Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

whispers

I'm Confused with this Episode I just watched on Spike Tv

Stardate: 47581.2

O'Brien returns from an away mission to discover that he has been locked out of every security system on the station, and that everyone has turned against him, including his wife.

Now how did they Replicate O'brien and god somebody explain this episode to me please Im just confused

I, too, was confused. Bashir scanned him, and he came up normal. It really makes you think... Bashir gave him a clean bill of health. They can DNA-scan people and check one against the other (Adm. Janeway in Endgame, for example), so they had to have known O'Brien was a clone. So I think, maybe they did know, but Bashir was told to play it cool.

I believe they've done cloning before in the ST universe.

Here's my explanation, retelling the episode with spoilers "as it happened" (as I understand it, anyhow):

Click For Spoiler
1. First contact with the alien race. Alien race explains paranoia about being bombed. Sisko sends O'Brien intending him to meet with them, and receive their security accomodations.

2. O'Brien meets the aliens on their world. On his way back, he is shot down by the rebels or terrorists, whatever they were. They clone him and send the clone back to DS9. The clone is programmed to think he is O'Brien, with all O'Brien's memories (including the security arrangements) and a "trigger phrase" is hidden in his brain to unlock instructions when he hears it. (This was done to Tuvok, by the Marquis, in Voyager.)

3. Someone on the alien planet smells fish, so he contacts Sisko, and tells him that O'Brien may be a liability. Sisko briefs the entire station before he returns, starting with Keiko and Molly both.

4. O'Brien's clone returns, honestly believing that he is Miles O'Brien. Everyone reacts strangely to him. His daughter says she hates him, his wife tries too hard. He's given jobs as far away from Ops and the Habitat Ring as possible, and shut out of the security arrangments. Bashir confirms O'Brien isn't O'Brien.

5. Thinking the rebels have got to Sisko, O'Brien heads back to the planet. Contrary to what Sisko or the aliens thought, I really don't think O'Brien wanted to attack anyone... he probably really thought he was going to warn them.

6. Sisko pursues O'Brien's clone. When O'Brien hides, Sisko goes straight to the rebels' planet. O'Brien goes in after them. Knowing that the clone is just a clone, Sisko kills the clone just as they're waking the real O'Brien up.

Brilliant episode.

I, too, was confused.  Bashir scanned him, and he came up normal.  It really makes you think... Bashir gave him a clean bill of health.  They can DNA-scan people and check one against the other (Adm. Janeway in Endgame, for example), so they had to have known O'Brien was a clone.  So I think, maybe they did know, but Bashir was told to play it cool.

349075[/snapback]

The DS9 crew knew it wasn't O'Brien the whole time, I thought. Bashir was just faking it with him about that physical exam. They were just stalling until they could locate and rescue the real O'Brien.

I loved this episode. You spend the whole time thinking that everyone except O'Brien are the bad guys and then at the end, boom, O'Brien was the "wrong" person.

The DS9 crew knew it wasn't O'Brien the whole time, I thought.  Bashir was just faking it with him about that physical exam.  They were just stalling until they could locate and rescue the real O'Brien.

I loved this episode.  You spend the whole time thinking that everyone except O'Brien are the bad guys and then at the end, boom, O'Brien was the "wrong" person.

349078[/snapback]

That's my thought too, they had to locate the real O'Brien and allow the double to go about his business.

I agree that they knew that he was a clone the entire time, but had to let things play out so that the could save the real O'Brien and find out exactly what was being planned by the rebels.