Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

hamburgers & hotdogs

Here is something that is interesting! 

Click For Spoiler
1885 - The family of Frank and Charles Menches from Akron, Ohio, claim the brothers invented the hamburger while traveling in a 100-man traveling concession circuit at events (fairs, race meetings, and farmers' picnics) in the Midwest in the early 1880s. During a stop at the Erie County Fair in Hamburg, New York, the brothers ran out of pork for their hot sausage patty sandwiches. Because this happened on a particularly hot day, the local butchers stop slaughtering pigs. The butcher suggested that they substitute beef for the pork. The brothers ground up the beef, mixed it with some brown sugar, coffee, and other spices and served it as a sandwich between two pieces of bread. They called this sandwich the "hamburger" after Hamburg, New York where the fair was being held. In Frank's 1951 obituary in The Los Angeles Times, he is acknowledged him as the ''inventor'' of the hamburger.

The Menches family is still in the restaurant business and still serving hamburgers in Ohio. On May 28, 2005, the town of Akron, Ohio will host the First Annual National Hamburger Festival to celebrate the 120th Anniversary of the invention of the hamburger. The festival will be dedicated to Frank and Charles Menches. That's how sure the city of Akron is on the Menches' family claim on the contested contention that two residents invented the hamburger. The Ohio legislature is also considering making hamburgers the state food.

317068[/snapback]

Very interesting Odie. I was in Akron recently but did not have any burgers. What is the name of their restuarant I wonder?

In Chicago there are a number of places well known for burgers and dogs beyond the chains. Near where I work is U Dawg U which has great burgers, dogs and polish. Some famous hot dog places in Chicago include Wolfies, Fat Johnnies, Demon Dogs, and Byron's. I'm making myself hungry! :wow:

When I want a Hamburger, I call work and get a pizza. Sounds funny, doesn't it? But have you SEEN the new Domino's Commercials with "The Donald"? We've got this new "American Classic Cheeseburger Pizza", It's got Cheddar and American Cheeses, crumbled bits of hamburger (seasoned like a regular hamburger) Tomatoes, onions, and the sauce? it's a ketchup type sauce with just a hint of mustard. and it is AWESOME!

When I want a Hamburger, I call work and get a pizza. Sounds funny, doesn't it? But have you SEEN the new Domino's Commercials with "The Donald"? We've got this new "American Classic Cheeseburger Pizza", It's got Cheddar and American Cheeses, crumbled bits of hamburger (seasoned like a regular hamburger) Tomatoes, onions, and the sauce? it's a ketchup type sauce with just a hint of mustard. and it is AWESOME!

317873[/snapback]

I may try it. If I don't like you know who I will blame! :devil2:

I eat hotdogs maybe two or three times a year, so I have no preference. When I did eat them a lot, I had them with chili, nacho cheese, relish, mayo, jalapenos, onions, and hot sauce.

When I eat a hamburger, it's usually just an Ultimate Cheeseburger from Jack in the Box. If I have it at home, I have it with lettuce, pickles, mayo, ketchup, onions, and hot sauce.

317873[/snapback]

317878[/snapback]

Probably me...I get blamed alot around here. probably because, with all the military folk current and former, running around my house, I'm the junior-most. (E-4)

I like my hamburgers and hot dogs cooked on my gas grill. Yum, yum! Even better, is to grill "brats" ~ I top them with lots of saurkraut and mustard, lol ~ as well as steaks and chicken. Wow, this could be a delicious summer! :wow:

317873[/snapback]

317878[/snapback]

Probably me...I get blamed alot around here. probably because, with all the military folk current and former, running around my house, I'm the junior-most. (E-4)

317897[/snapback]

I know what you mean. I was once an E-4 myself. Those where the days. :wow:

Yeah. and 2nd Class will come slow for me. 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year during the summer puts me towards the bottom of the pile for Advancement.

It varies depending on the event or the location but usually I like Burgers with the works, for Hotdogs I prefer just Mustard and/or chili.

Uhm I prefer not to eat meat sometimes... I just eat a hamburger and a hotdog... and the salad bowl  :wow:

316823[/snapback]

You eat the salad bowl, :nono: wouldn't you rather eat the salad? :wow:

When it comes to fast food burgers... I will pick Sonic or Checkers.

Sonic Jr. Cheeseburger with only ketchup with some ranch dressing :wow: can be pretty darned good!

Someday you will make 2nd.

317943[/snapback]

Someday, yea, like Dawn said.

318039[/snapback]

That's assuming I decide to re-enlist when my term is up. my term will be up about the same time I graduate college...

I do like regular hamburgers, with the works, 'specially if it's a BK Double Whopper. Micky D's and Wendy's have burgers that are good, too, but I like the size of BK's burgers. and I prefere a beer-battered bratwurst to Hotdogs.

summer has come early at my house, we grill just about every week. Not healthy, but oh well, it tastes so good. Going to do it again Saturday.

We grill hamburgers, hot dogs, boneless chicken breast, steak, and brats. Love the steak and hamburgers

I like my burgers medium-rare, real pink on the inside. With pickles, lettuce, mustard, ketchup, onions and sliced cheese.

and I like my steak medium-rare as well. But cooked with garlic salt, oh so good! :blink: I'm drooling like Homer just thinking about it!

man i want a Sonic around here

318220[/snapback]

Yeah, I was thrilled when they finally built one here. I had always heard about them, but never got to eat at a Sonic.

When I was on my trip to South Florida last weekend, I was getting ready to stop for lunch... I slammed on my breaks a little when I caught the sight of a Sonic out of the corner of my eye. Ended up not going there because I did not want to have to turn around and go back, I traveled for a while longer until I spotted a Woody's Barbeque resteraunt and had lunch there instead.

We grill hamburgers, hot dogs, boneless chicken breast, steak, and brats. Love the steak and hamburgers

I like my burgers medium-rare, real pink on the inside. With pickles, lettuce, mustard, ketchup, onions and sliced cheese.

and I like my steak medium-rare as well. But cooked with garlic salt, oh so good!

Too true here. In the case of the burgers we have them a little more well done than medium rare(since when my sister is over, she hates steak and burgers medium rare. And my brother is the same way). But steak.. for my mother, father and myself it has to be medium rare. In the case of my dad and I, a little more rare than my mother would have....but still in the range of medium rare.

We basically use Nature's Own seasoning.. which has garlic, onion and a bunch of other seasonings too. We use that for pretty much all of the meat we cook whether it be chicken, pork, beef or seafood.

I had 2 chili dogs for lunch today. :angry: It was better than fish I had for dinner. <_<

I like fish sticks too. The fish filet sandwich at McDonalds is one of my favorites .

I used to work for Subway, before I join the Navy, in my hometown for 3 years. It has changed a lot since than. <_<

I like Subway. In fact, I might buy one. I've been looking over their franchise brochures.

After working for Subway for 3 years I don't eat there anymore. I like to make my sandwhich than have someone else make it for me.