Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Was this the cause of ENT's demise?

I'm looking forward to seeing what the ratings are for Enterprise when it starts it second run syndication in the fall. I bet the ratings will be much higher than what they are on UPN because more people will have access to watching the series in syndication.

Possibly. Contrary to what people may think, I hope it does very well in syndication and DVD sales. This will help Paramount which in turn will help the future of the franchise. I have my doubts, but when I look at ENT, I don't celebrate the fact that a Star Trek show could be so poor and that it failed, I look at it and think of what it COULD have been. It's a real shame.

There is a difference between bashing and critisizing, King. If a person wants to critisize Enterprise or say they don't like it, that's fine - it's their opinion and they are entitled to it. Bashers nitpick an episode to death and/or do their best to belittle people who do enjoy it.

I don't think so Takara. Bashing is a nonsensical word. It's simply criticising something that in some people's opinions (mine obviously included) is well deserving of criticism. I don't and I haven't seen other ENT critics nitpicking the episodes to death, but we DO comment on certain things we see. Some things are good, but unfortunately those are rare occurances.

You may sometimes think we are being cruel, but I assure you this is simply not the case. Being harsh sends a signal to those people leading the franchise that we will NOT accept a third rate Trek show. We want the best, we want the highest standards of excellence, and I assure you, we WILL get what we want.

We didn't get a good Trek show with ENT, and that's OK because it's over or at least it will be soon, and honestly once the final episode airs here in the UK, I will probably never speak of that show again. But we hope the next Trek show will be better, because if it isn't, then the criticisms or the "bashing", whatever you want to call it, will be back again.

As for belittling people who like ENT, this is simply not true. You Takara for example are a fan of ENT. Have I ever said "Takara is stupid for liking ENT?" Have I ever said "Takara is below me for liking ENT" or that you are a lesser person because you are an ENT fan? No, of course I haven't said such things. I wouldn't judge a person based on the fact they like a Star Trek show that I personally don't.

I think Deep Space Nine is the best Trek, but if one day you said "I don't like DS9" do you really think I would say "Hmmm, Takara doesn't like DS9, so I guess she must be belittling me". No, not at all.

While watching recent Enterprise Episodes I was amazed at the level of graphics and detail spoured into episodes; the greater sense of realism when it came to presenting alien worlds, and the seriousness of the drama. However, the ratings are significantly lower than for TNG over 15 years ago when graphics were more wobbly and planets more card board looking. The current generation have been spoiled with CGI effects and huge Holywood budget movies. There is a tendency for them to drift into 'reality' viewing and home make over shows. The culture is changing and Star Trek and the genre it represents is just fading out. The light just cant keep burning forever, and it is the older generation who cling to the franchise with the attachments to the wonder and newety of the first years of TNG. Star Trek needs a break to go and sort itself out, and to wait until the current fads have ended and the public are once again ready to embrace such a show. I myself look forward more to Desperate Housewives now, than I do for Star Trek. I've just moved on. At the end of the day, with studios, it all comes down to numbers...

I recall that when TNG first came out, the bashers were out in force as well. TNG never really hit its stride until the 4th season but at least in its case it was given a chance to mature and get good. Unfortunately, Enterprise never got that chance.

The differences between my beloved TNG and Enterprise are huge and so I must comment.

TNG had it's own difficulties at the beginning; poor makeup, finding the "chemistry" between players, etc.

However, that being said, I must strongly assert that the story lines were always intriguing.

Yes, the other things did come together, and I think before the fourth season. By the fourth season it was hugely strong and I always knew it would be a well written show.

I think what most likely happened with Enterprise is the story lines just didn't grab at people the way the other series of Trek have. The special affects that have been mentioned are nice, but they have had nothing really to do with why people love Trek.

Why do we all like to watch TOS if it's for the special affects? :yahoo:

It's for the writing, the ideas, the morality, ethics, humor and the hope for a brighter and better future for everyone regardless of race, religion or sex that Trek had always provided consistantly week after week.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

There is a difference between bashing and critisizing, King. If a person wants to critisize Enterprise or say they don't like it, that's fine - it's their opinion and they are entitled to it. Bashers nitpick an episode to death and/or do their best to belittle people who do enjoy it.

I don't think so Takara. Bashing is a nonsensical word. It's simply criticising something that in some people's opinions (mine obviously included) is well deserving of criticism. I don't and I haven't seen other ENT critics nitpicking the episodes to death, but we DO comment on certain things we see. Some things are good, but unfortunately those are rare occurances.

I have to agree "basher" is a mean spirited word that "some" ENT fans apply to anyone that doesn't have a Pollyana-esque view of ENT. It surprises me because if we called someone "insert perjorative term of choice" for not sharing our opinion we'd be censured. But it's okay to call them a "basher" if they don't share your opinion of ENT? :yahoo:

I hope that all of you that are blaming ENT's demise on "bashers" aren't involved in finance or accounting fields. Because the bottom line is all that matters. I will repeat - if ENT had had high ratings in the desired demographic then it would have been renewed. There is also a littel axiom that there is no such thing as "bad press". It's true - if you hear something negative about a show, a movie, a book or whatever you're going to be compelled to check it out. That's how I ended up watching Harry Potter - I kept hearing how "evil" it was so I decided to watch it - now I've watched all three HP movies.

I think UPN did Star Trek a disservice with both VOY and ENT and I wish Star Trek could get out of their grasp before the next series.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

Most of us have got used to having ENT fans calling us "bashers".

I think people who use that term against others simply make themselves look and sound silly.

But, I regard a "basher" as nothing more than a "critic" so if people want to label me a basher, then so be it, I would wear that term as a badge of honour.

His Royal Highness The King.

ENT basher, and proud of it. :yahoo:

I am a trek and J. Michael Straczinski fan (Creator of Babylon 5)

I prefer TNG.

This is a man who knows people in the trek universe, the question piqued my interest , the answer had my mind whiring.

Hm. How could he "know" people in the ST universe? lol.

Now whilst ENT wasn't the worlds best show, most peolpe will agree there was a change in it in the quality of the stories and the Answer JMS gave this poster made me think.

What does "ENG" stand for?

If the powers that be meddled so much in Voyager and made it a sub par (when comparred to DS9 TNG and the original) Could it not have happened with ENT too?

Probably. I think Captain Picard has been the best Captain :assimilated: The older ones are alright, just a bit dated, TNG is tolerable due to its exceptional cast.

What does "ENG" stand for?

If you are talking about "ENT", it stands for Enterprise, the last Trek TV show. :assimilated:

What was the cause of ENT's demise?

UPN

I would say it failed because it lacked charm and a sense of humour. It was too serious - the series focused too much on being 'realistic' and gritty. The stories of seasons 1-3 just unfolded without any major points of interest or novelty.

The characters always seemed depressed which affected the audience. I often didn't care what happened to them. They weren't playful like the TNG crew - they were always fed up about something or other, moaning away.

The Enterprise itself, as a ship, was rubbish and didn't feel like a character in itself, just a dark, flat CGi, thing that the mundane characters inhabited and flew about in, worried, stressed and miserable. I hated the bridge - boring and without novelty - and I hated engineering. The fact that Enterprise was a prequel meant that everything had to be 'older' than TOS so it was doomed from the start.

I think with futuristic programmes and films the only way to go is forward - further into the future (to wow us and test our imagination) not back into flat screen tvs etc. I know that the new Star Trek Movie was a prequal but it embraced the iPod era and just said oh to heck with overly retro technology lets just throw out canon and go with something very funcky and futuristic. Enterprise: you were a slave to the canon and you killed it as a result...