Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Where is your gas money going?

Here's an intresting bit of info my Uncle sent me, I haven't verified the info so please don't shoot me if its incorrect.

>Subject: Gas Prices...

>

>Gas rationing in the 80's  worked even though we grumbled about it.

>

>It might even be good for us!

>

>The Saudis are boycotting American goods.

>

>We should return the favor.

>

>An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

>

>Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into

>the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't

>import their oil from the Saudis.

>

>Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up

>the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me,

>my family, and my friends.

>

>I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies

>are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle

>Eastern oil :

>

>Shell............................. 205,742,000 barrels

>Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

>Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels

>Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels

>Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

>

>If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18

>BILLION!

>

>Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

>

>Citgo.......................0 barrels

>Sunoco...................0 barrels

>Conoco...................0 barrels

>Sinclair....................0 barrels

>BP/Phillips..............0 barrels

>Hess........................0 barrels

>ARC0........................0 barrels

>

>All of this information is available from the Department of Energy

>and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they

>are importing.

We buy ARCO. Which station do you gas up at?

Hooray for Citgo,

What is Walmart's gas company? I never even noticed. :wow:

Actually, on a related topic, I bought a California orange today in the grocery store (and l live in Florida). Do you realize that about 40% of the fuel consumption in this country is used on shipping food around.

I use Giant and Sheetz, whatever's cheaper. I should switch to using BP, they're the only gas station around here that has my bank's ATM in it.

are you guys gonna start boycotting gas companies? i mean, if you do that, why don't you just boycott everything? :wow:

are you guys gonna start boycotting gas companies? i mean, if you do that, why don't you just boycott everything? :wow:

314935[/snapback]

This isn't the first time that boycotting gas has been suggested, it's gone back into the late 80's, early 90's

Yeah. Sheetz can be turned into a high quality fuel. Expecially cowsheetz.................

Thats true. If everyone incorporated chili cheese dogs into their diet, our sheetz could fuel the world.......................

I tend to go to Gate or Kangaroo gas stations.. so whatever company they use. Plus I will occasionally go to a BP.

We have a Grocery Store in this area called Giant Eagle that Bought out Cross Roads Gas Stations, Now at Giant Eagle every $50 you spend there you get $.10 iff gas, not a bad deal I guess, but I dont often shop there, I really Perfer Sheetz

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sheetz

My mom buys from Fas Gas... does anyone know anything about them??

315080[/snapback]

Never heard of them...

We have a Grocery Store in this area called Giant Eagle that Bought out Cross Roads Gas Stations, Now at Giant Eagle every $50 you spend there you get $.10 iff gas, not a bad deal I guess, but I dont often shop there, I really Perfer Sheetz

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sheetz

315088[/snapback]

...nor them but those grocery stores attached to gas stations are very expensive, that ten bucks may not be the deal it seems to be if your paying 50% more for the groceries than they would be else where. :wow: There's gotta be a catch..

The only difference between different brands of gas is price and octane level. Years ago, I worked for 5 years at a gas station while going through college. Every once in awhile, they would send me down to the fuel depot to pick up supplies. The fuel depot is where all of the gas trucks fill up before delivering gas to the gas stations. Each oil company had huge container buildings where the gas was stored. They were right next to each other. Citgo,BP,Exxon and so forth. I found out that when one oil company was out of fuel there and needed to make a shipment, they merely bought/borrowed the gas from the neighboring oil company. They then returned the favor if the other oil company ran out.So you see, when you go to an Exxon for example, there is no guarantee that you are getting Exxon gas. It could be Hess,Amoco,BP and so on. There really is just 1 formula for making gas. The difference in brands is merely advertisment,price and octane.

woah. take a breath. gas prices are gonna go up and down, and be used for diff. things. the stock market goes up and down, does that mean you're gonna pull your stocks out?

i do not like cars - i think they are gross, and have refused to own one sicne i was seven - i live in the downtown core, mostly walk everywhere, and for my entire adult life have moved closer to wherever i need to be then...

that being said, my gas money goes to things like good food, saturday matinées, and keeping myself in nuts ... cashews, pralines - i find, even on a student income, that i can afford little extras 'cause i have no travelling expenses...

hmm, except for echinacea and vit c when i get a cold... :wow:

i do not like cars - i think they are gross, and have refused to own one sicne i was seven - i live in the downtown core, mostly walk everywhere, and for my entire adult life have moved closer to wherever i need to be then...

that being said, my gas money goes to things like good food, saturday matinées, and keeping myself in nuts ... cashews, pralines - i find, even on a student income, that i can afford little extras 'cause i have no travelling expenses...

hmm, except for echinacea and vit c when i get a cold... :P

315280[/snapback]

I hate cars too and I have survived a few periods of my life without owning one - but it was a pain. And since I have a forty mile commute one way to work - they are a necessary evil. What I wouldn't give to be able to walk to work and live in a civilized society that offered and utilized public transportation (but dont' get me started)

woah. take a breath. gas prices are gonna go up and down, and be used for diff. things. the stock market goes up and down, does that mean you're gonna pull your stocks out?

315267[/snapback]

I've already pulled my stocks out and invested in gold.

Perhaps I'm not understanding correctly...but if these other companies don't import oil.....why are their prices as high as the companies that do import..........I use Sheetz...I also drive a Toyota Prius, which is a hybrid car.........which also helps.

Gas stations keep their prices the same as others to avoid a price war, good for customers in the short term, but it would close many stations down. Also, after the war is over, there would only be a few stations left and they could charge whatever they wanted for prices.