came to the point where it was Data or Picard was going to die and Data can be brought back in some fashion (i.e. Geordi breaks into a secret Starfleet facility and steals Lore's parts, rebuilds him, downloads Data's memory from B-4 to Lore and Data's back. However, Lore's programing resurfaces and he steals a ship are goes off and plots revenge. The Enterprise and Titan crews unite to track down Lore. Okay, not a great plot.)

Anyway, on topic, Data dying is far more heroic. Data would have survived the Thalaron blast but he laid his life down to save his friends.

Geordi breaks into a secret Starfleet facility and steals Lore's parts, rebuilds him, downloads Data's memory from B-4 to Lore and Data's back

I had always thought that since Data kept Lore on the Enterprise-D, Lore would have probably been destroyed when the D blew up. The same goes for the remains of Lal and those of Data's mother.

On the whole I think it was a bad idea to kill off Data, but for the movie itself it was a good thing because it gave it a very emotional scene.

Anyway the fact that B4 is around and had all Datas memories transfered to him sort of gives a hope that a little piece of data is still alive

For all the people who think B4 can turn into Data, I urge you to watch the Enterprise episode Similitude.

Click For Spoiler

The same can be said regarding Data and B4.

They shouldn't have "killed" that character off.

The producers should have removed that element from the script.

It was pointless anyway because they just had an identical android remaining with Data's memories beginning to emerge.

IE: RESET BUTTON!!!!

That's like someone running over your dog with a large vehicle, only for an identical dog to come along with the same bark, who does the same tricks, eats the same food, and answers to the same name.

They shouldn't have "killed" that character off.

The producers should have removed that element from the script.

It was pointless anyway because they just had an identical android remaining with Data's memories beginning to emerge.

IE: RESET BUTTON!!!!

That's like someone running over your dog with a large vehicle, only for an identical dog to come along with the same bark, who does the same tricks, eats the same food, and answers to the same name.

328539[/snapback]

I agree that Data shouldn't have been killed off.

I disagree regarding Data and B4. B4 is not and never will be Data. B4 had his own memories as well as Data's so he knows he's not Data. As I said in my previous post, for the same reason Sim was not Trip, B4 cannot be Data.

I disagree regarding Data and B4. B4 is not and never will be Data. B4 had his own memories as well as Data's so he knows he's not Data. As I said in my previous post, for the same reason Sim was not Trip, B4 cannot be Data.

Weirdly, in the script he's called B-9 ("benign"). :naughty:

Just say Data was caught in the explosion and thrown clear by the shockwave and was found floating in space pretty much intact but damaged, OR he could have been found in pieces floating in space after the explosion and was reassembled using parts from B4.

Then you can have Data back in the next TNG movie.

I think the death of Shinzon was more shocking than Data's. That was possibly the most grusome way a character died on Star Trek, pulling himself through that metal pole. I heard people groan when that happened at the theater.

Just say Data was caught in the explosion and thrown clear by the shockwave and was found floating in space pretty much intact but damaged, OR he could have been found in pieces floating in space after the explosion and was reassembled using parts from B4.

Then you can have Data back in the next TNG movie.

328545[/snapback]

I prefer the Q brings Data back storyline myself. That one brief moment of emotion Q gave Data in Deja Q just doesn't seem like enough of a payment for saving Q's life. This way we could have Data, Lore AND Q in a movie.

I read somewhere that Paramount didn't like the benign reference, so they "asked" the producers to change it.

I read somewhere that Paramount didn't like the benign reference, so they "asked" the producers to change it.

328549[/snapback]

I had read they changed it to B4 when they remembered the robot in Lost In Space was called B9.

Where's choice #5? He didn't die.

Remember, this is sci-fi. Just because the ship blew up and we think he was on it doesn't mean he was.

We also thought Sloan died in DS9's "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges", we saw him vaporized by a Romulan disruptor. Later we learned that it was all a trick, he was beamed out an instant before the disruptor would have killed him.

What if Data was beamed out by a Romulan ship a split second before it blew up?

I believe that Data's disembodied head is floating around space just waiting to be attached to B4's body....... :naughty: