Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VaBeachGuy

17 Years ago today

It's hard for me to believe but today marks 17 years since I signed my enlistment contract to join the Army, I didn't actually leave for Basic Training until May 27th (1988) but it was March 17th that I signed on the dotted line.

It's funny because just yesterday I got a package from the Department of Defense, it was an award for serving in the military during the Cold War.

Time goes by so fast, it's hadr to believe.

It sure does doesn't it..?  :P You were in the Army?!

310738[/snapback]

Yep I was a soldier for a few years.

Here's a couple pics that I posted elsewhere on the site:

me.jpg

kevin_hood2.jpg

Kool, We seem to be having alot of so many years today's latly. Wonder what it will be next.

17 years ago, I was in Elementary school. Hopefully that doesn't make VBG feel TOO old.

And about getting your CWSM, That's a medal I won't have, but I have two versions of the GWAT, which makes up for it.

BTW, I know someone who retired a couple years ago and just got his GWAT and CWSM...frickin DOD is behind the times...

I believe I'm eligible for a Gulf War award because I served at the very beginning of Desert Shield, I didn't deploy but my battalion did. They deployed on September 29th, I got out on October 5th.

As for feeling old, that only happens when I see my nieces with children of their own.

I believe I'm eligible for a Gulf War award because I served at the very beginning of Desert Shield, I didn't deploy but my battalion did. They deployed on September 29th, I got out on October 5th.

As for feeling old, that only happens when I see my nieces with children of their own.

311958[/snapback]

Now THAT would make me feel old, too. Luckily my only niece is nowhere near old enough to have kids. and neither is my own daughter.

Well, today marks the anniversary of the day I left for the Army. 17 years sure doesn't take long to go by does it?

I can remember that first weekend very well. I arrived in South Carolina at about 11:30 pm that Friday night. We didn't get to Fort Jackson until about 2:30 am because we had to wait in the airport for another flight and then had to wait for an Army bus to come get us.

Around 3:30 am I ate my first Army meal, Veal patties with Mashed potatos and carrots and a bowl of orange sherbet.

The weekend was pretty boring because it was a holiday weekend, which meant that we had to stay at the reception battalion for a couple extra days. On Monday, which was the actual holiday we were allowed to sit in the day room and watch movies. I watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and Top Gun, then someone was injured somehow and had to go to the Emergency room. They needed a volunteer to go with him so I went, I figured it would be a good way to see a little bit of the post.

Anyway, that was 17 years ago this weekend. Hard to believe.

wow, 17 years ago i wasn't even an embryo! I mean, 17 years ago my brother was 5!

I just have to say VBG, nice facial expressions!

me.jpg

It's The DEER IN HEADLIGHTS look! :clap:

Edit: 17, not 1

That picture, if I recall properly was taken on Thanksgiving day 1988. Me and a few friends were going to spend the long weekend in an apartment that we had rented for a few days (you could rent the apartments by the day there). My buddy grabbed my camera so I decided to strike a pose. As you can tell it was in the evening, I was either just getting into or getting out of a cab when it was taken.

In about 2 weeks it will be 33 years since I enlisted in the Navy.  17 and needed a job.  Law of unintended consequences I ended up seeing a tad more action than I intended.

327080[/snapback]

That happens in the Military. I never invisioned ever doing anything more than perhaps sitting off the coast of Iraq for four or five months, not participating in Shock and Awe when I joined. 17 years ago...wow. I was 5. Kindergarten!

I tried to join the Army.

My interview was going well until they asked why I wanted to join the Army.

I said "Because I want to defend the Germanic forces in Lower Saxony from the Prussian onslaught".

They rejected me!!! Can you believe it??? :look:

I was outraged.

Apparently along with "Don't Ask Don't Tell", they have another rule that says "If You Are Completely Mad, Then You Can't Join Us".

Ridiculous!!!!! :look:

I've seen people discharged for lapses in mental stability. My uncle was given a Psych Discharge in the early 80's because he had a few issues with the fact that he had actually killed someone.