Sign in to follow this  
Lollypop

Chimps Belong In Human Genus

chimp_goto.jpg

Study: Chimps Belong In Human Genus

By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

Closer Than We Thought

May 20, 2003 — Chimpanzees share 99.4 percent of functionally important DNA with humans and belong in our genus, Homo, according to a recent genetic study.

Previous studies put the genetic similarity between humans and chimps at 95 to 99 percent, so the new figure suggests chimps and humans are even more closely related than previously thought.

Scientists analyzed 97 human genes, along with comparable sequences from chimps, gorillas, orangutans and Old World monkeys (a group that includes baboons and macaques).

I wouldn't be quite so fast to say they are that similar. A small difference can make a big difference. I was just recently watched a show on the differences between us and great apes and it turns out there are some suprising differences.

Guest Ktrek

Being a Christian I believe in Creationism. To me the similarities in the human genome speak of a common creator. If you see a painting by Van Gogh you know it's a Van Gogh because there are trademarks to the style. Well, the same thing holds true in creation. All this evidence does is point to God as the Creator not that we evolved from monkeys. No intermediary species have yet been found. Recently it was also proved with gene research that the human species that now exists is in no way related to Neanderthal man. That put one more nail in the evolutionists coffin. Anyway, these are my beliefs and opinions. You don't have to agree and I'm not trying to start a debate but I am no cousin to a monkey. I just have a common creator. B)

Ktrek

Do you know that mice have 80% of our DNA, and there are some worms that have 66% human DNA. :grin:

That has always been so very fascinating! It is truly amazing how a mere fraction of a difference changes the entire species....

I remember a teacher of mine in high school say something like... Goldfish are merely a pair of chromosomes different from potatoes(or some other wild comparison), definate points to ponder

Yeh well you share about 40% with a cabbage.

It's basic instructions of life which make up the bulk of the code.

chimp_goto.jpg

Study: Chimps Belong In Human Genus

By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

Closer Than We Thought

May 20, 2003 — Chimpanzees share 99.4 percent of functionally important DNA with humans and belong in our genus, Homo, according to a recent genetic study.

Previous studies put the genetic similarity between humans and chimps at 95 to 99 percent, so the new figure suggests chimps and humans are even more closely related than previously thought.

Scientists analyzed 97 human genes, along with comparable sequences from chimps, gorillas, orangutans and Old World monkeys (a group that includes baboons and macaques).

39000[/snapback]

Being a Christian I believe in Creationism. To me the similarities in the human genome speak of a common creator. If you see a painting by Van Gogh you know it's a Van Gogh because there are trademarks to the style. Well, the same thing holds true in creation. All this evidence does is point to God as the Creator not that we evolved from monkeys. No intermediary species have yet been found. Recently it was also proved with gene research that the human species that now exists is in no way related to Neanderthal man. That put one more nail in the evolutionists coffin. Anyway, these are my beliefs and opinions. You don't have to agree and I'm not trying to start a debate but I am no cousin to a monkey. I just have a common creator. :laugh:

Ktrek

39403[/snapback]

Yeh well you share about 40% with a cabbage.

It's basic instructions of life which make up the bulk of the code.

41428[/snapback]

Quote #1. LOVE IT!!!

Quote #2. I Agree

Quote #3. You are so right!!! And funny :bow:

Everything that has been created and/or evolved on Earth is related.

I agree with Ktrek, I am a Christian and believe in creation. However there has been an intermedary species found and her name is Lucy. I am not questioning my faith by any means, however there have been fossils found that would suggest that. I think that there might have been species made that God did not mention like Lucy that are extinct now. Like the DoDo. Man kind has hunted thousands of species to extinction. It's a shame that to this day and age it is still happeing. Just goes to show you that after thousands of years we may have advanced technologically, but we have not "evolved" any.

I agree with Ktrek, I am a Christian and believe in creation. However there has been an intermedary species found and her name is Lucy. I am not questioning my faith by any means, however there have been fossils found that would suggest that. I think that there might have been species made that God did not mention like Lucy that are extinct now. Like the DoDo. Man kind has hunted thousands of species to extinction. It's a shame that to this day and age it is still happeing. Just goes to show you that after thousands of years we may have advanced technologically, but we have not "evolved" any.

258559[/snapback]

Lucy is not quite the link. She does have some similarities to the link, but there are some qualities that diesqualify her.

I am also a Chrisitan who believes in creationism.

I must remind you of one very important thing. One base change in over a few thousand DNA can cause instability and death. For example, if I changed a base in your 23rd chormosome. I don't think you'll be a very happy person. Also, I must point out that there is a certain amount of the DNA to sustain life.

For example, If you examine the DNA of an earthworm, you'll find that one of the main differences between it and ourselves is our gender. the earthworm is a hermaphrodite. But that will constitute less than .001% of its DNA. Yes, such a big difference cause by such tiny details.

Recently it was also proved with gene research that the human species that now exists is in no way related to Neanderthal man. That put one more nail in the evolutionists coffin.

That's not really a nail. It's been known for a long time that both Neaderthal and cro magnon both came from the same basic ancestor, but cro magnon evolved into us. Neanderthals most likely could not adapt well enough to survive.

I understnad that it's your opinion, and I respect that. Mine is that since everything alive today evolved from one single source, or course every creature has DNA that's similar in one way or another.

To me, I think evolution is against the 2nd law of thrmodynamics.

271182[/snapback]

And that would be...?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the universe is getting more chaotic. There are fewer patterns than ever. It is the property of entropy. For example, which is more stable? A clean room or a messy one? It takes energy to keep the clean room stable, meaning the messy room is more prevalent. What keeps evolution going? There is no force, therefore meaning it violates the 2nd law.

I have been watching is thread and it is interesting. :) WAB, what about the environment? The weather is in a state of change. Wouldn't that be the force that causes evolution? :angry:

I have been watching is thread and it is interesting.  :)  WAB, what about the environment?  The weather is in a state of change.  Wouldn't that be the force that causes evolution?  :angry:

271623[/snapback]

But does that stimuli change the DNA even .1%? Most probably not. For example, your tan. If you get a tan. Your DNA does not change, only the cells change.

But if you and everyone around you remain in the sun for a long time, we're talking over the course of generations, your DNA WILL change. What percentage the change is, I don't know. .0001% or less, who know.

The point is, if the universe is getting more and more chaotic, then IMO evolution fixs in exactly with the second law. Go back millions of years and there were far fewer species, each with it's separate DNA sequence then there is now. And just because they don't exist now doesn't mean they never did.

How is the theory of evolution getting more chaotic? How is it that the branches don't fit? How come the pattern is getting more predictable according to evolution? If evolution were getting more chaotic, our DNA would degrade, our bases would dissassemble, the hydrogen bonds would break. According to entropy, we would all have cancer, all would have so many variants in our genetic code. Accroding to evolution, we are all the same. HOW IS THAT ENTROPY???

WHAT?? :hug: :) I'm sure glad I dragged this relic out of the back room. :)

OK, now WAB, what are you saying? I don't understand. Are you a Creationist or an Evolutionist?? You two aren't making much sense. Of course I don't know how long you two have been at it in here on this subject. wf, you said our DNA WILL change yet you had no definate percentage. what does THAT tell you?? How do YOU know how many species there were millions of years ago, nobody does. I don't believe our DNA changes. The combinations do but the basic structures don't.

and WAB how are you meaning the word 'entrophy'? There are a few definitions of it. Hold on.

A measure of the disorder or randomness in a closed system.

A measure of the loss of information in a transmitted message.

The tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity.

Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society.

OK, I'm presuming the last two would apply in this discussion, correct? Inert uniformity? Is that what your saying wf? I don't think so. :hug: That's ridiculous. The inevitable deterioration of a system? You think we are getting weaker and sicker and live fewer years than our ancestors did? That's not correct at all. WAB, I see where your going with this. I'm with you. BUT. I also think that there IS no missing link. The way we are is the way we are. Plain and simple. They are always looking for the missing link but can't find it BECAUSE there isn't one.

Edited by Jeanway

Look at it this way. To groups of the same species go to different areas. Over time they become seperate species. Then those species split up and become over time even more separate species. Over a course of 1 million years, one species becomes several, let's say 10. And many times those 10 new species are incapable of inter-mating. And when they can cross-breed, they create even more new species. That seems predictable, right? But then there are species that can't be classified with anything that been alive in any known time, or it's closest reletive died off 150 million years ago. And these abberations a become more common. It's rather funny, the more predictable evolution gets, the more unpredicted results we find.

I guess that would be more of a balance... The more stability there is, the more disorder exists.

And jeanway, yes, I believe that people are getting weaker and sicker over time. Maybe we live longer, but that's due to all the medications we have. Our bodies are adapting themselves to rely on antibiotics. If you took away all medicine in the world, within a couple generation our expected life-spans will drop by about 1/3. And it will stay that we until we re-adapt. Thanks to medicine, that means we'll have to de-evolve a little.

I just looked into entropy, just to make sure, and I don't really think either one of us was talking about it. You said,

The second law of thermodynamics states that the universe is getting more chaotic. There are fewer patterns than ever. It is the property of entropy. For example, which is more stable? A clean room or a messy one? It takes energy to keep the clean room stable, meaning the messy room is more prevalent. What keeps evolution going? There is no force, therefore meaning it violates the 2nd law.

However, entropy, in terms of thermodynamics, is defined as, "a quantity specifying the amount of disorder or randomness in a system bearing energy." The Second Law of Thermodynamics says nothing about the universe getting more chaotic. If anything, the prevailing pattern of the universe (moons around planets, planets around suns, stars around galaxy centers, and galaxies around the universal center) has always remained constant.

In sum, you are wrong.

As for what I was talking about, well, fair to say I was talking about something else entirely.

That means that I was wrong as well.

End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

I believe I was referring to a "system" meaning the human body, not the Solar System. So I don't believe I was wrong. :) And believe that which you quoted may not be entirely correct either. But that's me, always questioning things. :(

"What keeps evolution going? There is no force, therefore meaning it violates the 2nd law."

Maybe the 2nd Law isn't entirely correct. From the beginning of this statement I have issues. I mean these Laws are merely Hypothesis from the human mind. Trying to understand things that are out of our sphere of comprehension.

Lol, I think you misunderstood. I was talking to WEAREBORG4102. Sorry about not being clear. :blush 2:

post-897-1097771988.jpg

Why don't we just ask this guy HIS opinion? :P He looks sort of smart. He may be able to give us a fresh perspective on this :( :) :(

Finally a monkey. :P

I looked at the title of this thread and came in here yesterday all excited to see chimps and what to I get? Physics. :( More monkeys. They know how to stage a good debate. If you disagree with someone hit him with a turd and then laugh and point. That's a discussion I can respect. :(

monkey-toilet.jpg

^---That's how I do my thinking too :) :)

Don't EVEN get them started on the S*X issue. :P I understand they are very liberal. :) :(

post-897-1097772908.jpg

Ever see the Monkey for President cartoons at http//:www.campchaos.com? Funny stuff. Chimps AND politics AND humor. Doesn't get much better than that! :laugh:

If you check it out, you'll most likely have to look for it.

Edited by wishfire

HI Odie............. :laugh::laugh:

post-897-1097847307.jpgNaaa, Odie. It was started, or restarted way back in August, that's over 2 months for it to go Off Topic. That's when I found it way back on page 80 of the OFF TOPIC DICCUSSIONS FORUM. I don't know when it was started originally, over a year ago maybe??? :laugh:

It was originally started in June 2003. Well, since I'm back here editing I might as well throw another monkey in here, now let's see, hmmmm............ :eek:

Edited by Jeanway